Gibson Brands Forums

I need your honest opinion

Basshole

This one's a little hard to answer IMO, as a (former) semi-pro bass player I have to say it depends on the song. Some players will just follow the drummer with the correct notes, some players might like to do something a little more complicated, and some might want to have a competition with the lead guitar... but, the important thing is to not get inthe way of the guitar as it's the guitar's part of the song to shine and be noticed.

I think a good example of a bass player doing his own thing while maintaining harmony and actually adding to the song during the solo is this one:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cm1n_lenny-kravitz-are-you-gonna-go-my-w_music

I think a good example of a bass player doing his own thing while maintaining harmony and actually adding to the song during the solo is this one:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cm1n_lenny-kravitz-are-you-gonna-go-my-w_music

Well said Thunder. I love the sound of a good powerful rolling bass, even during a guitar solo. It shouldn't over shadow, but complement the solo.

Depends on the music. If you are a power trio like Cream or crazy like early 70s Sabbath, start walking up and down the neck. If you are a straight up rock band like Van Halen where your role is to play 8th notes on the root, stay on that path. Everything else should fall somewhere in between.

I like the bass to carry the song and the guitars play off the bass. The guitars have the option to change the direction of the song and do their own thing while the bass is still carrying the essence of the song. This is the way I write. The backbone of my songs are actually written on bass. Tool is a band that comes to mind that kind of explains what I'm trying to say.

This is one of those questions that would take a Chapter in a Book to answer. "It Depends" seems too small of a phrase but it's the only one that fits.

Drummers hitting cymbals during my leads used to bug me till I learned to sit back and hear it with my leads. Of course our Drummer is better than the ones I played with back then.

As long as it's all coming together and the Bass Player's not draggin' or rushin' the drummer, it's all OK with me.

Depends, if it all syncs correctly. I'm a drummer so I'm real picky about timing. If everybody starts off on their own solo it can turn into pandemonium. Most listeners can't handle too much of that, and a lot of muscians get lost.

Just give a few sync beats every measure or phrase or so, depends on how loose you want it. I like things to get really wierd for a few bars just to stitch it back up. Kinda freaks people out. Especially if you have some "normal" jam going on.

Archived