Gibson Brands Forums

I think two drummers in a band is pointless.

dem00n

In jazz' date=' and I speak only for jazz because I have no knowledge of any sort of metal, drums can be seen as a melodic instrument. It would be no different than the band having two trumpets or two guitars.

Keep in mind, this is coming from a trained percussionist...[/quote']

You do have a point...but i dont see it for any other genres. I asked one of my friends who is a drummer and he did say it can be used in jazz but for anything else is pointless even fast metal drumming.

If you are the kind of guitar player who thinks a drummer is just a fancy metronome,

you might think more than one would be superfluous.

If you are a musician, and you consider drummers and percussionists as musicians too,

then it takes however many it takes to make the music you all want to make.

Regardless of genre or milieu, the interplay of rhythms CAN be as interesting as notes and the spaces between.

And never, ever dismiss or ignore the spaces between the notes.

They are as important as the notes themselves.

If you are the kind of guitar player who thinks a drummer is just a fancy metronome' date='

you [i']might[/i] think more than one would be superfluous.

If you are a musician, and you consider drummers and percussionists as musicians too,

then it takes however many it takes to make the music you all want to make.

My best friend growing up and through college was a terrific drummer and musician. We got jobs, moved apart, etc... and I learned to my horror that most drummers are not musicians, or even fancy metronomes. *Most* people who call themselves drummers are FAULTY metronomes with little to no musicianship. T

he problem with multi-drummer bands is that they're *greedy*! (only half-serious, here) If you got a musical drummer, than share the other one with some other poor band! Geeze... ;-)

If its for jazz or death metal i just dont see it the point of it! :-s :)

You have no idea what you are talking about. First, drums in jazz are not the meter, the bass is. Drums are mostly color. Second, there are hundreds of bands rocking with two drummers and doing it with authority. You should check out Detroit's maximum R&B rockers the Dirtbombs. Two drummers, bass, guitar, and a fuzzed out baritone guitar. Then you'll understand the force and power two drummers bring.

Well...

Speaking as an old guy <grin> yeah, I think a lot has to do with the drummers and the overall sound a combo is looking for, regardless of style of music.

The thing is, whatever style you're playing, the various musicians must work together for a "sound." That may include a dialog between two drummers just as it may include a dialog among guitar players, guitar and keyboard, guitar and drum, guitar and bass, bass and drummer, etc. forever.

If you're doing "exact covers" of a band with one drummer - for example the Beatles - naaah. Likely don't need the extra drummer, but you probably don't need 3 guitar players either.

Actually I really enjoy teasing drummer friends: "What do you call somebody who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket and always hangs out with musicians? A drummer."

That's NOT true in my experience. Many I've known have been talented vocalists or in playing other instruments. One seemed largely tone deaf but was an incredible rhythm talent.

Back in my own high school olden days, though, I remember having to put down the trumpet to play drums for 5/4 time 'cuz the drummer just didn't "get" the time signature. I'm no drummer, but I could kinda use the brushes to get a Brubeck sorta sound - but the piano player really commanded the rhythm and I was mostly adding just "sound."

That experience gave me a lotta respect for drummers 'stedda the other way around. I learned that no way could I handle a whole drum set in 99.999 percent of music I'd ever care to be involved with, nor provide quality rhythm.

As for bass - I have a habit of speeding so I'm not a good bass player regardless what fingers may be able to do.

m

Two Drummers can really make a band Rock, or Swing, or Thrash....whatever. Or a Drummer and Percussionist, which is the same thing if you ask me.

I'd like to get a band to open up tho the idea of Two Bass Players. The more players the better so long as everyone understands the concept of Different Parts. Two drummers playing the same parts would be redundant, two drummers complimenting each other sounds *****en.

Same with two Guitar Players. Nothing irks me more than playing with another guitarist that wants to double every guitar part and play in Lock Step. That works for Judas Priest, but I never felt you needed two guitarists to cover Priest.

Covering the Allman Brothers, on the other hand, is quite a challenge for one guitarist or one Drummer (as our Drummer is finding out).

I find it interesting that musicians are more than willing to accept Three or Four guitar players, but Balk at two Bass Players or Drummers.

Two Drummers can really make a band Rock' date=' or Swing, or Thrash....whatever. Or a Drummer and Percussionist, which is the same thing if you ask me.

I'd like to get a band to open up tho the idea of Two Bass Players. The more players the better so long as everyone understands the concept of Different Parts. Two drummers playing the same parts would be redundant, two drummers complimenting each other sounds *****en.

Same with two Guitar Players. Nothing irks me more than playing with another guitarist that wants to double every guitar part and play in Lock Step. That works for Judas Priest, but I never felt you needed two guitarists to cover Priest.

Covering the Allman Brothers, on the other hand, is quite a challenge for one guitarist or one Drummer (as our Drummer is finding out).

I find it interesting that musicians are more than willing to accept Three or Four guitar players, but Balk at two Bass Players or Drummers.[/quote']

I always loved the double soloing. Right after one is done soloing a other one comes out.

Archived