Gibson Brands Forums

Is He For Real

Posted (edited)

He has the ways and means to buy them, and he does pay those stupid prices like they were the price of packet of gum.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/gear/it_shouldnt_cost_100000s_of_dollars_joe_bonamassa_on_how_les_pauls_went_from_just_a_guitar_to_coveted_relics.html 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)

it's good to be "Joe"

LOL!

I really can't say how much better a 60 year les paul would be compared to my 30 year old les paul

don't really need to know either.  that vintage stuff, aint my bag unless it's MY vintage stuff

that's different.

I think..

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My stuff is vintage 2013 and 2020. 

Hey Joe, if you’re on this forum, and you’re reading this, and that pisses you off that vintage guitars are so high priced why don’t you just stop buying them then because you’re the main offender of it and one of the guys driving them to that ridiculous price.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

it's good to be "Joe"

LOL!

I really can't say how much better a 60 year les paul would be compared to my 30 year old les paul

don't really need to know either.  that vintage stuff, aint my bag unless it's MY vintage stuff

that's different.

I think..

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My stuff is vintage 2013 and 2020. 

Hey Joe, if you’re on this forum, and you’re reading this, and that pisses you off that vintage guitars are so high priced why don’t you just stop buying them then because you’re the main offender of it and one of the guys driving them to that ridiculous price.

I'm the most vintage thing in my possession . 

• Haha 2

Not my guitars.. But it seems I am now classed as vintage  😮

According to mr net

The majority of experts have agreed that items over 50 years old but less than 100 years old can be called vintage or collectable, but not antique.

10 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Not my guitars.. But it seems I am now classed as vintage  😮

According to mr net

The majority of experts have agreed that items over 50 years old but less than 100 years old can be called vintage or collectable, but not antique.

Rabs,

Thanks for clearing that up.

My 1974 D-28 is now classed  by experts as "vintage", but not yet "antique".

Can I assume that my life will now radically change for the better, and I'll be inundated with fame, fortune, wine, women and song, and............ women? 

Or should I be asking the experts?

Lemme know.

RBSinTo

Posted (edited)

KidB, i think going off myriad videos on YouTube of people testing various LPs in guitar shops and picking the one they like best, it’s fair to say they are each unique and therefore not all the old stuff is equal or better than the new stuff…it’s all a subjective lottery 😄- we probably both envy and ridicule those who collect the high priced stuff because the frugal gene in us is stronger than in them!

Rabs, in turning 50 you and I are now in what I’d call The Great Transition!
This is it Rabs, this is it….just don’t sit back and watch [unsure] make it what you will! [thumbup]

Edited by 'Scales
Can’t spell for (cracked) nuts…

14 hours ago, 'Scales said:

KidB, i think going off myriad videos on YouTube of people testing various LPs in guitar shops and picking the one they like best, it’s fair to say they are each unique and therefore not all the old stuff is equal or better than the new stuff…it’s all a subjective lottery 😄- we probably both envy and ridicule those who collect the high priced stuff because the frugal gene in us is stronger than in them!

I would have to have watched those videos to have my impression tainted one way or another.  I can assure, I do not watch these.  

And I also am not one who buys into "oldest is bestist" 

My main players range from 25 to 30 years old, I've had these since they were new.

I can't really say how a pristine 50s Les Paul or Strat would really be   I wouldn't pass up trying one. But I'm not even putting my hands on a guitar that costs $25/30k or more.  + $100K?  nope.   That's all look, don't touch.

I don't envy the guy who can afford it, and I'm not one to ridicule how someone spends their own money.  Not my circus, not my monkeys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Hey, Willies has an original owner ‘56 Black LP case queen for the bargain price of $55,000! What an opportunity! 😎

Joe is already on it.

On 5/23/2024 at 1:18 PM, kidblast said:

it's good to be "Joe"

LOL!

that's different.

I think..

I know that I’m vintage, but only one of my guitars is getting to that stage.  ……Seriously, I don’t know if my Hummingbird (20 years old) can be shown scientifically to sound better or worse than an older or newer Hummingbird.  All I know is that it’s always sounded real good to me.  Some guitars really “open up” to the ears of the owner.  To me, all of my guitars sound good.  New, newer, or vintage.  Each guitar has its own personality and if I can find part of me in that personality, I’m happy.

Joe Bonamassa was on a show I saw today discussing his guitar collection, Norman's Rare Guitars. He said he has 513 guitars and he will never sell one, but will continue to buy more. He has 18 1959 Les Pauls. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Joe Bonamassa was on a show I saw today discussing his guitar collection, Norman's Rare Guitars. He said he has 513 guitars and he will never sell one, but will continue to buy more. He has 18 1959 Les Pauls. 

I honestly don’t care and mostly shrug when the rich are playing with their money, but that is tipping toward almost malevolent selfishness… All I can see now is him sitting on top of his pile up at the ceiling…  rubbing his hands together muttering, “my precioussessses, all mine… all mine…” 

I wonder who stole his toys when he was a kid?  

Edited by PrairieDog

27 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I honestly don’t care and mostly shrug when the rich are playing with their money, but that is tipping toward almost malevolent selfishness… All I can see now is him sitting on top of his pile up at the ceiling…  rubbing his hands together muttering, “my precioussessses, all mine… all mine…” 

I wonder who stole his toys when he was a kid?  

He was opening for BB King at 12 years old. Starting buying guitars then. It doesn't bother me at all when people do well and make a lot of money. I just hope they also do something for people that might not have anything to eat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

He can buy what ever he wants. Just like I wont buy his music, cause If I'm gonna listen to an Albert King lick, I want to hear Albert doing it, at least on a recording, and not boring Joe the copycat.

In a way I’m inclined to think it’s good cos it means 18 less ‘boutique’ Guitar Shoppes trying to hype them to ‘investors’ - its kind of like they are being put in a museum, which maybe Joe might build if he wishes some day.

14 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

He did show one of his three 1958 Gibson Flying Vs, each valued at 275k. His 59 Les Pauls were valued over 3 mill. At least he's buying good stuff.

He buys the good stuff so you don’t have to.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That sort of puts it all in perspective for me. 

5 hours ago, kidblast said:

net worth around 20 million,  so yea,  he can buy some serious stuff..  

More power to him.

I love the guy.  I think he's great.

With all his guitars it’s probably a bit more. Over 500 axes and several valued at 3 mil. I think he’s got over five 50’s LP’s, could be more. He’s got amps too.

Good for Joe he’s rich and we’re not.