Gibson Brands Forums

Gun advice

Thundergod

The Mick had a point' date=' buckshot isn't going to stop after it goes through the perp. You're in real danger of shooting through your own house and hitting a neighbors, damaging their property or seriously injuring them. [/quote']

All houses are made of concrete around here so that's probably not an issue O:)

And I dont quite like my neighbour anyway :D

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(as we learned from former-Vice President Cheney)

That was a tiny .410 shotgun, at a distance, and not in he torso.

Aim for center of mass every time - between the nuts and the neck.

#6 birdshot may be less than lethal at a distance, inside a house it's all over.

The benefit is the low chance of overpenetration.

Whatever it hits will stop it or absorb any lethal energy it has.

Even drywall and insulation will soak up most of it's harmful ability.

I can anything I want.

I chose a Mossberg 590 pump.

9 rounds plus 4 in the stock.

13 rounds of hell, waiting for the bad guy.

You don't need a gun. Take some courses on conflict resolution and try to understand why people become criminals in the first place. Remember that the criminal probably turned to crime, because of evil big business and the basic unfairness of life...he probably just needs a hug.

You don't need a gun. Take some courses on conflict resolution and try to understand why people become criminals in the first place. Remember that the criminal probably turned to crime' date=' because of evil big business and the basic unfairness of life...he probably just needs a hug. [/quote']

hippy :-

My downstairs armory includes my daily carry, a Kimber Pro Carry stainless (.45 cal.) and Mossberg 500 12 ga. loaded with alternating #4 buck and 00 buck. The upstairs armory includes a Daewoo 9MM, another Mossberg 500A and a High Point .40 S&W carbine. The Kimber and the High Point are equipped with lasers and all have night lights available when necessary. The Kimber I put on before my shoes every morning. It's never more than arm's reach from me.

With respect, if you are SERIOUS about getting a firearm, you should GET serious about it and quit joking around. It's hard to be serious about giving you information when half your posts on the subject are flippant.

P1010047.jpg

stay away from .357 round for home defense. in a middle of the night, light out situation, the muzzle flash will blind you (and the sound will make you deaf). a wheel gun is a good choice.i would get the .357 with a 4 inch barrel and load it with some good factory .38 sp (+p) JHPs. this way you can shoot .357 or .38sp.

semi-auto wise for a first and/or only handgun:

Glock 17/19 or 22/23.

S&W M&P

SA XD

i personally like beretta 92s,ymmv. i also am a diehard 1911 fan, but i wouldnt get one for a first handgun. i would seriously buy the glock.

My downstairs armory includes my daily carry' date=' a Kimber Pro Carry stainless (.45 cal.) and Mossberg 500 12 ga. loaded with alternating #4 buck and 00 buck. The upstairs armory includes a Daewoo 9MM, another Mossberg 500A and a High Point .40 S&W carbine. The Kimber and the High Point are equipped with lasers and all have night lights available when necessary. The Kimber I put on before my shoes every morning. It's never more than arm's reach from me.

With respect, if you are SERIOUS about getting a firearm, you should GET serious about it and quit joking around. It's hard to be serious about giving you information when half your posts on the subject are flippant.

[img']http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo39/Cruznolfart/New%20Garden%202009/P1010047.jpg[/img]

Proper advise!!

stay away from .357 round for home defense.

Eh' date=' JP.....

Stay away from cheap-*** sh!t ammo.

:-)

Cor-Bon will produce almost NO flash whatsoever - even from a revolver.

In my Glocks, there is ZERO flash in the darkest night.

Part of the extra $$$ is for the far superior powder.

semi-auto wise for a first and/or only handgun:

Glock 17/19 or 22/23.

S&W M&P

SA XD

I don't like 9mm.

Energy is decent, but anything less than the best hollowpoint is a ricochet waiting to happen after it goes thru walls, people, etc.

Using the best ammo is more important in a 9 for that reason alone.

If you have one, fine.

If you're shopping, go .40 in a semi-auto.

Me?

I carry a Glock in 10mm (compensated, night sights) and my concealed gun is a ported S&W Airweight 642 in .38+P.

Cor-Bon jacketed hollowpoints in the lightest load I can get for both of them - all the time.

135 grains in a 10mm is SMOKIN' fast, trust me it will fragment explosively as soon as it touches anything at all.

Did lotsa water trap tests on every brand and caliber you can think of.

Cor-Bon outperforms them ALL.

Federal Hydra-Shok is my second choice.

9mm 124gr JHP will work just fine. and since most shootings occur at 3-7 feet... the "stopping power"myth is just that, a myth.

9mm is also easier to shoot for someone who has never shot a gun before, at least it is for me. a hit with a 9 is better than a miss with a .45

I ask because I have a wirst problem on my right hand... and if I get a gun that kicks too hard then I might not make it for a second shot if I ever need to (some days it doesnt hurt much but there are days I cannot even pick a pencil up).

Are you right handed? If so....hmmmmm....Bow and Arrow is out..Guess it has to be a gun. Shoulder stock short barrel shotgun with pistol grip is my advice.

I ask because I have a wirst problem on my right hand... and if I get a gun that kicks too hard then I might not make it for a second shot if I ever need to (some days it doesnt hurt much but there are days I cannot even pick a pencil up).

stop masturbating...oh wait, if youre married, get used to it.:-

A buddy of mine walked into his house to find a burgler he ended up shooting him when he was rushed by the guy. His mistake was he had his 9 and only fired off one shot to the guys chest. It didn't stop him and they wrestles with the gun and my friend was shot in the commotion. The guy didn't make it far but it didn't drop him as a 45 or something larger would have. As well he should have pulled the trigger a few times.

A buddy of mine walked into his house to find a burgler he ended up shooting him when he was rushed by the guy. His mistake was he had his 9 and only fired off one shot to the guys chest. It didn't stop him and they wrestles with the gun and my friend was shot in the commotion. The guy didn't make it far but it didn't drop him as a 45 or something larger would have. As well he should have pulled the trigger a few times.

unless you hit the heart, head or the spine, a determined/drugged up attacker will probably take more than 1 shot.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting again.

Again, I agree with The Mick, regardless of what you get, you need to get comfortable with it and learn what it's gunna do when you point it at something (someone) and squeeze the trigger (don't pull, always squeeze). My two cents regarding shotguns would be to go with a Remington. The 870 is a solid gun, and you can get a home-security editions if you want, or go find a cheap one at a pawn shop and put the pistol grip, short barrel and long mag on it. If you want even cheaper, Mossbergs aren't a bad choice, but I've found them to be cheap and rattly. I don't have anything against other shotguns (Benelli, Winchester, etc.), but the Remington is good gun for the money.

Mossbergs aren't a bad choice' date=' but I've found them to be cheap and rattly.

I don't have anything against other shotguns (Benelli, Winchester, etc.), but the Remington is good gun for the money.[/quote']

Mossberg 590 is much more durable than the 500.

Remington and Winchester are great guns, but the price can creep up.

Benelli and such can get very pricey and they're not as common.

Will a 9 work?

Sure.

Less recoil?

Sure.

Loud?

Hell yes.

If you're scared, you'll never hear it and never feel it.

Too many documented cases of a 9 not doing the job that a 40 or 357 would have easily accomplished.

Facts is stubborn things.

What works?

Get somewhere you can shoot and try 'em out yourself.

If you're ever in Arizona, get with me....

:-/

Archived