Gibson Brands Forums

Are Gibsons selling in your neck of the woods?

Tim Plains

Just wondering about your local Gibson dealer. I go into the same music store week after week and see the same Gibson guitars week after week. A couple of them have been there for a really long time, like two years!! Are the music stores in your areas the same or are their Gibbies moving?

Just wondering about your local Gibson dealer. I go into the same music store week after week and see the same Gibson guitars week after week. A couple of them have been there for a really long time' date=' like two years!! Are the music stores in your areas the same or are their Gibbies moving?[/quote']

Gibbies arent even there....ever

Don't know about the HOG in Rochester but the local GC isn't selling really anything. The same LPs are there from several months ago. There is a 339 at GC that's been sitting there even longer than that. I'll go in this weekend to see if Black Friday did anything...

No....in fact, I've been "wishing/drooling" over the same ES-345, for about 2 years!

(Something, called "Life," keeps getting in the way, of my purchasing that wonderful guitar...but, "Someday!")

The LP's and SG's in that particular shop, have been there, "forever," as well. They do seem to move better,

than the ES line, but that's not saying much, at this point in time. And, they have a good stock,

of Gibson's available! They do a good business, in Mexican Fenders, and Epiphones. But, the

"high dollar" (American) Fenders, and Gibson's don't seem to sell, nearly as quickly.

CB

Just wondering about your local Gibson dealer. I go into the same music store week after week and see the same Gibson guitars week after week. A couple of them have been there for a really long time' date=' like two years!! Are the music stores in your areas the same or are their Gibbies moving?[/quote']

The music store in my town don't have any Gibsons. The one in the town next to me does, but only one or two LP studios and a SG faded. They've been there for a loooooong time.

Take into account, that in the last 2-3 years, most Gibson guitars have increased in price, way beyond

any "inflation" factor. Sometimes, even to double the price, just 2 short years ago. A black standard

335, used to go for about 15-1600, tops. Now, it's over 2400. $2250, for a "Satin" ES-335?? That used

to be less than $1,500! (I use MF prices, as most of us, are familiar with them.) My Gibson "Lucille" has

more than doubled, in selling price, since I bought it, 6 years ago. Granted, it was underpriced, compared

to 335's at the time. (It was $3-400 LESS, than a 335, at the time I purchased mine...so that was a "No Brainer,"

for me!) I LOVE Gibson's, but my last 2 "Bucket List" guitars, will just have to wait, and/or...maybe I'll never be

able to (really) afford them, anyway? Who knows?!

CB

I have my eye a lefty LP trad in cherry burst at a local store. Every 3 months they drop the price by $200.00. I expect to have enough money by May/June next year. If they keep dropping the price then maybe it will get below $2K. Any extra money goes to the Peavy Delta Blues JR.

Don't know about the HOG in Rochester but the local GC isn't selling really anything. The same LPs are there from several months ago. There is a 339 at GC that's been sitting there even longer than that. I'll go in this weekend to see if Black Friday did anything...

Henrietta? They always seem to have the same stuff, but whenever they have something I'm thinking about, it's gone a week later... maybe I just can't find it, since they seem to re-arrange every other week anyway. Is that 1974 Les Paul Custom still there? It was in pretty good condition, for $2500, but someone broke the jack while it was in the store. They didn't fix it or lower the price.

The music store in my town don't have any Gibsons. The one in the town next to me does' date=' but only one or two LP studios and a SG faded. They've been there for a loooooong time.[/quote']

The music stores in my country dont have any Gibsons!!

Henrietta? They always seem to have the same stuff' date=' but whenever they have something I'm thinking about, it's gone a week later... maybe I just can't find it, since they seem to re-arrange every other week anyway. Is that 1974 Les Paul Custom still there? It was in pretty good condition, for $2500, but someone broke the jack while it was in the store. They didn't fix it or lower the price.[/quote']

Yep that's where I bought most of my guitars. I'm actually taking a trip there tomorrow. I'll look for the '74 Custom...

We are seeing the same ones Timbo....Lets face it, the average person wont buy a Gibson.

Not that he/she doesnt like them or want one...They are pricey.

In this economy to drop 2K & up on a guitar takes some doing for alot of people.

But I agree, im tired of seeing the same Gibsons hanging at ol'L&M.

One things's for sure, prices keep dropping on gibbies and that's a for me 'the' indication that economic recession has just begun. The same goes for pharma industry, that I know particularly well...that was one of the last industries that would be hit by economic crisis, ...and drama has started here as well since a month or two!

Here in Atlanta I have the opportunity to visit many GC's mostly. The best is close to downtown on I-85 IMO. Other than moving them around I see no real movement "outside the room". Inside the "room" I see the same high dollar vintage machines. I am not sure about the prices as it has been awhile since I paid attention to them. GC customer service/wannabee shredders usually run me out in less than 45 minutes. The same ES's are on the wall with the exception of a 60's 335. It has been gone some time now. It was in the $3500 range I believe.

Here in Atlanta I have the opportunity to visit many GC's mostly. The best is close to downtown on I-85 IMO. Other than moving them around I see no real movement "outside the room". Inside the "room" I see the same high dollar vintage machines. I am not sure about the prices as it has been awhile since I paid attention to them. GC customer service/wannabee shredders usually run me out in less than 45 minutes. The same ES's are on the wall with the exception of a 60's 335. It has been gone some time now. It was in the $3500 range I believe.

Mos of the GC worker i meant wana be blues guitarists...i think they are diffrent in every state.

To answer the question from personal experience; yes a lot of people I know/teach etc are buying Gibson guitars from further a field, but the problem in London, is the reduction of places that are selling new Gibsons. Two of London's biggest shops that sold vintage and new Gibson's respectively, went under as casualties of the internet/the financial crisis.

In London's famous 'Tin Pan Alley', famous as much for it's rock n' roll history as much as its c18 guitar shops (all in one street!) new Gibson and Epiphones are much harder to find.

It used to be every shop had at least a small selection of Epis and Gibsons.

Matt

My favorite dealer in Phoenix has well over 100 Gibsons in the store, more than 60 of them are Les Pauls.

Some used, a few vintage.

His reputation is helping him move some nice higher-end stuff.

As bad as things are for him, that's about all that's moving.

It's the cheap stuff that's dead.

The Long and McQuade I go to in my area has a hard time keeping any around. Yes there are a few that have been there for a while. Studio's seem to move really fast as do Traditional. There was 5 Traditional's there at the beginning of the month ,and now there is one.

I bought my kids SG at the Tacoma GC in late October. The guitar was made in March of '09. They said they typically keep one of each type of SG in stock and this one has been there since it was shipped to them (My kid had played it several times). Not sure how long it takes Gibson to ship to GC after the manufacture date, but this one sat for nearly 5 months.

The good news is that I told them I didn't want a guitar that had been "fingered" by everyone in Tacoma and asked them to order me a new one. Since they obviously wanted a sale on that day, they gave it to me for 10% off after it was already marked down $50.00, sticker was $1149.00. I walked out the door with it for about $1030.00...

It can be a good thing (for an individual consumer) when things sit on the shelf, especially when buying from a big box store.

BTW... The guitar was flawless and the case had one small ding on the bottom.

My dealer has a few new guitars that are over 5 years old.

You'd never know without checking the serial number, his stock is flawless and pristine.

Still new for all intents and purposes, nothing changes.

Stores like Guitar Center will never do that (assuming a guitar could survive that long) because they blow 'em out with discounts, trade 'em to other stores for merchandise, or send 'em back to the manufacturer because they are "defective" after being beat to death by kiddies with filthy hands....

Archived