Gibson Brands Forums

Facial Hair

Californiaman

I had gotten tired of hair on my face in the mid 80's after having several beards and moustaches since '64 and shaved it all off and have been happily facial hairless since. I don't mind shaving, it's so easy not having to shave around a beard, and I can do it in the dark. I don't miss food on the beard.

I had a "copstache" for years in my 20s and 30s. Always smelled of bleu cheese dressing. <chortle>

Dad did a variation on the pencil in his younger days (he'd be nearly 90 were he alive) and the stache and goatee in his later years.

I'm like Grampa with full bare face nowadays. OTOH, it seems harder to shave the white facial hair than it was when it was mostly brown. I don't know if that's a function of the hair on the face or a function of my advancing age.

Hmmmmm.

m

I have such a baby face that I cannot grow a proper beard, so I shave daily. I had some pork chop sideburns going last year to play Bill Sykes in a stage production of Oliver! (okay maybe they were more like bacon strips....) but they are gone now.

Day 3 on my not-so-short-box winter beard. Should be filled in by week's end. Winter came a little early in the Great Lakes area. Normally I like to wait for mid November.

Why a beard?

1. Winter winds feel like shrapnel after dragging a razor across your face.

2. My dad always had a beard so mine is to honor him.

3. Being Greek it gives me that King Leonidas look.

The rest of the year I go clean shaven. Did the mutton chop / Elvis look for years, but not anymore.

The 'stache looked okay on me but when I was younger - mid 20s - I did the long sideburn thing and yeah, more like bacon strips than mutton chops. I gave up on 'em.

As for younger guys... heck, whey I was 21 I shaved every other day whether I needed to or not. Then suddenly it started to become mandatory. The "3-day wino growth" wasn't politically correct at the time. <grin>

m

I'm like Grampa with full bare face nowadays. OTOH' date=' it seems harder to shave the white facial hair than it was when it was mostly brown. I don't know if that's a function of the hair on the face or a function of my advancing age.

Hmmmmm.

m

[/quote']

Actually I find that with white facial hair, which I also have, it doesn't show for a couple of days so I can usually go 2 days between shaving.

The following is a shameful plug: I recommend the Gillette Sensor, it has been great for me. Easy and bloodless, much improved from the "old" days with "safety razors", misnamed for sure, and even less painful than electric razors which seem to work by pulling out the hair.

Archived