Gibson Brands Forums

Price Drop. . .Red Flag??

On  My Sweetwater wish list is a Walnut J 45. Today I noticed a price drop of $500. My first reaction is: why? Would anyone have a plausible idea why.

I’m tempted to jump on this, even though I can’t afford to.

Edited by Dennis96013

Oftentimes a retailer will have a guitar sitting on the wall for too long, so they lower the price. It happened all over by the end of 2015, for instance, These days, people tend to save their money, so I imagine it happens more now than a couple years ago.

Sweetwater has the best rep in the business, so I wouldn't worry here. But drop them a line if you're concerned.

Edited by Pinch
  • Like 2

Walnut is good but not a hot mover as far as J-45’s go… $500.00 off is roughly a 20% discount which is something you can negotiate on just about any New Guitar every day of the week.. Make sure it’s not a Demo.. If it is ask for more off… 

Edited by Larsongs
  • Upvote 1

On 3/16/2024 at 5:47 AM, Dennis96013 said:

On  My Sweetwater wish list is a Walnut J 45. Today I noticed a price drop of $500. My first reaction is: why? Would anyone have a plausible idea why.

The prices are not supposed to be at "suggested retail price", which was an anomaly, due to lack of supply, not only of guitars, but of all other goods. This lack of supply is a direct consequence of 2 years of COVID, where factories were closed, supply-chains fell apart, etc. 

Now things are starting to normalize, retail prices should come down to like 10-15% below the suggested retail price, at least for normal non-Custom shop guitars. So nothing to panic about! 

10 hours ago, Murph said:

Don't be a party pooper, Pepper...

A limerick, then.

Don’t be a party pooper, Pepper
Dennis needs encouragement, not a side-stepper
So what if he goes in debt?
He’ll be happy buying the walnut, I bet
And he’ll do it faster than Jesus healing the leper

😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Because Sweetwater would usually keep their price at $2399 like the other websites have it listed right now (Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, AMC, etc).   

If you can negotiate a $500 discount on a $2400 guitar, maybe you can negotiate a further discount on a guitar that's listed at $1900? 

There is a used Walnut J 45 on Reverb right now listed for the same price.  

Also, I bet some people never tried to negotiate a discount on any new guitar.  Ever. 

Timely, the first guitar I bought last year was a new walnut j45. not knowing anything at the time, or what I was getting. I just asked the GC guy if that was the best he could do?  He took a couple hundred off just to close the sale.  Found out later it came to the  pretty standard *discount*  price.  I realize now I could have gotten more, but learning curve.  

I second the “just hanging around too long, move it out, need to free up rack space for new ones coming in” move.  I’m into my J45 Walnut, even though it’s the slightly narrower Studio, I like the articulation and presence in the sound.   I can see why they say it is great for recording.  The notes really stand out.  At first I thought I’d eventually move up to one of the full J45’s, but now that I have my ears tuned to all sorts of different builds and woods, the standard J45s aren’t grabbing me as much any more.  

Edited by PrairieDog

48 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I second the “just hanging around too long, move it out, need to free up rack space for new ones coming in” move.  I’m into my J45 Walnut, even though it’s the slightly narrower Studio, I like the articulation and presence in the sound.   I can see why they say it is great for recording.  The notes really stand out.  At first I thought I’d eventually move up to one of the full J45’s, but now that I have my ears tuned to all sorts of different builds and woods, the standard J45s aren’t grabbing me as much any more.  

If it’s been hanging around that usually means it’s been played by who knows how many guys? I consider them Demos. I would want more than 20% off.. Unless it was so magical I couldn’t live without it. Otherwise I’d want one brand new in the wrapper….

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

If it’s been hanging around that usually means it’s been played by who knows how many guys? I consider them Demos. I would want more than 20% off.. Unless it was so magical I couldn’t live without it. Otherwise I’d want one brand new in the wrapper….

Yeah, you’ve said that often before.  I don’t understand the cooties over demos? As long as they aren’t damaged, I figure what’s wrong with people playing them? I’m not buying them to nestle on pillows in sealed glass cases.  I just think of it as free break-in time.  

Playing the one on the floor, I can hear what that that guitar sounds like.  Even better if they have had a chance to breathe out of the box for a few months or more.   Isn’t the advice to “play” as many as you can, so you can find the “right” one?  The first thing I learned here was even in the same builds, guitars will vary widely in tone/playability/finish.  The one from the backroom, that I didn’t get to play, could end up sounding like crap.  Then I gotta drive 60 miles to return it, blah blah blah.  

A really good example, the sodden, croaking, dead J45 I tried back in June, sounded okay when it was still there in November.  Imagine if I had tried a different demo in June, and had demanded one from the back and they handed me that one.  I would have been po’d and brought it back.  What a waste.  But if I wanted it now, I wouldn’t have to wait 6 months for it to dry out to be playable.  

Besides, demos can save some bucks as you noted.  

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Yeah, you’ve said that often before.  I don’t understand the cooties over demos? As long as they aren’t damaged, I figure what’s wrong with people playing them? I’m not buying them to nestle on pillows in sealed glass cases.  I just think of it as free break-in time.  

Playing the one on the floor, I can hear what that that guitar sounds like.  Even better if they have had a chance to breathe out of the box for a few months or more.   Isn’t the advice to “play” as many as you can, so you can find the “right” one?  The first thing I learned here was even in the same builds, guitars will vary widely in tone/playability/finish.  The one from the backroom, that I didn’t get to play, could end up sounding like crap.  Then I gotta drive 60 miles to return it, blah blah blah.  

A really good example, the sodden, croaking, dead J45 I tried back in June, sounded okay when it was still there in November.  Imagine if I had tried a different demo in June, and had demanded one from the back and they handed me that one.  I would have been po’d and brought it back.  What a waste.  But if I wanted it now, I wouldn’t have to wait 6 months for it to dry out to be playable.  

Besides, demos can save some bucks as you noted.  

Nothing wrong with a Demo if it isn’t damaged,is sold as new & comes with Factory Warranty.. In my experience many are dinged, scratched & have some kind of damage.. Not all but some.. Like I said if it was that magic I can’t live without it Guitar, a couple dings & scratches wouldn’t matter, I’d buy it.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Nothing wrong with a Demo if it isn’t damaged,is sold as new & comes with Factory Warranty.. In my experience many are dinged, scratched & have some kind of damage.. Not all but some.. Like I said if it was that magic I can’t live without it Guitar, a couple dings & scratches wouldn’t matter, I’d buy it.. 

I wonder if it’s a regional thing.  Up here in Minnesota, where in general folks tend to be fairly polite and considerate, I don’t come across many floor damaged demos (Except for the drummers, we all tend to play very discreetly when testing things out, so as not to disturb the other customers😆) The dinged things are marked “scratch and dent.” Well, except for Cracked Top Hell  GC we were in last month, and 20% or more  of the tops were split but still full price. That was on the store though for letting them all dry out.  

4 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

I wonder if it’s a regional thing.  Up here in Minnesota, where in general folks tend to be fairly polite and considerate, I don’t come across many floor damaged demos (Except for the drummers, we all tend to play very discreetly when testing things out, so as not to disturb the other customers😆) The dinged things are marked “scratch and dent.” Well, except for Cracked Top Hell  GC we were in last month, and 20% or more  of the tops were split but still full price. That was on the store though for letting them all dry out.  

I live in Southern California…. And anything goes here…..

On 3/16/2024 at 12:47 AM, Dennis96013 said:

That 60s J-45 Original for $2199 is tempting

23 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

PrairieDog,

We were in North Miami in December, and because I didn't dare take a guitar down on the plane, I visited a Guitar Center just to noodle for a bit.

I was shocked by the number of acoustics that were damaged beyond repair, and yet were on display at full price.

I was neither impressed by what I saw, nor how I was treated by staff during my visit, and would never spend any money in their stores.

RBSinTo 

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

PrairieDog,

We were in North Miami in December, and because I didn't dare take a guitar down on the plane, I visited a Guitar Center just to noodle for a bit.

I was shocked by the number of acoustics that were damaged beyond repair, and yet were on display at full price.

I was not impressed by what I saw, or how I was treated by staff during my visit, and would never spend any money in their stores.

RBSinTo 

Nod, it’s really weird.  The GC near us is in an outer-ring suburb, and the folks there are all pretty cool and helpful.  The place is kept up and it feels okay going in even as a chain store, it feels kinda “personal.”   The hell-scape was in town, and the place was a pit, and the staff ran from  rude to just uninterested in working.  

They stored the good guitars in locked ranks, reaching up the wall, so you had to ask somebody to retrieve anything you were interested in.  And most required the big ladder.  The guy was all but outright surly when we asked  to have the one brought down that we drove 40 miles to see. And then he vanished.   Gee, I really hated to bother him with what should have been a pretty certain sale.  

I get that they probably get a LOT of teenage wannabes with no cash banging through. But they could consider that few middle-aged folks are spending their afternoon just larking about, wanking on guitars for no reason.  

I think it’s a safe bet, most anybody with grey hair they don’t know, walking in a Guitar Center, is there because they are seriously thinking about buying something.  If they lead  into the good room, pay attention.  Our $4,000.00 was eagerly put in the till elsewhere.

Edited by PrairieDog

15 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Up here in Minnesota, where in general folks tend to be fairly polite and considerate, 

Yea, I remember.

Even your riots were "peaceful".....

default_eusa_whistle.gif

• Haha 2