Gibson Brands Forums

Sacrifice a bit and get a good guitar?

drumrnmuzik

Hi,

What do you guys think. Right now I'm using an Epi Dot but it weighs a ton. I just tried a ES339 and it is a really nice guitar but it would set me back about €1000.

On the other hand, there's a Cort Yorktown that would cost me €225

They're different types of guitars but I'd use either of them for blues work.

The big question is, bite the bullit and get the Gibson or settle for a lower quality Cort? Has anybody really used one of these Corts?

Since I've got an SG Classic, I have a certain respect for Gibson.

Thanks a bunch!

If the 339 is too expensive for you, you don't have to settle for a Cort (I remember that brand from back in the 80's - not impressive) but find something in between. Yamaha and Ibanez both make some very nice instruments that won't break your bank account. Then again, you said you have an SG Classic so maybe stick with just that for now until you can save up for what you really want; no point in spending money on another guitar just to have one if you really don't need to buy right away and aren't getting what you want in the first place.

I typically go with the "buy what you really want and avoid buyer's remorse" theory.

I guess the only concern I'd have is whether or not you've played them. Once I decided that it was gonna be a Gibson Les Paul Standard, I played a lot of pretty average LP Stds. prior to finding "the one". The name on the guitar is kind of irrelevant if it plays and sounds like *** to you, don't ya think? Some of the greatest tones I've gotten have come from what most here (heck in some cases, ANYWHERE) would consider to be an inferior brand name. Heck... even one of the Strats I have is reknowned to have been a commercial flop, yet it was that axe that had my phone ringing with offers to come play.

All things being equal, though, and you have no chance to see if one is actually more suited to your ear, I'd go with the Gibson, based solely on track record and reputation.

Hope this helps clarify your decision... come back and post pics either way!

I guess the only concern I'd have is whether or not you've played them. Once I decided that it was gonna be a Gibson Les Paul Standard' date=' I played a lot of pretty average LP Stds. prior to finding "the one".[/quote']

+1,000

I know a lot of guys have had good luck buying guitars over the web without playing them first, but my own personal experiences have told me that I should play a guitar first and play a lot of examples of the same model before settling on one. Maybe I'm too picky but I'd rather know what I'm getting before paying for a guitar or having to ship one (or many) back.

I have an ES 339, what a great all around guitar! You can use it for Rock, Blues, Jazz, Country, just about any style you want. It is a semi hollow guitar so you can play it unplugged and hear fairly well but it's nothing like an acoustic... Go with the ES339, you will have no regrets and a guitar you can be proud of. Later on down the road when you are a smoking guitar player you will still love it...

+1' date='000

I know a lot of guys have had good luck buying guitars over the web without playing them first, but my own personal experiences have told me that I should play a guitar first and play a lot of examples of the same model before settling on one. Maybe I'm too picky but I'd rather know what I'm getting before paying for a guitar or having to ship one (or many) back.

[/quote']

Rich your not picky your just a very smart guitar shopper. I do the same so I don't bring it

home and end up selling it due to not shopping smartly. You then have added additional cost

and time to getting the right one.

CW

Archived