Gibson Brands Forums

Does guitar "quality" matter with a ton of distortion?

rocketman

So I was playing my Les Paul and Sonex today. I decided to really crank up the distortion level and noticed that I couldn't really tell the difference in sound between the two guitars. At lower levels of distortion, like a slightly overdriven tube mode, the Les Paul easily beats out the Sonex. But at higher levels it didn't seem to matter.

So what are your thoughts on this?

So I was playing my Les Paul and Sonex today. I decided to really crank up the distortion level and noticed that I couldn't really tell the difference in sound between the two guitars. At lower levels of distortion' date=' like a slightly overdriven tube mode, the Les Paul easily beats out the Sonex. But at higher levels it didn't seem to matter.

So what are your thoughts on this?[/quote']

I agree with you... as a half time metal player Ive noticed the more the gain the less noticeable those little differences in tone from guitar and guitar are.

saturate the tone with distortion etc and it is impossible to tell. This is why it makes me smile when I hear people who play all out metal argue the merits of one guitar over another when they are going to pump the sound full of excessive gain anyway...now playability is another matter altogether.

Matt

Quality in craftmanship and materials is actually irrelevant, I will have to agree. The quality of the pickups however is another story. They do matter.

I read once that the sound of the guitar (in itself I mean - not amp inclusive)is:

60%: Pickups

30%: Body tonewood

10%: Neck tonewood

That comment came from a guy building guitars for a quality manufacturer in US. Perhaps, as gain / distortion increases, the above percentages change slightly and pickups become more and more important in the sound...

That's the reason whe there are a lot of metalheads with cheap guitars and good pickups. But you don't see a lot of guys playing the blues with el-cheapos...

In my experience, when you go into really high gain your tone gets more and more normalised (in lack of a better word) to what the amp is doing. And with that I mean it gets harder to tell the difference between two not too different guitars. However, I still think you hear clear differences in a decent guitar compared to a cheap one in the tones attack and how they ring out. All the gain really compresses the signal a lot, so any faults in how the string vibrates will actually be amplified as well, some of them will be covered in the huge amounts of overtones but not all of it. Often cheap guitars will make the guitar sound as if it was out of tune. Even single notes can flutter and sound uneven and flobby (that's probably not a word but it makes sense to me!), while a good guitar keeps sounding even, tight and focused further into high gain territory, which of course has to do with the source signal being cleaner to begin with.

I'm with Hector and SHO for the most part. However, try plugging a guitar with humbuckers into a high gain setup then try it with a guitar with Fender style (not P90) single coils and see what the effect is. I switch between a Les Paul and a Strat with my band and, when using high gain settings, I still need to use a separate boost for each guitar otherwise the LP will sound muddy and the Strat will sound screechy. Sure, I could use just one and have it set for high gain stuff and use the other for the more moderate sounds but that's not what I do.

I'm with Hector and SHO for the most part. However' date=' try plugging a guitar with humbuckers into a high gain setup then try it with a guitar with Fender style (not P90) single coils and see what the effect is. I switch between a Les Paul and a Strat with my band and, when using high gain settings, I still need to use a separate boost for each guitar otherwise the LP will sound muddy and the Strat will sound screechy. Sure, I could use just one and have it set for high gain stuff and use the other for the more moderate sounds but that's not what I do.[/quote']

Yeah, that's why I said it gets hard to tell the difference between two not too different guitars. For example, my Ibanez JPM and my RG, has two different DiMarzio humbuckers but the output level is about the same, body wood is different too, but the difference in their sound, which is pretty drastci in clean and moderate gain settings, starts to even out the higher the gain gets. A strat and a LP is pretty different to me :-s

Quality in craftmanship and materials is actually irrelevant' date=' I will have to agree. The quality of the pickups however is another story. They do matter.

[/quote']

This is exactly what I was thinking. Saved me some typing, thanks man [cool]

I prefer a non master volume amp' date=' cranked, with a tad of clean boost (Tube Screamer) (barely).

[/quote']

I am calling shenanigans! You use your OD pedal as a clean volume boost? It still adds dirt, right?

Archived