Gibson Brands Forums

Strings Around or Through the Stop Bar?

Twiz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok heres my output on strings around or thru. I did lower my stop bar all the way down with my strings thru the stop bar, and I could hear a change for the better, plus I felt a better vibration throughout the neck of the guitar, but I broke a string after minutes of playing, the stop bar cut the "knot" the holds the bead on the strings, ant exactly the point where the stop bar touches the strings , so I guess its fare to blame the new set-up. So ok stop bar all the way down good, contact with string bad, so I put the string around the stop bar, no big change in sound I think what makes the difference is the stop bar all the way down, but the angle to the bridge is very low, not sure there's enough down pressure on the saddles, intonation holds fine though.

Otherwise we'd still be.......playing archtop guitars in our big bands.

EXCUSE ME!

So here's a pic of a gig I did a few weeks ago at one of the largest concert halls in St. Louis' date=' Missouri, where were you playing wigglestick. And, by the way, if you sell off that list of guitars in your signature, you might have a pretty nice down payment on an L-5.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3393/3455619685_81c4878e57_o.jpg[/img]

I Heard Billy Gibbons had his pearly gates strung around the bridge so it can't be all that bad.

Here are a couple of snaps of 'Pearly Gates'... both Through and Over.

PG1and2.jpg

(They're both from The Beauty of the 'Burst).

If you wrap the strings over the stopbar, the moment arm that causes the torque of the mounting studs in the wood will almost double in length. Thus, twice the load will be placed on the stopbar mounting points. It doubt it'll break, though.

Edit: changed 'bridge' to 'stopbar' - thanks 80LPC!

DJ

--

Do you mean the stopbar screws rather than the bridge mounting points ?

I think I measured the difference in height between the holes in the stopbar and the top surface being 7mm. If you wrap the strings over, they are 7mm higher and increase the turning moment on the screws and inserts. But if you can then lower the stopbar by 7mm, you are back to the original torque. Except there's something else....Due to the direction of the wrap, string tension wants to spin the stopbar. This is restrained by the stopbar screws, but this results in an additional torque acting on the screws and inserts pressed into the top of the guitar.

I wouldn't do it to mine, but of course, this is how it was on the original combined bridge / tailpiece.

Definately through.

More angle of the strings across the bridge equals better sustain and longer string life.

If you're going to wrap them, you might as well make two or three wraps. Then you can fight the tuning isuues even more.

• 2 years later...

Remember, Billy Gibbons uses .12s, which probably contributes more to his sustain. I've tried both ways and couldn't tell much of a difference, though I find stringing through alot easier. Also, while 17 degrees is of course the Gibson headstock angle standard, in the Norlin years some of the guitars had an angle closer to 14 degrees (as my '72 SG-1 does, it almost looks like a Fender to me sometimes if I look down while playing it.)

Remember, Billy Gibbons uses .12s, which probably contributes more to his sustain. I've tried both ways and couldn't tell much of a difference, though I find stringing through alot easier. Also, while 17 degrees is of course the Gibson headstock angle standard, in the Norlin years some of the guitars had an angle closer to 14 degrees (as my '72 SG-1 does, it almost looks like a Fender to me sometimes if I look down while playing it.)

Billy uses .7's for his main guitars, and .8's for his slide playing, not 12's. He likes a very light string. This info is here: Look at 5min 25sec

Billy uses .7's for his main guitars, and .8's for his slide playing, not 12's. He likes a very light string. This info is here: Look at 5min 25sec

He uses light strings because he is a frail, old man. People don't notice his build because he is usually layered with hats, long coats, and that beard. Cobain did the same thing with layering sweaters. That cat was raised-on-Twinkies-and-pop-in-a-shack skinny.

Oh weird, thanks for the info Jay, I swear I remember in the 80s reading a Guitar Player interview in which he said he used .12s. (I can't imagine how, really, considering some of the bends he does...sounds painful, in 25 years I've gone from .10s down to .09s, and on one guitar, .08s )

No problem. His tech talks about how Billy has additional chambering done in the bodies of his guitars and even in the necks....wow. Chambering the neck of a guitar? Well, I never......lol.He has a pretty cool set-up, and, like angus uses an iso box off stage for his amp.I've gone up from 9's over the years to 11-52's...That's a rock star thing, the layering evol, it adds "depth" to thier "persona" and provides a little bit of visual stimulis to the show.it's usually put together by a stylist for them, but, probablly not with Cobain, he looked like he just dressed like that. Billy though looks like he has a team working to help turn him into a kind of cartoon character, or, he really is just "out there". He is an old man though, must be in his 70's..."Twinkies-and-pop-in-a-shack skinny." Too funny man....LMFAO.

Oh yeah......through. [thumbup]

Neck chambering? That's insane! [thumbup] I'd be afraid to try that myself. (And in the wake of the Firebird X, let's not give Gibson any more wild ideas!) And Lungimsam, love that Maestro Vibrato box, I put one on my black Special to try to approximate a poor man's Angus (not a Gibson box either, wish I could find an affordable one with the lyre engraving). I like the Maestro better than my Bigsby, even if it is just a piece of bent metal, it seems to stay in tune better for me!

Holy crap, this thread is back?

I've since stopped top-wrapping on all my Guitars. I stopped as soon as I noticed the strings digging into the tailpiece of my SG Standard.

I didn't notice any difference in sustain, or tone weather I was top-wrapping or stringing them through the tailpiece. I did find that it was easier to do bends when I top-wrapped though.

Gibbons uses .07's.His guitar tech complains all the time because it's hard to play with such light strings and Billy has a light touch.

Lungimsam, love that Maestro Vibrato box, I put one on my black Special to try to approximate a poor man's Angus (not a Gibson box either, wish I could find an affordable one with the lyre engraving).

I bet if you could make a stencil of the lyre engraving, and take it to a trophy shop, they could engrave it on your blank one for you. I will be glad to get pics or a pencil shading of mine for you if you like.

Is that legal? Maybe you could engrave your name instead of Gibson.

Archived