Gibson Brands Forums

What do you recommend? Update.

Andre S

For my school's guitar club, I am teaching a beginner electric player. There's only one of those : (.

How should I go about this?

What I was thinking is start off with the very basics of guitar ( to make sure he knows them), then a few chords and power chords. Since it is the last meeting for the term, I was going to play some of the songs I know for him, let him pick a riff from them that he likes, teach him it, and let him learn it and practice it over the christmas vacation.

What do you think?

For my school's guitar club' date=' I am teaching a beginner electric player. There's only one of those : (.

What I was thinking is start off with the very basics of guitar ( to make sure he knows them), then a few chords and power chords. Since it is the last meeting for the term, I was going to play some of the songs I know for him, let him pick a riff from them that he likes, teach him it, and let him learn it and practice it over the christmas vacation.

What do you think?[/quote']

Does he start from scratch?

P.S. Love that finish on your LP in your link. Do you have any pics of her in a guitar stand?

+1

and to play scales

yep, completely forgot about reading music.

But a big turn off from guitar for me at least at first was reading music and music theory. So while I want him to learn it, I want to keep it interesting. Since he's now starting I don't want to bore the child to death, so I figure I'd mix in the theory with a greater percent on playing.

Does he start from scratch?

P.S. Love that finish on your LP in your link. Do you have any pics of her in a guitar stand?

Thats not mine, I'm simply following what they did and doing it on my studio, I'm not done, because I have not found the tape they used as yet, everything else wears away under sandpaper.

For my school's guitar club' date=' I am teaching a beginner electric player. There's only one of those : (.

What do you think?[/quote']

If he/she is a true beginner then you need to start with the basics. They need to know all the basic parts of the guitar: Make a drawing for them to look at in-between terms.

-body

-neck

-tuning keys

-bridge

-nut

-strings

-frets

As the lessons move along it is important that both the teacher and student speak the same language.

If you have time, try to teach one simple open chord - such as D major or E major.

Do NOT teach reading music at this point because technique is more important that reading music IMHO. I mean, anyone can learn to read music while pressing a piano key, but to read, depress a string with enough pressure to make a clean sound, and then pick the note is a lot to ask for a beginner.

His first lesson and last before the end of the semester?

+1 to terminology... you will teach much easier speaking the same language. Top string, High E, up the fretboard, down the fret board.... start with how to talk guitar.

If you have any time left, teach him the very basics... press in between the frets... how to press a string without any buzz.... how to squinch his fingers onto the fretboard to make a chord. Make sure you allow time for him to "not get it", and make sure you have enough material incase you have a young Randy Rhodes.

Most of all, for any class, have fun! If you aren't having fun, he won't be either.

Good luck man!

I think I've decided what to do.

I have 50 minutes to an hour.

I'll spend ten minutes showing him the parts of the guitar etc etc

10 minutes showing him how to use the amp properly, depending on the amp, usually with the smaller 5W SS amps, you can fling the knob all the way around and it'll sound the same.

rest of the time teaching him, techniques, like bending slides, vibrato, palm mute, and examples in songs, and let him try. I'll show him how this song and if he is into it, I'll teach him and let him practice over the vacation, because it is reall good practice, to build up finger strength and it has a lot of bends and slides etc. Best of all it is mostly on the high E, B and G strings, so he should be able to reach there. ( only 11 ish)

If there are any important techniques that I left out, please put them in.

And next term when we resume, I'll show him more including chords, power chords, more techniques, reading music and songs.

It'll be fun! For me at least.

Will post an update Friday.

Do NOT teach reading music at this point because technique is more important that reading music IMHO. I mean' date=' anyone can learn to read music while pressing a piano key[/i'], but to read, depress a string with enough pressure to make a clean sound, and then pick the note is a lot to ask for a beginner.

Lordy!

What if he asks: "What does "E" stand for?" Or "What does "Major" mean"?

Oh never mind.

Technique rules.

Lordy!

What if he asks: "What does "E" stand for?" Or "What does "Major" mean"?

Oh never mind.

Technique rules.

Oh come on, I already mentioned teach the basics of guitar to include the strings and you don't have to read music to learn the names of the strings. You don't even need to teach what a major is, I said that for gibsonlespaul1319's purpose.

have you not ever taught anyone guitar? Especially someone who is 10 or 11? The truth is, most kids want to have fun and play. Music reading and theory should come later since none of that would do any good if they can't make a sound on the guitar. So yes, technique rules.

Oh come on' date=' I already mentioned teach the basics of guitar to include the strings and you don't have to read music to learn the names of the strings. You don't even need to teach what a major is, I said that for gibsonlespaul1319's purpose.

have you not ever taught anyone guitar? Especially someone who is 10 or 11? The truth is, most kids want to have fun and play. Music reading and theory should come later since none of that would do any good if they can't make a sound on the guitar. So yes, technique rules.[/quote']

Yes, I've taught quite a few kids how to play a number of instruments.

Do you suppose that guitar players have a tougher time learning music because it's so gawd-awful tough to concentrate on fretting a note?

Let me say that there are NO instruments that play themselves, there are none that get played well simply by the push of a button (even piano), and that while it is certainly possible to learn to play-by-ear, aww forget about it.

You're right.

Yes' date=' I've taught quite a few kids how to play a number of instruments.

Do you suppose that guitar players have a tougher time learning music because it's so gawd-awful tough to concentrate on fretting a note?

Let me say that there are NO instruments that play themselves, there are none that get played well simply by the push of a button (even piano), and that while it is certainly possible to learn to play-by-ear, aww forget about it.

You're right.[/quote']

Thank you. I am correct just as I stated.

I do appreciate that you do want to keep the pupil's interest[cool] . Music reading on the guitar is one of the hardest instruments after all (to read on) due to the multiple positions the same note can be played.

I play the Piano too and sight reading is much easier for me on the Piano because a middle c is literally in the middle of the Piano and that is it!! On the guitar you have to consider fingering of the other notes etc and be careful where you play that note, in case the other notes cannot be played in that position.

Having said that, I think it is important to introduce music first and then tab some weeks later. I describe tab to pupils as a 'shorthand' that has it's place, but is of course inferior to all the information on a piece of music.

The Electric guitar pupils I teach learn music reading and as a result basis music theory unaware they have LOL. I am sneeky teacher in that way.[confused]

I mix music reading with listening skills (was going to put aural training but was guarding against Demon[biggrin] ) so they can learn to play by ear too right from the word go. I do not want them to suffer the dangerous stereotype that as a guitarist you have to 'play by ear'/improvise or music read. You can do both!

The 'Play Guitar' book by Pete Kershaw is an excellent book for young kids and very easy to follow and teach through. I think you can get it on amazon.

Matt

I think the best thing you can do for a beginner is get him to learn the fretboard, correct fingering, the old up down alternate picking, Major and minor scales, Pentatonic major and minor, all first position open chords, bar chords in the A form and E form. That should keep him busy...

I think the best thing you can do for a beginner is get him to learn the fretboard' date=' correct fingering, the old up down alternate picking, Major and minor scales, Pentatonic major and minor, all first position open chords, bar chords in the A form and E form. That should keep him busy...[/quote']

Yea, but if I remember correctly, when i first started guitar lessons, the first thing my teacher did, was to show me how to read music.

It was booooooring!

I agree it is important, but I don't know if it makes sense to start, this is the last session for the year. I want to give him something that he is interested in to practice, since I won't be around to ensure he is practincing reading music.

I think if I give him to read music on the first day, he will stop practicing and lose interest.

I've used a couple of basic books to teach and all the ones I've seen start with open chords, scales and simple melodies on one string for some technique.

Reading music will come especially if you have a book with tab and music. Learning to read music is not reason why kids are interested in the guitar and you have to keep the interest.

I always remember being told this from a music teacher years ago re scales and chords:

Major = Happy

Minor = Sad

And I'd advise anyone learning any instrument to watch/listen to "Do a dear, a female dear" etc from The Sound Of Music. Scales are fundemantal to everything else.

I think that balance is what you should maintain. We are talking about one 50-minute lesson here.

3 open chords (E, A, D for example) and strumming in quarter beats should be included, the basics of how to pick correctly in alternate picking, some fingering exercises to start stretching those fingers (that he must work during holiday season) and even perhaps the a few notes in the neck that he must make then sound properly until lesson no.2.

And for the ''fun'' part, show him a very easy song with 5th chords. I would recommend ''Cocaine'' for example, or something similar (to me it was the easiest, at least!). You can also give hime something that combines fun and getting him somewhere, like a song based on arpeggiated chords. That will get him to know the chords and also develop his right hand technique.

I agree that keeping it ''correct'' is important, but ''fun'' is equally important as well. Yes, you can find a balance between those...

IMHO, you should also stress to him that playing the guitar is something that you actually learn by practising A LOT at home. The teacher only points the way and offers INSPIRATION that in turn will make you work harder. Even if he does not quite grasps these truths the first time...

You have 50 minutes ???

I figure that if you want him to continue playing guitar he's got to get inspired.

- guitar layout

- tuning the guitar

- how to make the e form, bar cord

- 1, 4, 5 blues progression with the e form

He can go crazy with that and have fun. Then after you can start slowly with technice and music theory or he's gonna quit.

Well...

First thing I always did was to teach how to tune the darned thing - which was somewhat more difficult with no electronic aids and just a pitch pipe.

That included the saying, "Every American Daughter Gets Babies Easily" Or some variant. <grin> Few have forgotten the names of the strings after that.

Then I'd have a very simple "folkie" type of songbook with two and three-chord root songs they could take home.

My figuring was, and would be now, that even an "I quit" after a lesson or two still gave the student the tools to go further one way or another.

m

Guys, guys, GUYS! This is our progeny here. Get serious!

Ok, so first I'd start him off with Jack Daniel's and brunettes, one girl at a time. Dye/bleach his hair. After he gets his sea legs, sticky-icky marijuana and more brunettes (3+ at a time now). Then he's ready for cocaine and the blondes. The strippers are good incentives to perform. Heroin and hookers are for the more advanced guitar kids (eg Hank Williams, Dave Navarro). You don't want to ruin the kid do you?

Best.

Guys' date=' guys, GUYS! This is our progeny here. Get serious!

Ok, so first I'd start him off with Jack Daniel's and brunettes, one girl at a time. Dye/bleach his hair. After he gets his sea legs, sticky-icky marijuana and more brunettes (3+ at a time now). Then he's ready for cocaine and the blondes. The strippers are good incentives to perform. Heroin and hookers are for the more advanced guitar kids (eg Hank Williams, Dave Navarro). You don't want to ruin the kid do you?

Best.[/quote']

I'm going back to my teacher and ask for a refund. He gave me nothing of that! [biggrin]

Although Brundaddy's advise has some merit (???), teach him the pieces and parts of HIS guitar (incase he has a trem), teach him how to tune, no more than 3 open chords and how to strum. Picking, vibrato, alternate picking, palm-muting ect. are all more advanced techniques he can learn after the holidays. Explain and demonstrate a very simple 3 chord strum song. Make sure to start him on a metronome. With those things in his tool box, he can have lots of practice time over the holiday break. Good luck to the both of you.

Archived