Gibson Brands Forums

Albums that changed the future of music.

Homz

This is kind of off topic' date=' but in 1977 at CBGBs in New York, there were quite a few bands to come out of that little club.

I think a "Place" like CBGBs had a lot to do with changing the overall music scene.

Bands like The Talking Heads, Blondie, The Ramones and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers all played CBGBs.[/quote']

That place had the grossest bathroom in rock. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little before my time...but Elvis's first album has to be thought of as a world changer, doesn't it?

From 1956:

ELVIS PRESLEY

Blue Suede Shoes

I'm Counting On You

I Got A Woman

One-Sided Love Affair

I Love You Because

Just Because

Tutti Frutti

Trying To Get To You

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry Over You

I'll Never Let You Go

Blue Moon

Money Honey

One of the problems with the question is how to define the change that the albums ushered in. Are we talking about changes in music/song composition as a result of the album being made? Or is it a question of how later albums were recorded, conceived of, etc.? Or perhaps did the album open the way for an entirely new genre of music? Or...?

Many of the albums listed thus far were groundbreaking, but how many truly "changed the future of music," to come back to the OP's question, and how did they do it?

Anyone care to elaborate on their choice(s)?

Everyone's gonna hate it but there's no denying it's stature.

N.W.A.StraightOuttaComptonalbumcover.jpg

I love Straight Outta Compton' date=' thats a sweet album. I think the Chronic might be a strong rival in that category because it defined gangster rap in the 90s.

Going on a 90s theme I'd also have to say either [i']Surfer Rosa[/i] or Doolittle by The Pixies are definitely worth mentioning because they pretty much laid the groundwork for the whole alternative rock genre, and did it very well.

stevierayvaughan_couldnt.jpg

SRV's Sophomore Album revived the Blues and Started the guitar world Buzzing. The video for Cold Shot gave Stevie and Texas Blues a world Audience. Next thing you know, every guitar player in the world is wearing a Bolero hat....

Richie_Sambora_O2.jpg

like Richie Sambora

Jeez The Beatles...EVERYTHING!

The Doors first album for introducing theatre (when it back fired pretentiousness), improvisation and moulding styles into what many bands copied.

Pet Sounds..it didn't chenge anything???It changed everything.

Led Zeppelin's first album for taking what the black American blues artists had done and turning it into something so new.

Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced..I think this evolved into the a different type of thing to Sabbath.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.

Black Sabbath's first album for single handedly being responsible for what we think of metal as today.

Iron Maiden, Priest and all the other guys from the NWOBHM who again created somthing new.

Metallica Kill Em All...again something so new.

Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force.

Radiohead's The Bends.

Nirvana's Nevermind..Brilliant!

Completely agree with Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction too!

This isn't including the rock n' roll 50's because I don't know specific albums only songs.

I love Straight Outta Compton' date=' thats a sweet album. I think the Chronic might be a strong rival in that category because it defined gangster rap in the 90s.

[/quote']

Definatly.

'Let me ride', Quality track.

Another defining Rap album would have to be

The Wu Tang Clan-

Ya gotta love O.D.B :-k)

Wu-TangClanEntertheWu-Tangalbumcover.jpg

Archived