Gibson Brands Forums

Gun advice

Thundergod

Ok, despite the delays, I'm getting married and I was thinking I want to be able to protect my home...

So, as when people ask about "starter pack or the guitar of my dreams?"... what kind of weapon should I be looking into?

Is there a not very expensive one I should look at? You know, so I don't waste a lot of money in case I just find out shooting random guys isn't my thing...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own an AR15 assault rifle. It isn't very practical in many ways: if you hear someone braking in it would take you a significant amount of time to get it, and it is also heavy and cumbersome, which is not ideal for close-combat situations. I just bought it because it is really fun to shoot and you can hit targets that are pretty far away (400yds.) I would recommend something like a 9mm or 40cal Glock just because they are reasonably priced and they are simple, consistent, and well built.

Ok, flight, how much should I expect to pay for a glock 17 and (this is beyond embarassing) how do I know it's not a fake that will blow up in my hand after 2 shots?

There are a couple of well known, respected gun dealers here that I know of, I'm gonna visit them and see what they have...

Would a shotgun make a total mess (you know' date=' brains, guts and stuff all over the place) and difficult to clean up or are those movie exagerations only?[/quote']

using bird shot is the way it's lots of really small pellets that will do a lot of damage but also wont go through a few walls and kill your neighbor.

Remember the Marine's rule of thumb: Do not attend a gunfight with a pistol whose caliber doesn't start with a "4." The Springfield XD is a pretty good self-defense pistol, not a lot of muscle memory involved in making it lethal, it's reasonably compact, and it's durable. But, I have to agree with The Mick, a shotgun being racked should be enough to make a crook reconsider coming any further into your house, and if it doesn't, you're probably going to have to shoot them.

And yes, a shotgun would make a horrible mess (unless you shot them with bird shot).

Ok' date=' flight, how much should I expect to pay for a glock 17 and (this is beyond embarassing) how do I know it's not a fake that will blow up in my hand after 2 shots?

There are a couple of well known, respected gun dealers here that I know of, I'm gonna visit them and see what they have... [/quote']

Handgun is what you want...Rifles take time to turn...

A stoppage is very easy to clear on a Glock...Its lightweight and with ammunition over 100 Grain will do the job...

My employer pays about £200 for them..

Regards

Just try out a whole bunch and buy the one that feels & sounds best to you.

Oh wait' date=' that's guitars...[/quote']

That's actually a good rule of thumb for buying a weapon. If it's not comfortable to hold and handle, you're probably going to have trouble shooting it.

The only downside of a shotgun is I cannot wear it in public without people noticing...

Now I'm just messing with you guys:-"

By the way, as of june the 2nd it is against the law to carry firearms in here, one can have them at home and use them for home protection only...

I think they amended the law that way so there was less chance of someone just shooting the commie president O:)

Do NOT use a rifle for home defense if there are any people living within a mile of you.

Depends on your home;

Shotgun in 12 gauge is the ideal home defense weapon with #6 birdshot in 2.75" shells.

Bear in mind that it can be difficult to handle in tight confines inside a small house.

Bad guy can easily push the barrel away from him as you approach a corner or doorway.

Up close, it's gonna be lethal and UGLY.

If you only graze them or hit an arm or leg - they'll survive if they get medical help.

The scars will remind them daily of their mistake.

A revolver in .357 magnum is the perfect one in my opinion - with a couple caveats.

ALWAYS keep it loaded with a good, high-quality hollowpoint ammo so it will fragment quickly.

Don't want it going through your walls, the neighbors walls, etc....

Practice with cheaper copper jacketed round-nose bullets until you're comfy.

Then load it with the hot stuff and keep it stowed safely.

A revolver is brain-dead simple to operate - the original point and click interface...

:D/

That's important when you're scared.

And if you're in fear of your life and needing a gun - you WILL be scared.

Tactile ability is gone, like you're wearing oven mitts, so the gun needs to be simple.

When you're more experienced in shooting, look at a semi auto pistol in 40 cal.

45 is a great round in modern guns that will fire +P rated ammo.

Again, use only good quality hollowpoints.

I'm a huge fan of Glock, only 33 parts in the entire gun.

Springfield makes the XD line that is a fine gun as well.

Spending more money, Kimber makes some sweeeeeet stuff.

Kinda like guitars, there's many brands and variations to choose from.

Everybody has a favorite.

But what do I know, I'm just a federally licensed gun dealer...

O:)

The Mick had a point, buckshot isn't going to stop after it goes through the perp. You're in real danger of shooting through your own house and hitting a neighbors, damaging their property or seriously injuring them. Also, birdshot will probably keep him alive, then he can rot in jail with a lot of fun little scars! But, if the birdshot doesn't stop him (as we learned from former-Vice President Cheney), then you've got buckshot on deck to make him wish it had.

...handgun vs shotgun... hard to decide, flight's made a good point, a handgun is easier to maneuver... remember Im a noob when it comes to guns, I think it's been 20 years since I even held one (my uncle used to be a colector and he had all kinds of crazy stuff, once a month he would ask me to join him hunting, and sometimes he let me fire some guns while we were in the middle of nowhere... I was 11 or 12 at that time).

And, my other question, how do I know I'm buying the real thing and not a chinese POS?

BTW....By shotgun I mean the riot version.....Short barrel. A regular bird gun or like is too big for in the house.

Pistol grip with short barrel is perfect.

If you do go with a pistol......Practice practice practice!!! Accuracy with a pistol is harder than you think especially in a stressfull situation.

Archived