Gibson Brands Forums

Must See TV?

Posted (edited)

What are you watching?

Over the last nine months I've binge watched Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and Suits.

I've also just watched James Clavell's, Shogun.  If I could, I'd watch  Gunsmoke every night.  I like the way Matt Dillon handled his business.  Yeah, James Arness was the tallest man in Hollywood.  He actually played the thing in the movie, The Thing.

I also like a sci-fi show called Resident Alien.  That's turned out to be a pretty good show.

So what's must see TV for you?

Edited by Californiaman

My only must-see TV series is "Seal Team".

In addition to that I also watch some cable news, Blue Jays baseball and Maple Leaf hockey games and a Canadian comedy series now in re-runs called "Corner Gas".

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Karloff said:

I watch a lot of old horror flicks,  random youtube videos,  ancient aliens ...

I don't watch any shows regularly 

Chuckle, as an archaeologist, those alien shows drive me crazy.  If the aliens had space travel technology why did they just leave us with some “lego” pyramids and rock circles instead of warp drives and fusion?   What would be the point for them?  Spend all that energy to come play blocks with us, and then just leave?  They could have colonized the whole planet and extracted whatever resources they needed.  

The human brain was just as powerful back then as it is today.  It was capable the same kind of higher thought and imagination we have.  We didn’t need “foreigners” to teach us how to build and create. We did all that great stuff ourselves, and it’s even more amazing when you put a human hand to it instead of making us helpless apes at the mercy of outsiders.

Well, this, and we’ve never found a single bit of alien trash left behind in all the excavations done at all the places  aliens supposedly had a hand.  

Which also happens to be the reason we know for certain time travel isn’t going to happen.  Not a single cigarette butt/gum wrapper in King Tut’s tomb 😄 

You guys are actually watching some good stuff 

Shogun was sooo good until the last episode then it was so bad it kinda diminished the whole thing. I liked it way better than game of thrones then they just did the laziest most anticlimactic ending where everything that was built up the whole time kinda just fizzled into nothing. Keep in mind that was the final ending, there is no next season to this storyline 

right now Baby Reindeer on Netflix is really hot. If you haven’t seen that it’s really good. It’s about a guy with a female stalker. The victim is a comedian in real life and I guess he knows how to act too because he portrayed himself in the series 

Fallout is also really good but I dunno how many gamers we have here. Maybe just me and Rabs. Even if you didn’t play the game you’d probably like the show you’d just miss all of the references to the game 

my main gripe is that honestly the guy playing the mech suit dude is one of the worst actors I’ve ever seen. I can’t figure out why they cast him and I can’t imagine how frustrating it was directing his scenes 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

right now Baby Reindeer on Netflix is really hot. If you haven’t seen that it’s really good. It’s about a guy with a female stalker. The victim is a comedian in real life and I guess he knows how to act too because he portrayed himself in the series 

We tried watching that, but after the third episode it just became too predictable and annoying. It's was like watching someone hitting themselves over the head with the same hammer.

I think the ability to stream certain platforms has been a revolution in the TV watching industry.  Some platforms have undertaken a policy of implementing really high pricing for direct to the consumer service.

Two main culprits are NBC and Disney. Peacock lost $978 million in Q3 of 2022 and  $565 million in the summer of 2023. The only thing I would stream on Peacock is the English Premier League, as I'm a soccer fan.

Forbes indicates that Disney+ has lost 11 billion since it launched.  I do not watch Disney as I don't have little princesses residing or visiting my house.

Other entertainment streamers have not faired so well either, but have made a turn towards profitability, as Paramount Global's direct to consumer division has narrowed its losses by 44% to $286 million. Probably the largest streaming service is Netflix.  Netflix reported a $5 billion loss.  Netflix has implemented several changes to increase profitability.  One such was cracking down sharing account codes with others.

Still, consumers are cutting the cable, dissing the dish and turning in to new horizons in entertainment options for their tv, computer, tablet and streaming devices.  As it is a new choice for consumers, I think the industry is going to go through growing pains as they attempt to figure it all out. 

Me, I like the choices available.  I recently binge watched Ozark staring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney.  It's a gritty, drama series of a family from Chicago that moves to the Lake of the Ozarks and has to deal with a series of bad choices that involve the local hill billies, the Mexican Cartel and the Mob, as they navigate their new role they find themselves in. 

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Chuckle, as an archaeologist, those alien shows drive me crazy.  If the aliens had space travel technology why did they just leave us with some “lego” pyramids and rock circles instead of warp drives and fusion?   What would be the point for them?  Spend all that energy to come play blocks with us, and then just leave?  They could have colonized the whole planet and extracted whatever resources they needed.  

The human brain was just as powerful back then as it is today.  It was capable the same kind of higher thought and imagination we have.  We didn’t need “foreigners” to teach us how to build and create. We did all that great stuff ourselves, and it’s even more amazing when you put a human hand to it instead of making us helpless apes at the mercy of outsiders.

Well, this, and we’ve never found a single bit of alien trash left behind in all the excavations done at all the places  aliens supposedly had a hand.  

Which also happens to be the reason we know for certain time travel isn’t going to happen.  Not a single cigarette butt/gum wrapper in King Tut’s tomb 😄 

Well the answer to your question is simple:

Aliens, from across the galaxy have lived by the Prime Directive for thousands of years.

• Haha 1

Well when the prices more than double within a 5 year span subscribers are leaving like we did.

We got rid of Hulu, Disney Plus and now Paramount... and we cancelled Youtube Premium as there really wasn't any benefit. We are keeping Netflix and Prime for now.

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Fallout is also really good but I dunno how many gamers we have here. Maybe just me and Rabs. Even if you didn’t play the game you’d probably like the show you’d just miss all of the references to the game 

my main gripe is that honestly the guy playing the mech suit dude is one of the worst actors I’ve ever seen. I can’t figure out why they cast him and I can’t imagine how frustrating it was directing his scenes 

I loved it and having played Fallout 3 and 4 as well as well as New Vegas, they nailed it. Not so happy with Fallout 76 and have given it a miss. Rumour is that there's another game on the way....

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Californiaman said:

Well the answer to your question is simple:

Aliens, from across the galaxy have lived by the Prime Directive for thousands of years.

Chuckle, of course, but didn’t they violate it when they left behind all those henges and giant heads for generations to ponder and future archaeologists to dig up?  Spawning centuries of culture wars, and popular media industries debating “who did this?”  😁  

Edited by PrairieDog

16 hours ago, rct said:

3 Body Problem on the NutFlix.

I saw this. It was ok. Almost a modern approach to War of the Worlds. Not usually my thing but it was very well thought out. 

Like CaliforniaMan's OP, I loved Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I've never seen better TV. I saw it all a while back though. 

Now I'm watching Dexter (up to 3rd ep) and Ripley (also 3rd ep). Ripley is in black & white and the scenes are beautiful. 

I have watched nearly every series of Car S.O.S. Its a late night watch for me. I wish there was more Taskmaster available. We've seen all 6 series on NFlix, but there's loads more been made.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:28 PM, Californiaman said:

I also like a sci-fi show called Resident Alien.  That's turned out to be a pretty good show.

This show is hilarious and I love it!!! Alan Tudyk is one of my favorite physical comedy actors. I first saw him in Firefly/Serenity, where his limited screen time and minimal comedic dialogue gave me no idea of how funny he was. His role as Dutch in Transformers: Dark of the Moon was awesome. His quirky way of playing Dutch seems to have led to his roll as Harry in Resident Alien, IMO. 

Roadkill/Roadkill Garage, Full Custom (Ian Roussel), Fallout, The Boys, Invincible, Utopia (US version), The Lazarus Project (TNT), Star Trek Discovery, Star Trek Strange New Worlds,  The Mandalorian, and Evil (Paramount).  (NASCAR on the weekends)

Posted (edited)

I agree, Alan Tyduc was a great choice for Resident Alien.  The guy is hilarious.  I can't believe the way the last episode ended.  But it's only fitting because the show has so many different directions it has taken.  I particularly love the back stories on every character.  The writers have done a great job exploring and developing every character in the show.  

Edited by Californiaman
  • Like 1

I don't watch tv. but James Arness wasn't the tallest man in Hollywood. He was 6 foot 7 inches tall.  Brad Garrett in Hollywood was 6 foot 8" tall. That beat James Arness. 

• Like 1