Gibson Brands Forums

I Guess Julius Cesar Thinks This Is What You Want

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 3:05 PM, merciful-evans said:

Ugly it may be, but if someone like Slash started gigging one of these, they'd be flying off the shelves and Gibson admin would crack open another case of champagne. 

Slash would first own a replica of it and pass it off as the real McCoy.

No need to worry even if the Ted fails, Cesar Gerkin and his family will not be eating hot dogs and macaroni and cheese. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

No need to worry even if the Ted fails, Cesar Gerkin and his family will not be eating hot dogs and macaroni and cheese. 

I recently heard in a documentary video that folks in the US consume over 30 billion hotdogs each year (collectively, not individually...) - pretty amazing - would that be considered the national dish? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

I recently heard in a documentary video that folks in the US consume over 30 billion hotdogs each year (collectively, not individually...) - pretty amazing - would that be considered the national dish? 

More like a "Food Group". Personally, my definition of Food Groups is quite different than US national standards. Hot dogs, Corn Dogs, (a hot dog on a stick dipped in a corn meal batter and then fried. It was invented in Illinois, USA, btw!), bratwurst, Italian sausages, Kielbasa, Polish sausage, (and similar ground meats stuffed into casings), are one food group. Bacon is in it's own food group. Chocolate, (anything chocolate), is another food group. Sweet candy is another food group. Sour candy, sour fruit (like limes, lemons, and grapefruit), and anything else that's sour, are in their own Food Group. The list keeps going.

Yup, Yanks are not the healthiest people. That's why I eat what I want and always wear my AED (automated external defibrillator) at all times, LOL!

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Haha 1

Those Corn Dogs are called Dagwood Dogs or Pluto Pups here - God knows why?...they tend to be sold from things like food vans at agricultural shows which are what I guess you would call a county fair or something like that, but they are not common fare for us.

Hey I used fair and fare in the once sentence! 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

they tend to be sold from things like food vans at agricultural shows which are what I guess you would call a county fair or something like that, but they are not common fare for us.

Same here! For the vast majority of Americans they only ever eat them at those places, if ever. Yet hillbillies like me and mine, always have some in our freezer, because they are a food group for us! Below is an inflatable "Corn Dog" hanging in my backroom, given to me by a friend. 

A1Kj3Zc.jpg

8 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Those Corn Dogs are called Dagwood Dogs or Pluto Pups here - God knows why?...they tend to be sold from things like food vans at agricultural shows which are what I guess you would call a county fair or something like that, but they are not common fare for us.

Hey I used fair and fare in the once sentence! 

In Japan they called corn dogs - stick dogs.

The US’s national food is probably a hamburger.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Chicago dogs are the best.

You get all the food groups at once.

Love a Chi dog. First had one when I was in Chicago when I was in Great Lakes going to school in the Navy in the late 80’s.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Chicago dogs are the best.

You get all the food groups at once.

The 5 food groups are:

Beer (mostly ones you can’t see through)

Scotch (vodka or bourbon will also do)

Chocolate (milk or dark)

Bread (sourdough)

Cheese

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2024 at 4:28 PM, Company Grip said:

🙋🏼‍♂️😳

I finally got around to watching your review (personally I think your reviews are among the very best out there) and I thought it was very fair to the guitar - ultimately it just comes across as what would be a decent if unexciting package in a bizarre shape. The CS one is better(ish), but I'd never buy either when you consider what else is available at the price points. Your guitar did look extremely well built and finished as you pointed out. [thumbup]

On 3/31/2024 at 3:08 AM, 'Scales said:

I finally got around to watching your review (personally I think your reviews are among the very best out there) and I thought it was very fair to the guitar - ultimately it just comes across as what would be a decent if unexciting package in a bizarre shape. The CS one is better(ish), but I'd never buy either when you consider what else is available at the price points. Your guitar did look extremely well built and finished as you pointed out. [thumbup]

Hey! Thanks for the kind words. I have been impressed with it so far. It was set up fantastic for the 10s that were on it and of course needed minor tweaks for the custom set i installed. 
Cheers!

On one hand, I admire Gibson's nod to the history of this older design, and the never-realized guitar that Ted McCarty sketched all those decades ago. 

I sort of like the body shape, the switch placement, and the wonky angles on the pickguard. 
And I love the single Volume and Tone knob (four would have been overkill), and the frontal jack placement. 

On the other hand, even though it was what Ted McCarty envisioned back in 1957, the hocky-stick (okay, scimitar) headstock just looks dated and off  to me. 

My 1986 Kramer Ferrington has that headstock shape, and it's one reason why I'm not comfortable playing it live. 
(I keep it high-strung/Nashville strung hybrid, and only use it for recording.)

th?id=OIP.Z6s_XJq8YV77VstRmSltlAHaFj%26p

Oh well. 
We'll see if the Theodore sells. 

If not, we'll be able to buy one off of Reverb for 800 bucks next year. 

🤨

On 3/19/2024 at 12:15 PM, Rabs said:

Yeah cos the custom shop ones were so popular... Sheesh...  Ugliest Gibson since the dreaded Firebird X. I dont really care if it was from an old drawing, Theres probably a good reason he  decided not to make them in the first place. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I was wondering what others would say about that design.  Gibson keeps sending me emails a lot.  After that last design. I unsubscribed them.  Now Dietz music has a ES335 I have my eyes on. Now, according to Deb, I can't have two Red guitars. they look the same she says. So they have one in cream. Lol.