Gibson Brands Forums

My new music room

Gilliangirl

Picked up a 100% cotton thick shaggy carpet at Walmart last night for the finishing touches to the new music room. The thing weighs a ton and you should have seen me trying to haul it around the store, through the checkout, and out to the car (they ran out of carts). I was so afraid I'd end up on the internet in everyone's email as "The People Of Wal-Mart" (you've seen those, right?) Anyway, it's the perfect touch for the room. I'll post more pictures as soon as Photobucket catches up with me.

TommyK, are you still working on yours???

IMG_0963.jpg

Here's the other side of the room... the stage! lol I still have to find a way to secure those rope lights, and I need to frame my Gillian Welch poster for the back wall. And I probably should have tidied up before snapping the pictures but I was having so much fun down there last night that I didn't care if there were books lying on the floor. The floor that I installed myself!

IMG_0961.jpg

Awesome!!!!! I am jealous. We are in temporary housing right now and search for a place to buy in Washington DC. So most of my stuff is packed away. All I have is my Gibson and no stand. I so look forward to being able to have a space like that soon.

In '91 I commandeered half of the garage and made an 8' x 20' room, mostly from secondhand material from a 3 or 4 year old entry building they were tearing down at work to make room for a big addition. The floor boards are from an old house that go torn down. I didn't have to buy new material until I got to the insulation and sheetrock. I think I spent about $300 total. I punched a hole in the kitchen wall and made a set of steps going down into the room. Heated, insulated, wired.... I was farting through silk.

It was beautiful. Work bench at one end, stereo and LP storage at the other, a love seat, and guitars hanging on the wall. Fast forward 18 years, add shelves upon shelves of books, 20 or 30 more guitar cases, more power tools, and now it's the most cluttered and messy room in the house.

Here are some older shots of mine. I use the living room as nobody ever really uses it for anything other than music space.

These are a few different angles.

PICT4573.jpg

PICT4574.jpg

04-04-2009musicroom.jpg

04-19-09MusicRoom.jpg

I also don't have any photos of my newest aquisition in my music room yet. Just got it on Saturday..... Pretty sweet little custom parts-caster. It is a luthier built 3 piece Mahogany body with a 70's (big headstock) Fender maple neck with jumbo frets. It has Custom Shop Texas Specials pickups and it sounds devine. It will look very nice in my next round of music room photos... (I still have to install some String T's though)

CustomStrat2.jpg

CustomStrat3.jpg

CustomStrat4.jpg

CustomStrat6.jpg

That's very nice. Any cover charge?

Cover charge? What a great idea. I could get back all the money I spent on the chairs that I bought on Craigslist for $10.00 haha! Seriously, everything in that room (with the exception of the flooring/paint and gear of course) cost me less than $50.00. Even the fireplace/heater was only $50.00.

Lily! Isn't that just like kids to always want to get into the pictures.

My music room is at a stand still until I can move out some of my wife's stuff. Her stuff is still at a stand still until she pitches some of her stuff. She keeps saying she's gonna get to it. Suffice it to say I have room to practice, and not much else. I remain hopeful that these cold winter months will allow more indoor time to get indoor to-do's done. 'course that might be mitigated by her need to go see the new grandbaby. Oh... did I mention my eldest daughter had her first last Wednesday... Number 1 for her, number 6 for Grandma and Pa paw.

Great touches on the room Karen. That rope lighting looks very cool. My wife has surrounded both our front yard and rear deck with that lighting.

Pantyhose for a pop screen? And to think of all the pantyhose I've thrown in the garbage. Gotta hand it to you, Cunk, that's genius!

Hey, that is the only way to go for cheap and usable pop screens. I made and used quite of few of those (wooden embroidery hoops and pantyhose) , when I was recording folks.

gotta love a panty hose pop screen.

Hey' date=' that is the only way to go for cheap and usable pop screens. I made and used quite of few of those (wooden embroidery hoops and pantyhose) ' date=' when I was recording folks.[/quote'']

Like I always say, "The best dumpster diving always begins in the home."

Here's the other side of the room... the stage! lol I still have to find a way to secure those rope lights' date=' and I need to frame my Gillian Welch poster for the back wall. And I probably should have tidied up before snapping the pictures but I was having so much fun down there last night that I didn't care if there were books lying on the floor. The floor that I installed myself!

[img']http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/Gilliangirl/IMG_0961.jpg[/img]

WOW! -- That's GREAT Karen: Matching J-185s!! I love it!!

Fred (only have ONE J-185 at the moment....)

Picked up a 100% cotton thick shaggy carpet at Walmart last night for the finishing touches to the new music room. The thing weighs a ton and you should have seen me trying to haul it around the store' date=' through the checkout, and out to the car (they ran out of carts). I was so afraid I'd end up on the internet in everyone's email as "The People Of Wal-Mart" (you've seen those, right?) Anyway, it's the perfect touch for the room. I'll post more pictures as soon as Photobucket catches up with me.

TommyK, are you still working on yours???

[img']http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/Gilliangirl/IMG_0963.jpg[/img]

Karen

Why is the bottle of Mossedrool highlighted in yellow?

Archived