Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Strings

Watermelon99

Hey all.

I am using a Les Paul Studio 08' with Brite Wires strings .09 - .42

They rust and change color really fast, and I go through a set in about 2-3 weeks.

Maybe I just play a lot, or maybe the strings just don't last long.

Is there any other kind of strings that still sound great and last longer?

Where do you live?

Humid climate makes a big difference.

Wipe down the neck and strings with a dry cotton cloth after playing.

This will help some, but most of the crap on the strings comes from YOU.

My kid plays one of my guitars for only a few minutes and it's like he rubbed cheese all over it.

Beyond that, look for strings with a high nickel content.

its simple' date=' wash your hands before and wipe down the guitar after you play every time. I use the vintage 9's by gibson on the sg and lp and either boomers or slinky's on other 7 guitars. swap out on a monthly basis[/quote']

and that too. I change em every month or month and a half.

its simple' date=' wash your hands before and wipe down the guitar after you play every time. I use the vintage 9's by gibson on the sg and lp and either boomers or slinky's on other 7 guitars. swap out on a monthly basis[/quote']

I know this sounds disgusting, but if i'm playing a gig and have to use the bathroom i rarely wash my hands as i like them to be bone dry to avoid stickiness.

Actually, if you wash your hands about 10 mins before you play, they will be drier than if you don't. That said, I am gonna recommend Cleartone Strings. They are expensive at $14.98 a set, but they last forever and sound great. If you don't break any, they can last up to a year (that's me playing for 2 hours every day and gigging at least once a week). So, they actually cost less...

Bob

I know this sounds disgusting' date=' but if i'm playing a gig and have to use the bathroom i rarely wash my hands as i like them to be bone dry to avoid stickiness.

[/quote']

You could always just ask the guy in the next urinal to take it out and hold it for you.

Actually' date=' if you wash your hands about 10 mins before you play, they will be drier than if you don't. That said, I am gonna recommend Cleartone Strings. They are expensive at $14.98 a set, but they last forever and sound great. If you don't break any, they can last up to a year (that's me playing for 2 hours every day and gigging at least once a week). So, they actually cost less...

Bob[/quote']

:) #-o=D>

You could always try Elixir Strings. they have some kind of protective coating on them that makes them last longer and stay cleaner.

Other than that, do what many others have said. Keep your fingers clean and wipe down the strings after every use...

I use Ernie Ball 10's and they last a good 2-3 months...

• 2 weeks later...
You could always try Elixir Strings. they have some kind of protective coating on them that makes them last longer and stay cleaner.

Other than that' date=' do what many others have said. Keep your fingers clean and wipe down the strings after every use...

I use Ernie Ball 10's and they last a good 2-3 months...[/quote']

I found the Elixirs horrible compared to the Ernie Ball Super Slinky 10's. The minute I plugged it in after a string change, WOW!!! It sounded so good, clear, crisp!

Of course I did leave the previous set of strings on for nine months, but I note the same crispy sound every time I change the strings every month to two months.

A good ol' $5.50 set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky or GHS Boomers do well...Strings like it or not SHOULD be changed after a couple of weeks of playing anyway. Maybe less if you have several guitars. So the above mentioned strings give you more bang for the buck!

• 1 month later...

Has anybody tried custom gauges for strings? Or Ernie Ball skinny top/heavy bottom? I feel that the short-scale neck loses some tone with .10's. But, geez, .11's are tough to bend, at least for me.

And I tried Elixirs once (on another guitar) and I really disliked them. They definitely would have lasted longer - like new, even, but 1) new strings are a bit bright for me and 2) Even after a while, I couldn't feel them under my fingers the way I feel other, 'regular' strings. No friction, I guess. I found it hard to play. I changed them.

And for me, I change strings about once a month, give or take. When they start to feel rusty.

Archived