Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson pickups - something change here?

NeoConMan

Looking at the Gibson pickups page - How They're Made;

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They_re%20Made%20%281%29/

I was studying the chart below, comparing output of pickups to refresh my memory.

pickups_output-chart.jpg

Then I moved on to the text surrounding the diagram, and noticed this;

Full Wax Potting

Every Gibson pickup is potted in a special wax bath to insure that microphonic feedback due to internal vibration is eliminated. All covered models receive a second wax bath to further protect the pickup.

I was under the impression that the BurstBucker Pro was the only potted BB.

The BB 1, 2, and 3 used to be unpotted for the sake of vintage originality.

When did this change?

Have I been wrong all this time?

(That's impossible....)

:-)

I was under the same impression. Especially after playing my buddy's R7 with BB 1 and 2s. Although they are more mellow than the 490R/498T in my Studio, they definatley have more hiss and feedback a lot more when the gain/volume is turned up.

Looking at the Gibson pickups page - How They're Made;

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They_re%20Made%20%281%29/

I was studying the chart below' date=' comparing output of pickups to refresh my memory.

[img']http://www.gibson.com/files/_gear/pickups_output-chart.jpg[/img]

Then I moved on to the text surrounding the diagram, and noticed this;

Full Wax Potting

Every Gibson pickup is potted in a special wax bath to insure that microphonic feedback due to internal vibration is eliminated. All covered models receive a second wax bath to further protect the pickup.

I was under the impression that the BurstBucker Pro was the only potted BB.

The BB 1, 2, and 3 used to be unpotted for the sake of vintage originality.

When did this change?

Have I been wrong all this time?

(That's impossible....)

:-)

Well, here's what they're still saying about the BBs:

BurstBucker™ pickups from Gibson Gear now give guitarists a choice of three replica sounds from Gibson's original "Patent Applied For" pickups - the pickups that give the '59 Les Paul Standard its legendary sound. The three BurstBuckers™ - all with unpolished magnets and non-potted coils, like the originals - represent the variations found among vintage Gibson humbuckers.

I think they want us to be confused.

My former Guitar Pro/Luthier Extraordinaire recommended BB Pros for my LP Classic several years ago.

They were being used as factory pickups in the Standard, replacing the 490/498 combo.

I asked for his advice on which to buy, he warned me against the BB 1, 2 and 3 because they were not potted (like the originals) and were somewhat prone to microphonic squealing and outright failure (like the originals).

He had removed several from new Gibsons and the BB Pro was the favorite replacement choice.

I considered 57 Classics, but I already had them in other guitars.

Decided to go for variety and got the POTTED BB Pro....

If I ever do another swap, that LP will get a set of 57/57 Plus pickups.

Archived