Gibson Brands Forums

How long does it take your browser to open this thread?

saturn

Hmmmm....

I thought it was the work computer since mostly I get onto the forum from there when I'm coffee breaking.

Usually there are a couple of reasons a server will slow down.

One is a bandwidth "thing" where it's like only so much water can go through a pipe of a given size. Another is if there are a horrendous number of connections to or through a given server. Or.... the server can be bogged down for one or another software issues on a web page such as this.

It's not necessarily any "cheapening."

Heck, it could instead be a lot of folks trying to get onto what is essentially a very full and valuable site. Hmmmm.

This time of night it could be an effort to back up. Some modes of backup are horridly slow and slow the computer.

I don't know the server config this thing is using (Apache tomcat). My understanding is that it's effectively an open source server application in Java which I know little about. I know in the olden days sometimes without a specific "garbage collection" module the machine would really slow down, especially if you were using various sorts of virtual memory. Firefox tends to do that, too, especially I thought in Ver. 2 and especially on some machine configurations. So... I dunno.

Well; it's the same over here in the UK at pretty much any time of the day and that includes times when I'm the only one logged on.

I'm with a fairly fast broadband ISP and it still took around 13 secs to open the original post, 22 secs to open the 'add reply' page and I'm about to find out how long to get back to the topic page...

EDIT: 25 seconds to return and a further 18 seconds to add my EDIT.

"Could Do Better" as my teachers used to say...

11 seconds to open the thread

about 20 to get the reply open.

Not really all that unusual for me though... some site open really fast and others take more time. This site works about as well as Facebook most of the time, and better on occasion.

But, in the interest of science...

tracing the path to Gibson:

Tracing route to forums.gibson.com

1 2 ms 4 ms 3 ms

2 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms

3 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms

4 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms

5 21 ms 21 ms 22 ms

6 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms

7 27 ms 24 ms 25 ms

8 57 ms 56 ms 55 ms

9 58 ms 57 ms 57 ms

10 56 ms 55 ms 56 ms

11 57 ms 56 ms 56 ms

12 57 ms 56 ms 57 ms

13 55 ms 55 ms 55 ms

14 62 ms 62 ms 61 ms gibson-t3.customer.alter.net

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * ^C

Not great, but not horrible either.

I'm going with server side issues.

As others have said... SO many different things that could cause a slow responding server.... not the least of which could be internal infrastructure devices, like load balancers and such.

Archived