Gibson Brands Forums

I Guess Julius Cesar Thinks This Is What You Want

2 hours ago, Murph said:

That's the second dumbest statement I've ever seen.

Successful people fail ALL THE TIME.

The difference is, they don't QUIT.....

Abraham Lincoln Didn't Quit

Probably the greatest example of persistence is Abraham Lincoln. If you want to learn about somebody who didn't quit, look no further.

Born into poverty, Lincoln was faced with defeat throughout his life. He lost eight elections, twice failed in business and suffered a nervous breakdown.

He could have quit many times - but he didn't and because he didn't quit, he became one of the greatest presidents in the history of our country.

Lincoln was a champion and he never gave up. Here is a sketch of Lincoln's road to the White House:

• 1816: His family was forced out of their home. He had to work to support them.
  • 1818: His mother died.
  • 1831: Failed in business.
  • 1832: Ran for state legislature - lost.
  • 1832: Also lost his job - wanted to go to law school but couldn’t get in.
  • 1833: Borrowed some money from a friend to begin a business and by the end of the year he was bankrupt. He spent the next 17 years of his life paying off this debt.
  • 1834: Ran for state legislature again - won.
  • 1835: Was engaged to be married, sweetheart died and his heart was broken.
  • 1836: Had a total nervous breakdown and was in bed for six months.
  • 1838: Sought to become speaker of the state legislature - defeated.
  • 1840: Sought to become elector - defeated.
  • 1843: Ran for Congress - lost.
  • 1846: Ran for Congress again - this time he won - went to Washington and did a good job.
  • 1848: Ran for re-election to Congress - lost.
  • 1849 Sought the job of land officer in his home state - rejected.
  • 1854: Ran for Senate of the United States - lost.
  • 1856: Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination at his party’s national convention - got less than 100 votes.
  • 1858: Ran for U.S. Senate again - again he lost.
  • 1860: Elected president of the United States.

I did the structural design of about two hundred buildings and none of them have fallen down, as far as I know.

What level of failure would you accept?  Would it be o.k. if five of them collapsed and twenty people died, or would it be o.k. if a couple balconies collapsed and only two people died?

Would it be o.k. if one of my bridges collapsed but nobody was injured?

It's easy to have lower standards when you don't kill people when you fail.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

That's the second dumbest statement I've ever seen.

Successful people fail ALL THE TIME.

The difference is, they don't QUIT.....

Abraham Lincoln Didn't Quit

Probably the greatest example of persistence is Abraham Lincoln. If you want to learn about somebody who didn't quit, look no further.

Born into poverty, Lincoln was faced with defeat throughout his life. He lost eight elections, twice failed in business and suffered a nervous breakdown.

He could have quit many times - but he didn't and because he didn't quit, he became one of the greatest presidents in the history of our country.

Lincoln was a champion and he never gave up. Here is a sketch of Lincoln's road to the White House:

• 1816: His family was forced out of their home. He had to work to support them.
  • 1818: His mother died.
  • 1831: Failed in business.
  • 1832: Ran for state legislature - lost.
  • 1832: Also lost his job - wanted to go to law school but couldn’t get in.
  • 1833: Borrowed some money from a friend to begin a business and by the end of the year he was bankrupt. He spent the next 17 years of his life paying off this debt.
  • 1834: Ran for state legislature again - won.
  • 1835: Was engaged to be married, sweetheart died and his heart was broken.
  • 1836: Had a total nervous breakdown and was in bed for six months.
  • 1838: Sought to become speaker of the state legislature - defeated.
  • 1840: Sought to become elector - defeated.
  • 1843: Ran for Congress - lost.
  • 1846: Ran for Congress again - this time he won - went to Washington and did a good job.
  • 1848: Ran for re-election to Congress - lost.
  • 1849 Sought the job of land officer in his home state - rejected.
  • 1854: Ran for Senate of the United States - lost.
  • 1856: Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination at his party’s national convention - got less than 100 votes.
  • 1858: Ran for U.S. Senate again - again he lost.
  • 1860: Elected president of the United States.

February 1st, 1850, Edward Baker Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's second son died at 3 years of age from "chronic consumption" , presumably due to medullary thyroid cancer.

February 20th, 1862 William Wallace Lincoln, Abraham Lincolns third son, died at the age of 11 from typhoid fever at the White House in Washington DC.

Just thought I would add to the massive list of loss Lincoln suffered without ever giving up. These two devastating deaths affected Mary and Abe far more than any other political/personal setback they ever experienced together.

10 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

February 1st, 1850, Edward Baker Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's second son died at 3 years of age from "chronic consumption" , presumably due to medullary thyroid cancer.

February 20th, 1862 William Wallace Lincoln, Abraham Lincolns third son, died at the age of 11 from typhoid fever at the White House in Washington DC.

Just thought I would add to the massive list of loss Lincoln suffered without ever giving up. These two devastating deaths affected Mary and Abe far more than any other political/personal setback they ever experienced together.

Someone’s life tragedy’s are not failures, they are life events. 

Ever have anyone close to you die that’s not a failure it’s life.

• Upvote 1

To return to the OP:

The Theo is better looking than the Gibson Moderne IMO.  Along with the Explorer, it seems to me that each of these design shapes dates from the late 1950s.  Am I right?

The Theo isn't really 'aimed' at you or me.  It's aimed at young players including FEMALES who don't want a grandad-style heavy Les Paul or any 'traditional' design.  I quite like the red one and I'm certain they play well and sound good or they'd never have made it into production. 

How come people on here moan about Gibson just producing fancy high-price LPs for bankers etc, the same old designs, and then when they try something new the same people moan about that too?  Give it a rest!

If you don't like Gibsons you can always go and buy a Greco. [wink]

When I first became a member of this forum the convention was that if you didn't like something written or had nothing positive to contribute to a thread, you kept your counsel to yourself and moved on to the next topic.  I found that out fairly quickly.    Seems that's gone now.  You don't have to be rude. 

As for success; does anyone here (or ANYWHERE else) have a Les Paul made between 1962 and '67? 

No they don't as production ceased in late 1961 due to poor sales.  So you could say they weren't a success during that time.

http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/

Best wishes to all.

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

That was Ted’s original plan design a guitar for girls. I’m not moaning about the price. I’m moaning that it looks ridiculous. The best design plan that Gibson had is a sketch on a napkin that Ted did in a meeting when he was bored in 1957? Are you serious? If it was going to be such a great world changing guitar, why didn’t they put it in production around 1958?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That was Ted’s original plan design a guitar for girls. I’m not moaning about the price. I’m moaning that it looks ridiculous. The best design plan that Gibson had is a sketch on a napkin that Ted in a meeting when he was bored in 1957. Are you serious?

I'd like to try one!   That's all. 

Girls will probably dig it (I don't know) - and there are lots of odd-shaped guitar designs out there, always have been.  The Theo might even last longer precisely because of that.

YMMV eh?

Edited by jdgm

Posted (edited)

To anybody on here that thinks this is so great. Where is your new guitar day? They’re available now put your money where your mouth is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

It's easy to have lower standards when you don't kill people when you fail.

Someone should explain that to the doctors in the US that kill, (on average) 251,000 people per year due to provable medical negligence/malpractice.

PS - Thank you for your pursuit of perfection in your field, especially since anything less than perfection in your field would be undoubtedly lethal for countless people. Just as I stated before, learning from failure is no longer acceptable once someone reaches the point in their profession at which their failures go from personal life lessons to catastrophes that devastate others.  Learning from failure implicitly demands eliminating failure in order to advance professionally.   

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I found this guitar that appears to be made for "girls", and it's totally nuts! I heard that if a guy tries to play it, it will only play the EVH solo Erectio...    ...oh, just ignore me!

(Edited by Phil)

Gives a new meaning to C-ock Rock.

Its even got nut wrinkles.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gives a new meaning to C-ock Rock.

Sadly, it only is able to perform, when played by a female, for 15 min or less. It then requires a cigarette and a long nap before attempting to be played again. 

4 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Sadly, it only is able to perform, when played by a female, for 15 min or less. It then requires a cigarette and a long nap before attempting to be played again. 

Does it need to be fluffed before a gig?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I think it's time to leave. Y'all that have been friends, thank you.

Before you go, I demand a firing. Did you call Cesar Gerkin Pickle and drop a dime?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Yeah, some brands can do it, some can't.

433696779_3635233953364500_4426636417067

That would be cool if it was black with the green girl. Too much green. Um that’s got nipples on it you better delete that . . . Oh wait you’re a mod. Carry on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 hours ago, jdgm said:

How come people on here moan about Gibson just producing fancy high-price LPs for bankers etc, the same old designs, and then when they try something new the same people moan about that too?  Give it a rest!

If you don't like Gibsons you can always go and buy a Greco. [wink]

When I first became a member of this forum the convention was that if you didn't like something written or had nothing positive to contribute to a thread, you kept your counsel to yourself and moved on to the next topic.  I found that out fairly quickly.    Seems that's gone now.  

There are certain members here who don't own Gibson guitars, don't really play guitar, and are not Gibson enthusiasts. The only reason they would join a Gibson forum is because they have no real life.

They snivel and whine about every single thing the Company does.

It's weird.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Murph said:

There are certain members here who don't own Gibson guitars, don't really play guitar, and are not Gibson enthusiasts. The only reason they would join a Gibson forum is because they have no real life.

They snivel and whine about every single thing the Company does.

It's weird.

Had lots of Gibson (ES-335, BB King, SG’s x 3, LP’s x 4, J-15, and an Explorer)and joined when I had Gibby’s. I had another ES-335, but it must’ve got dropped during shipping because when I got it, it had a broken head stock so the next day it went back. Then I got BB to replace it. At the end of King Henry’s reign when he was getting tossed out on his a-ss after so called saving the company, and then damn near bankrupting it, I traded BB for my 000-28, and sold the SG Special. Never was one of my Gibson‘s a dog, and the only reason I sold my J-15 was because I just didn’t dig the tone. There was nothing wrong with it. I just did not like that walnut tone.

Like I said in the previous post if this guitar is so great where is your NGD? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 3/19/2024 at 4:04 PM, slimt said:

Well these look like walmart specials  didnt gretsch do something along these lines?

Its been done before yes. The Ted M sketch was from 1957. Is it a coincidence that the Ric 950 was introduced in 1957?

For all anyone knows Ted could of seen this at the time

hsc7qc9afxvy50e0ywbo.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Its been done before yes. The Ted M sketch was from 1957. Is it a coincidence that the Ric 950 was introduced in 1957?

For all anyone knows Ted could of seen this at the time

hsc7qc9afxvy50e0ywbo.jpg

Yes.  Teisco had one. Greco ,  I thought it might have been Gretsch or Guild had that shape as well.