Gibson Brands Forums

back From 1959 Les Paul Auction

Duende

Okay, here is the story. I had a lesson at the RCM today (receiving one, not giving one,) so by chance was in Kensington (near the auction-I hadn't planned on going). I got a text from Simon (Flight 959) as I was leaving, saying do I fancy surprising Rog and ABC and having a meet up, so I thought what the hell!!

Roger was in the Guitar room, full of Classical guitars (going back to the 19th century) and a host of Gibson gems and of course the 1959 Les Paul.We got to play everything we desired, probably thanks to the Roger connection [-o<

Simon and I both played the 1959 Les Paul and it was gorgeous. We compared to to a Tom murphy R9 straight after and there was no comparison. The R9 was good, not astounding though, but good. The real mc coy was probably one of the nicest guitars I have played. The balance, timbre and feel made were the superior factors.

Photos of us playing it coming soon.. for now here are these

The Holy Grail original 1959

DSC00357.jpg

Simon, Roger, ABC and me

DSC00361-1.jpg

Playing the lovely R9

DSC00359.jpg

Simon trying it too

DSC00360.jpg

You chaps in England are a tight group of Gibson players.

Wish we here in the states were as close group as you are over in England.

Good for you guys.

Keep the faith.

Cheers.

I fell the same way....

but it might be the fact that america is so vast..... and the people are generally less friendly... and lazier.... and lack proper manners sometimes..

kinda makes it harder to get together...... and where I live there aint too many musicians.

I fell the same way....

but it might be the fact that america is so vast..... and the people are generally less friendly... and lazier.... and lack proper manners sometimes..

kinda makes it harder to get together...... and where I live there aint too many musicians.

England isn't a Monty Python movie... those sorts of people exist everywhere. It may be an island, but it still takes quite a while to get from one part of Britain to another.

pohatu771 (bless him for the kindness) said:-

It may be an island, but it still takes quite a while to get from one part of Britain to another.

Well - let's put that into perspective.

USA pop. circa 308 million in some 3,794,066 square miles in 5 time zones

UK pop. circa 61 million in some 94,526 square miles in 1 time zone.

USA's longest road (Interstate 90) is 3,112 miles long

UK's longest road (A1) is 409 miles

USA'a Lincoln Highway (Route 30 coast to coast road) is 3,073 miles long.

The UK in it's entirety is only 300 miles across at it's widest, 700 long from North to South.

We are all a lot closer together than our American brothers and sisters,

and it doesn't take long to get from one extremity of this little island to another.....

what is the writing on the guitar?

The writing is the late Les Paul's autograph.... That R9 is one of two original prototypes... Its No 2..

Roger has the pics to upload of the real deal and im sure they will be on here later...

I dont thinks she sold....Bidding in the Room went up to 98K I think...

Had to dash of after it all ended... Did many of you ladies watch it on the internet...?

The day

a great lesson in the afternoon at the RCM

Pizza for breakfast lunch and dinner

a codeine for my back and the lovely high it gave me too :-$

Having free reign on a room full of guitar beauties and playing the Holy Grail of Lesters :D

seeing great and cool mates

Guitar society, open mic, friendly atmosphere and lager in the evening and my lovely mum and dad came

all the above...proof of a supreme being exists and wants all his children (especially if they love guitars) to be happy!!

Matt

Guys, question...what was that Gibson between the Grabber Bass and the Burns Whatever-It-Is on the floor, has recorder pickups? That caught my eye more than the '59 truth be told, although to hold a gen-you-ine '59 in my hands would be nirvana, jeez that's the year I was born. Just curious what that other one is, I've never seen one like that.

Archived