Gibson Brands Forums

Gun advice

Thundergod

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I got asked about winter kits.

Right now mine is just a "fall" kit. It's currently snowing and temp is 21 F. That's -6 for you Celsius folks. That means it's not really cold.

So... I have what I consider a "light" leather parka with 20 F gloves. A "cowboy rain slicker" can go over that if it's really windy. In the back is a medium fabric parka with -10 gloves; snow bib overalls; firemaking stuff. Stocking cap for inside the outfit, scarves to go over the felt hat if I'm "out in it." Ear muffs for wearing under the felt hat and scarves. Extra gloves... tire chains. Tow rope. So far I figure in snow I'm good for -10F or so for a day or two. It's not yet winter.

Before Nov. 1 I'll add a snow shovel, sleeping bag(s), heavy quilt, 3/4 filled water bottles... granola bars, etc. Mostly stuff to be comfy for a cupla three or four days in the outfit. Space blanket or two. Heavy wool socks and a spare pair of paks.

BTW, in a blizzard, don't leave the vehicle. It's your best protection even if the engine dies. Besides, if you're dumb enough not to have the kit and freeze to death, your carcass is easier to find and it's less danger to the poor folks out on sleds looking for you.

I did a story on a southwest Montana "state highway" that I figured was unsafe this time of year at 15 mph in my Jeep. The county commissioner I met halfway between "towns" 70 some miles apart was in a big 4wd pickup. He had a sled in the bed as a lifeboat. The road was blowing in behind him in spite of the sunshine, so he went home cross country.

Guys who suggest mini vans may be right if you're in town and don't need to go anyplace, but on the northern plains... nope.

Also, some folks who don't know plains blizzards are too stupid to put off travel. Some survive. Some don't. As a news reporter I'm aware of both situations. Unfortunately some of those who got through were too stupid to know how close they came to not surviving.

m

Ya know, Milod...

I think this can be summed up in this manner;

Some people just don't consider the "what if" and their lack of options at that point.

When you're out of luck and ideas at the same time....

I made a couple winter trips in the face of big snow in the seventies and eighties.

Western Kansas, eastern Colorado and Wyoming, so I wasn't going where the mountains and the BIG snows are.

The Highway Patrol and sherrifs started closing highways.

Pfffftt!

I know the back roads to get around all that....

Got hung up a couple times and got lucky.

Never again.

Actually you guys in the UK are living in the home of the culture that gave the rest of us Anglophones the right to bear arms - at least in the US.

You wouldn't think now seeing an episode of Shameless LOL' date=' but the greedy British Empire (when it was a 'superpower' of it's day) used to control much of the world. So yes it gave you (and the other anglophones as you like call them :D ) not just this tradition, but many others too. After all the, the UK, the US and Australasia have a lot of shared blood as many of you originate from here.

(On a side note and meant nicely-many Americans are probably more British than much of us now as 'we' have left for other countries and the ones that haven't were until recently immigrants) Such is the modern world that we play musical chairs.

Until circa 1920 during the general strikes in England, firearms laws there were far more "liberal" than in the US today.

I don't know in what sense you mean more liberal (?) but certainly in proportion to the size of the population still not nearly on the same scale crime wise as some countries, including the States.

Plus that was almost one hundred years ago. We used to have hanging too, but of course we have moved away from that also.

Matt

You sayin' there's a need for the jonas brothers' date=' paris hilton AND chinese fakes?[/quote']

Are you saying no one buys Jonas brothers stuff and Chinese fakes?

The market is driven buy demand. If no one wanted guns the makers would fold.

You wouldn't think now seeing an episode of Shameless LOL' date=' but the greedy British Empire (when it was a 'superpower' of it's day) used to control much of the world. So yes it gave you (and the other anglophones as you like call them :-k ) not just this tradition, but many others too. After all the, the UK, the US and Australasia have a lot of shared blood as many of you originate from here.

(On a side note and meant nicely-many Americans are probably more British than much of us now as 'we' have left for other countries and the ones that haven't were until recently immigrants) Such is the modern world that we play musical chairs.

I don't know in what sense you mean more liberal (?) but certainly in proportion to the size of the population still not nearly on the same scale crime wise as some countries, including the States.

Plus that was almost one hundred years ago. We used to have hanging too, but of course we have moved away from that also.

Matt

[/quote']

Well,

at least we know that Football is played with an oblong ball and not a round one!!:-k :-k

LOL

That is funny that isn't it?, calling something 'football' and actually using your feet to play with it:-k

Matt

ps at least the 'World Cup' (as in the 'football' world cup :-k ) involves countries around 'the world' and not just from one country :-k/ :-k/

LOL

That is funny that isn't it?' date=' calling something 'football' and actually using your feet to play with it:-k

Matt

ps at least the 'World Cup' (as in the 'football' world cup :-k ) involves countries around '[b']the world[/b]' and not just from one country :-k/ :-k/

Oh you mean Soccer..:-k

lol. I'm sure any foreign Football team would be welcome to play here.

Don't know if they would survive....

But it would interesting to watch...

Just pulling your chain....I actually watch Soccer/Football at times. It's a nice change of pace. Mostly the English Premier League. We actually get to see that here now.

Are you saying no one buys Jonas brothers stuff and Chinese fakes?

The market is driven buy demand. If no one wanted guns the makers would fold.

I'm sayin' there was no need for 'em :-k

At least I know us gibson forum guys could live without them (jonas brothers and chinese fakes... paris hilton, well, I dont like her but some of the younger members might)

I'm sayin' there was no need for 'em +:-@

At least I know us gibson forum guys could live without them (jonas brothers and chinese fakes... paris hilton' date=' well, I dont like her but some of the younger members might)[/quote']

Hanson got screwed.

Back on topic...

Ok' date=' despite the delays, I'm getting married and I was thinking I want to be able to protect my home...

So, as when people ask about "starter pack or the guitar of my dreams?"... what kind of weapon should I be looking into?

Is there a not very expensive one I should look at? You know, so I don't waste a lot of money in case I just find out shooting random guys isn't my thing...[/quote']

First, you have to declare if you want to kill an intruder, or merely try to scare them off.

(In some jurisdictions, it's arguably better for you to eliminate the need to defend yourself against a lawsuit that alleges that you maimed someone.)

Second, you have to decide how skilled you need to be in order to confidently let loose a small controlled burn/explosion within mere feet of your loved ones and/or neighbors. Get out a tape, and measure the absolute distance from outer wall to outer wall. It's probably not as far as you might guess.

Thirdly, you have to choose between accesibilty of a weapon when "needed", and accesibility of a weapon by those who have not (or cannot) answer #s 1 and 2 above - who happen to share your living space. Do a little ciphering as to the probabilities, and then proceed.

Owning a gun can cause more problems then it might solve, depending upon your own intentions, abiliies, and experience.

Once you've got these knocked, then shopping for a particular item becomes a wee bit easier. Expense is the least of considerations, at the beginning, anyway.

Matt (Sear)

Well, when I use the word "liberal" without the capital letter, I mean as in less government regulation. Oddly nowadays the word tends to mean "more government regulation" which seems just awfully strange since it ain't "liberal."

Ah, well...

As for personal defense in nations other than Anglophone (back when Anglophone lands were free nations of free citizens), laws will vary by jurisdiction.

Oh, figure this: If folks weren't afraid of violence enough to want to ban them and hope Big Brother might protect them, why should they care about everyone having firearms? The good guys don't use firearms to bully or injure others. Period. Bad guys will use anything to bully or injure others from brute strength to numbers to clubs and ... other stuff.

Outlawing firearms is like saying one can get rid of bad guitar playing by banning guitars. It's the identical logic. The problem is that by outlawing guitars, you've virtually outlawed good guitar playing. Figure that extension of logic to firearms..... <grin> Or mechanic tools.

Riverside, I'm not personally aware of any official "declaration" anywhere that one might file stating that one is willing to utilize deadly force in personal or family defense. In fact, in jurisdictions I'm familiar with, that would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

But yes, I would concur that before one considers any sort of personal defense one consider the consequences - and I'm not talking "legal" here as much as internal.

Some folks who aren't willing to go the furthest conclusion in serious social intercourse perhaps should simply try to run and/or hope bad guys aren't entirely evil. Good luck. I've covered more than a few criminal trials where I wondered about the bad guys - including a trio of teen girls I think were as truly "evil" as any males I've encountered.

But then, even in terms of weather, a lot of folks are in denial that a cold rain can kill thanks to hypothermia and fail to prepare.

Firearms are not magic wands. None can defend against anyone or anything. Period. That takes a human being. A firearm is nothing but a tool.

m

Exactly - it's an internal logic that I think should be addressed before one goes out seeking a lethal weapon.

I'd guess (heck, I know) that there are some gun owners who just hope that they get the chance to drill someone - and I'm not here to argue with that - I'm just suggesting that a body needs to think about it before exposing others to the potential for unintended outcomes.

I've seen (up close) the fatal result of gun-related mishaps. They happen. Almost as often as the "good" results from folks protecting themselves.

I'm just saying - think about it all.

During my firearms training, I was told something that has stuck with me.

No I wasn't a Cop, but I was raised by them and trained by them.

Deadly Force.....

"If you resort to deadly force, You WILL be answering to the most intelligent minds for at least the next 3 years of your life and have to re-live the incident over and over and over again". "And after that you are probably gonaa get sued by their Family even it it was justifiable because you have deprived them of the right to have that person in their lives. (Civil lawesuit)".

"Even if they lose, you will have to spend hundreds and thousands if not hundreds of thousands to defend yourself". "EVEN IF YOU WERE IN THE RIGHT".

Do I take gun ownership..Excalation of force..And Human rights into the highest of regard...

YOU BET I DO!

Actually the "gun mishaps" stats compared to a firearm adding to protection/prevention is far blown out of shape by the anti folks.

The last time I saw some actual stats, the pro-prevention/protection stats were way, way, out of proportion in favor of firearms freedoms.

The problem is that those latter stats include examples of arms being fired, which apparently doesn't count as far as the antis are concerned.

I know of one example where a guy was about to get smashed by two very big goons in his own yard and, when he hollered to his wife to get his shotgun, the difficulty evaporated. But that sorta thing never hits the newspapers.

m

Stats?

OK, but one only has to lose one child to another for it to really hit home hard.

It doesn't happen every day - and I grew up in a house with five kids and an AF Nuclear Weapons officer - with a loaded gun on nearly every flat surface in the house (remember the Cold War?)

We never blew anyone up, but then again, we had some training - from as early as I can remember.

We all need to think about it - that's why I taught my children to shoot, and is also why I personally keep everything I own under lock and key.

To each his own - even if that means you choose to stay strapped up, cocked and locked, in your own house. Good for you.

I'm just an advocate for thinking about it, that's all.

Once TG tells us what he wants to do, I'll feel a little more comfortable telling him what I think he might find useful.

The good guys don't use firearms to bully or injure others. Period. Bad guys will use anything to bully or injure others from brute strength to numbers to clubs and ... other stuff.

Outlawing firearms is like saying one can get rid of bad guitar playing by banning guitars. It's the identical logic. The problem is that by outlawing guitars' date=' you've virtually outlawed good guitar playing. Figure that extension of logic to firearms..... <grin> Or mechanic tools.

[/quote']

You are a good man and I always like your posts, even more so when I don't agree, because at least I learn more by a constructive debate! I think we are both too products of our culture I suppose like everyone, but I do appreciate the leap you make out of your own world to debate.

Look I am no saint, Milod. If guns were common place and I had one, my fear would be that I would regress to the animalistic Matt and wish to use it.

Another agree to disagree? I don't know, but guns are something that I am pleased I don't have to handle and where I live they are non existent. Yes of course there are 'incidents,' but we are talking a population of c.61 million people; and under 70 deaths involving a gun in the last year.

I hate the bad guys too, but would rather break their legs or mace them LMAO...I don't want to kill!!!!!!!

Matt

Archived