Gibson Brands Forums

taking all strings off at one time?

Foxboron

I've heard both ways, however Gibson does recommend that you follow their instructions for tuning. I'm not sure where their recommendations are right now, I was just looking for them, but I do remember reading something like that when I got my SG.

However, how you want to change your strings is up to you; some do it all at once, some one by one.

I do my guitars one by one, but I'm sure if you don't leave the strings off for more than half an hour or so then you should be fine. I don't know if anyone would be stupid enough to leave the strings off for a long period of time anyways.

Most guitars are shipped from the factory in a detuned state (little or no tension on the strings). Should not be a problem at all for the time it takes to R and R all the strings. I always use a string change as an opportunity to polish and condition.

Every couple months or one a year I'll take them all off to oil the fretboard and such. If you do it with your Les Paul, a good idea is to wrap a little masking tape around the tailpiece and post so that it doesn't come falling off and scratch your maple top.

All the strings off, Clean the frets, then oil the fretboard with a touch of Lemon oil, wait for the fretboard to absorb it then wipe away any excess oil... Re string and Tune...

Tim posted some good pics the other day of him cleaning his fretboard...

Regards

Some folks leave the 2 E strings on too stop the tail piece falling off... Bare this in mind if your guitar has a nice top...

Regards

why not take off the tail piec, palce the strings on it.

clean the guitar. take the tail piec on and tune <.<?

I do one at a time unless I'm oiling the fretboard. It keeps the bridge and tailpiece on my BFG and keeps some tension on the trem of my PRS. I did learn a nice little trick when restringing a Strat while taking all strings off. Stick the backplate under the trem, it'll keep tension on the springs.

Every couple months or one a year I'll take them all off to oil the fretboard and such. If you do it with your Les Paul' date=' a good idea is to wrap a little masking tape around the tailpiece and post so that it doesn't come falling off and scratch your maple top. [/quote']

I actually use a rubber band instead of tape, which also works quite nicely...

I always make a production out of it, one at a time and separate burial plots for each string, so it costs a bit more but after giving me so much pleasure it's worth it.

Although I've substituted the coffins for Glad freezer bags.....

Changed strings today, on one of my Ric 12-strings! What a pain, that is! But, it's WORTH IT!

I usually change the pairs, with the octave string first, as they are in the channels, in the headstock.

Tune back to pitch, then move on to the next pair. Haven't lost a tailpiece or needed an TR adjustment

(more than normal, for weather/humidity reasons, that is) yet. Do the same thing on my Gibby's and

Fenders...one string at a time. No problems, yet.

CB

Archived