Gibson Brands Forums

Patriotic retirement bail-out plan - (non-partisan political)

Notes_Norton

This was sent by a friend and I thought it too good not to share (of course it is probably impractical and even if logical, will never happen):

Dear Mr. President:

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force.

Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered- Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed. It can't get any easier than that! If more money is needed, have all members of Congress and their constituents pay their taxes... If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know. If not, please disregard.

Notes

If all the bail out money that has already been paid out was divided between all the citizens of the United States the economic crisis would be over now. Problem is the bail out money has been paid out and vanished already so they can´t do it again, there just isn´t enough money to do it...

If all the bail out money that has already been paid out was divided between all the citizens of the United States the economic crisis would be over now. Problem is the bail out money has been paid out and vanished already so they can´t do it again' date=' there just isn´t enough money to do it... [/quote']

C'mon they can just print some more money.

another good idea is take all the people who have perfect mortgage payment records and universally cut their interests rates to say 4%. then the responsible middle class who fuel the economy anyways, will have more money to buy cars, repair/improve their homes, etc.. which puts people to work and dumps money back into the economy.

The post was intended for humor. It is probably too simplistic to work, and even if it would work, it would never happen because the people who influence the government would never let it happen. Many of the vacant jobs would be outsourced or never filled, there would be rampant cheating, and the under 50 crowd would protest.

But I'm over 50 so I of course think it's a great idea.

The economy has been going downhill since Clinton (who I did not vote for) left office. One political party got us into this mess and the other seems to be getting us in deeper.

IMO, The major multi-national corporations have become the government and our elected officials are merely their puppets.

The American experiment has been corrupted and the founding fathers must be spinning in their graves.

Notes

I'm over 50 too and this is a great idea. Only other stipulation I would incude is that they all must start or join a classic rock band so we can eliminate that other pesky problem of too many karaoke bars ...

The American experiment has been corrupted

the founding fathers must be spinning in their graves.

As a political animal' date=' I agree with you 100%.

[b']Most people have NO IDEA how profound this has become.[/b]

As a political animal' date=' I agree with you 100%.

[b']Most people have NO IDEA how profound this has become.[/b]

Wow! Neo and I are agreeing on something :-D

Seriously, while we don't always agree on the potential solutions to the problems our great nation is facing, at least we agree that it is broken and it needs to be fixed.

Notes

Yes' date=' but do the math: $1M x 40M = $40,000,000,000,000 (that's 40 trillion).

Makes our current national debt look like a kid's piggy bank.

[/quote']

What am I missing?

The way I see it, if you gave each of 40 million people one million dollars each, it would only cost 40 million dollars.

And I'm over 50 so I'd be one of the millionaires. Id pay off my mortgage, buy a new US built car, a new Gibson SG and to be fair a Strat, and instead of gigging for money, play for benefits taking no pay for myself, but only pay for the roadies (creating a few new jobs) and the rest going to charity.

Besides, it ain't gonna happen anyway, even if 300 million people sent this letter to the white house.

It's just a fun rant meant in humor.

If I was smart enough to know the absolute solution to the problem, I'd write a book, and instead of publishing it, I'd sell it to the highest bidder to keep it out of circulation and then have my own multi-billion parachute. <big grin>

Notes

$1million isn't enough! I'm 49, if I continue working for another 10 years, I'll do better on my own...also, if the government taxes the severance package (they'll have to unless they change the tax laws) then that $1M certainly won't last long...

I have a better plan...KILL the income tax altogether! Flat tax or Fair tax instead. This way, everybody that pays taxes now, ends up with more money in their pockets to do with as they please, which will lead to more personal savings, more consumer spending and more private sector hiring...Everybody who's been getting a "free" ride by not paying income taxes, will start to pay their fair share and everyone will live happily ever after.

KSG, I like the flat tax idea. I would propose a national sales tax, and put the out-of-work IRS agents as undercover unreported barter police.

I'd also make drugs, prostitution and gambling legal and taxed.

I'd take away the tax exempt status of religion.

I'd eliminate all price supports and corporate welfare.

I'd make personal welfare into workfare. Sure somebody can be down and out and need help, but there is nothing wrong with asking them to do something in return, even if it's clean streets and paint over graffiti.

I'd eliminate monopolies or cartels on media, and bring back the rule where one company was only allowed to own a few media outlets, and I would also add that a media company could only be a media company.

I'd get rid of all lobbyists.

I'd tax every instance of outsourcing jobs that could be done by US citizens.

I'd take away business licenses of companies who hire illegal immigrants unless the illegals had bulletproof false documentation, and I would prosecute fraud to the fullest extent of the law.

I'd dissolve the two party system and disband both the Democrats and Republican parties making multi-party popular vote elections. And whoever was the runner up would become vice president with veto power.

And in the end it might make a bigger mess than we have today, or help fix it. I don't consider myself educated enough to know the solutions, but smart enough to think of some possible fixes.

Notes

KSG' date=' I like the flat tax idea. I would propose a national sales tax, and put the out-of-work IRS agents as undercover unreported barter police.

I'd also make drugs, prostitution and gambling legal and taxed.

I'd take away the tax exempt status of religion.

I'd eliminate all price supports and corporate welfare.

I'd make personal welfare into workfare. Sure somebody can be down and out and need help, but there is nothing wrong with asking them to do something in return, even if it's clean streets and paint over graffiti.

I'd eliminate monopolies or cartels on media, and bring back the rule where one company was only allowed to own a few media outlets, and I would also add that a media company could only be a media company.

I'd get rid of all lobbyists.

I'd tax every instance of outsourcing jobs that could be done by US citizens.

I'd take away business licenses of companies who hire illegal immigrants unless the illegals had bulletproof false documentation, and I would prosecute fraud to the fullest extent of the law.

I'd dissolve the two party system and disband both the Democrats and Republican parties making multi-party popular vote elections. And whoever was the runner up would become vice president with veto power.

And in the end it might make a bigger mess than we have today, or help fix it. I don't consider myself educated enough to know the solutions, but smart enough to think of some possible fixes.

Notes[/quote']

I'd also take away all tax exempt status from all not for profit organizations if these others were implemented.

KSG' date=' I like the flat tax idea. I would propose a national sales tax, and put the out-of-work IRS agents as undercover unreported barter police...+1

I'd also make drugs, prostitution and gambling legal and taxed...I'd make those State issues instead of Federal

I'd take away the tax exempt status of religion...So churches should pay taxes on the church member's offerings and tithes? This money has already been taxed at the earner's paycheck.

I'd eliminate all price supports and corporate welfare...+1, but I would lower corporate tax rates, we are among the highest taxers of corporations in the world.

I'd make personal welfare into workfare. Sure somebody can be down and out and need help, but there is nothing wrong with asking them to do something in return, even if it's clean streets and paint over graffiti...+1billion

I'd eliminate monopolies or cartels on media, and bring back the rule where one company was only allowed to own a few media outlets, and I would also add that a media company could only be a media company...I'm ambivalent on this

I'd get rid of all lobbyists...Lobbying is free speech, it's a much more efficient means of working with the gov't, I would enforce pay-to-play rules and police the lobbyists and the senators/congress.

I'd tax every instance of outsourcing jobs that could be done by US citizens...How can companies compete in a global market without some outsourcing?

I'd take away business licenses of companies who hire illegal immigrants unless the illegals had bulletproof false documentation, and I would prosecute fraud to the fullest extent of the law....+1billion

I'd dissolve the two party system and disband both the Democrats and Republican parties making multi-party popular vote elections. And whoever was the runner up would become vice president with veto power...We'd be like Italy and a lot of the European countries where they are constantly fighting to build coalition governments and are in constant turmoil. The VP used to be the runner up, but it didn't work out to well...

And in the end it might make a bigger mess than we have today, or help fix it. I don't consider myself educated enough to know the solutions, but smart enough to think of some possible fixes...I would term limit ALL politicians and term limit the Supreme Court justices too, I think that would go a long way towards fixing the problems in our gov't.

Notes

another good idea is take all the people who have perfect mortgage payment records and universally cut their interests rates to say 4%. then the responsible middle class who fuel the economy anyways' date=' will have more money to buy cars, repair/improve their homes, etc.. which puts people to work and dumps money back into the economy.

[/quote']

Fenn,

That is what i am trying to do. I locked my new rate in at a little better than 4%. I am coming down from 5.25%.

Anyway, my credit is really good (over 800) and my house appraised higher than I needed it too.

I have been waiting for almost 2 months for the bank to apprrove it.

Fenn' date='

That is what i am trying to do. I locked my new rate in at a little better than 4%. I am coming down from 5.25%.

Anyway, my credit is really good (over 800) and my house appraised higher than I needed it too.

I have been waiting for almost 2 months for the bank to apprrove it.[/quote']

did you have to do a total re-fi with all the associated costs? or did your lender offer you a simpler modification with lower fees? several years ago, i was able to knock off 1.25% from my loan with a modification and a one time fee of 500.00. i approached my current lender asking for something similar and they looked at me like i was nuts. rather than accommodate me, they are willing to watch me seek a better rate elsewhere and lose my business. seems pretty stupid of them to push me away. i don't get it.

The purpose of government in the US is to divide the people and create a sense of crisis

that allows those in power to continue to steal the wealth of the nation for themselves and

their corporate masters.

Point with pride,

View with concern..

So this plan would not get any traction.

Every three years we must fix Social Security, because it's broke.

Every two years we must address the immigration crisis.

North Korea is the gift that just keeps giving if your a politician-camera hound.

We spend more on health care then any nation on earth, and we don't have a health care program!

What a country!

Archived