Gibson Brands Forums

Who has a Gibson Firebird?

Are they any Good? I saw one the other day at Guitar Center and thought to my self "Hey Allen Collins played one of those" didn't get a Chance to play it as i was to busy looking at the SG's investigating why they got a price cut, So before i left i went to go check the price for the Firebird out of curiosity and found it pretty reasonable considering the prices Gibson asks for its other Guitars.

Are they any good?

Only the player can make that decision.

I have one and it is one of my main players.

I like the access to the upper register and the neck feel in general.

The newer mini' humbuckers were a little thin and harsh to my liking so I made a change there.

Are they any good?

The newer mini' humbuckers were a little thin and harsh to my liking so I made a change there.

+100000000000000000000000

The neck feel is what I love too.

Ever since I got mine I play it more than my other Gibsons. This guitar is a blues machine!

Are they any good?

Very true, only the player can make the decision. I had a friend who loved my old Firebird but it was too big and bulky for him to play himself. Really not a fan of the mini humbuckers? I thought they had a nice full sound to them, kind of similar to the 57's. What did you end up replacing yours with?

I used to have a '64 reverse Firebird III. I bought it because of it's "futuristic" looks, and the fact that Johnny Winter and Dave Mason (and a couple of local players) were playing Firebirds at the time. In fact, it was my first Gibson. I played it a lot until I bought an LP about a year later. A few years after that I got a 335, and the Firebird was getting less and less playing time.

For me, other than appearance, the Firebird did not hold a candle to the LP or 335 in playablity and sound, and pretty much got put away in the storeroom. I eventually pulled it out and set it up for slide due to the upper fret access, but then learned that I couldn't play slide, and had little chance of ever being any good at it. At this point I decided to sell it and the market was "right". I tripled my money on it at the Dallas Guitar Show.

I will say I still do surf e-bay for the elusive 63/64 white Firebird VII. If I came across one at the right price (AND had the cash) I would have a hard decision to make.

The drawbacks to the Firebird to me are pretty much the same as stated above, it's awkward size and shape (especially the overall length), the fact that they are so neck heavy and don't hang well, and the mini-humbuckers just didn't do it for me once I bought (and heard) my LP Standard.

But one thing you gotta admit, MAN THEY LOOK COOL.

wow these are all gorgeous!

its funny because i almost bought one of these last week!

but then my buddy told me about a rosewood tele...and the rest is history...they are GORGEOUS though!

itll be my next electric...either that or an es330!

keep playing everyone!

Archived