Gibson Brands Forums

First Ted Nugent, now Joe Perry....

NeoConMan

Got another one of my Les Pauls signed tonite at the Joe Perry show.

The guy is a real class act.

Great talent, great show, great band, great music.

Great people working for him too.

Met Mark (bus driver for nearly 10 years) and the stage coordinator who's name escapes me but she's the tall, hot blonde gal and you cannot miss her. Even spoke briefly with their guy handling merchandise sales, and it turns out he was with Joe when he was signing autographs.

Everybody told me that Joe will NOT sign guitars, but I decided to try anyhow.

At the meet & greet, I noticed another guy holding a black SG.

An SG?

Never seen Joe play an SG.

Jeez, whatever....

I looked closer, it still had the plastic on the pickguard and was brand new.

Closer yet, turns out it's an Epiphone - with a bolt on neck!!!!

GET THE FxCK OUTTA HERE!!!

That's exactly why so many players won't sign sh!t - they know it's going straight to Ebay.

These *** holes are ruining it for everybody.

Buy the cheapest piece of sh!t they can find and then list it at auction for a small fortune.....

Then there's the guys with the old vinyl albums that they've probably had for 30 years.

T-shirts, hats, posters from back in the day.

That stuff is cool, they will probably keep those items and treasure them.

Then I notice several people with pickguards for stuff like Strats, and some I couldn't identify.

More Ebay crap.

I was hoping Joe didn't get pissed off and stop signing.

To top everything, a guy walks up with a tiny cheap-*** acoustic that looked like a toy and wants it signed.

Well, Joe did it.

I couldn't believe it.

I waited patiently with my Les Paul propped up on the barricade in plain view under the lights.

Chatted briefly while he signed the Les Paul, showed him a trick I use on all my cases I adopted from his 2005 solo album/dvd that has footage filmed inside his "Boneyard" home studio.

Assured him this Les Paul is my baby - it ain't going on Ebay!

I'll post pics later.

If you can catch his show, do it!!!

www.joeperry.com/index.cfm

That's a great story! I can see why he would be hesitant to sign a guitar. Here's a Squire Strat signed by Tyler and Perry selling on Ebay for $2,300. But if some fool wants to buy it then so be it. Still if I were a celebrity I'd be upset about it too. Looking forward to the pictures...

I caught The Joe Perry Project some time around 1980-81 at the New Jersey State Fair. I remember that they opened with "Toys In The Attic" and Joe seemed to have a thousand guitars including that red Bich seen in the pictures of "Live Bootleg" and what I think was a Kramer with an aluminum neck and split headstock. They rocked.

Oh Man!

The show was GREAT!!!

Old School Rock n Roll doesn't get any better than that!

Did he sign the same LP as the nugent?

Nope.

That seems like it would be insulting' date=' ya know?

"Yeah, I want you to sign it over here so you don't obscure this other signature..."

Will you play this LP' date=' or is it destined for a life behind glass?[/quote']

Glass?

Nah....

I'll play it like I always have.

I take pretty good care of my stuff anyway, so it's not like it will be placed in a vault or anything.

I mean, it's already inside the NeoCon Compound - doesn't get much more secure than that, eh?

:-)

Sorry... I would never get a nice Gibson signed.

It's just not my thing. It's kindof like "reliced" finishes to me.

If you're happy with it then that's all that matters though right?

Yep, I'm happy.

Not sure I see the correlation with the whole 'relic' thing though.

As far as a nice Gibson, you wouldn't be one of those guys with a $99 bolt-neck SG from Guitar Center, eh?

:-)

I mean, what sort of pride would there be in something like that?

I don't care if it's signed by Jesus, the Pope and John Wayne - it's still a piece of sh!t.

I know, it's really tough to apply logic to something like this.

Honestly, as much as I love these two Les Pauls they will never be worth a ton of money.

It's not like they were rendered worthless by the sigs, nor are they likely to ever fetch six figures at auction.

I'll just play 'em like I always have.

There aren't that many people I would want to sign anything for me anyway, so this is a rarity.

I don't run into Jimmy Page very often and, like Angus, he lives on another continent.

Les Paul is now dead, along with Stevie Ray and Hendrix.

I'm really not that big a fan of Clapton, Beck, Townsend, Santana - though I would certainly take the sig!

Doubt I'll ever see them though, when they tour it's always huge venues with $$$$$ tickets.

Not worth it to me.

There are a few other big names I would like to get, but I bet I could count them all on my fingers.

What about you guys?

If you had a nice LP worth a couple grand that you never intended to sell, who would you like to get a signature from? Not just one guitar - what about others?

Who would you guys like to get one of your guitars autographed by if you could?

Keith Richards would be cool on my Tele.

Alex Lifeson on my PRS.

Don Felder would be cool - gotta get another Les Paul though.

Same for Mick Ralphs.

Paul Stanley/Ace Frehley.

Pat Travers.

Pretty much the seventies Guitar Gods for me.

Who did I miss?

Yeah, I'd go there for sure!

Gotta get another damned Les Paul.

This is gonna get pricey....

Slash too.

That would be a cool one.

Seriously, he put the Les Paul back on the map in 1987.

Like him or not, he's a historic figure of at least minor proportions - even if some of his music didn't really show it.

Slash too.

That would be a cool one.

Seriously' date=' he put the Les Paul back on the map in 1987.

[/quote']

You're right about that - it's just an irony that he didn't play a Gibson Les Paul on Appetite for Destruction.

It doesn't matter though.

===

Who would you guys like to get one of your guitars autographed by if you could?

No criticism intended' date=' but I've never been an autograph seeker. I've jammed with a few folks who would have signed something for me had I asked, I suppose. Keb' Mo' even asked if I wanted him to sign my John Lee Hooker commemorative Sheraton II after he had played it. I declined, even bagged him about it jokingly, explaining that JLH's sig was already inside it. But I can't imagine anyone whose signature I'd want on any of my instruments, from the lowest priced entry-level things to the one-off custom built. Those folks aren't any different than you or me; what the heck would I want with their sig marring the looks of something I enjoy looking upon? [confused

Again, this is NOT to be construed as a negative commentary on autograph seeking or those who like that sort of thing.

Yeah, like I said it's tough to apply logic to this kinda thing.

I've gotten a few autographs over the years, mainly because that's what the crowd was doing that was surrounding the musician of the moment. Never really placed alot of value in the signature but it was nice to shake hands and look them in the eye in each case, and the conversations were usually somewhat unexpected.

Spoke at length with Mark Kendall of Great White when I met the band several years ago.

Great guy.

Same with the guys in Jackyl, Storyville, Molly Hatchet, Foreigner, Foghat, and many others.

Several Country acts too, believe it or not.

The way I figure, I never intended to sell those guitars anyway, now they're also a trophy of sorts and that beats the hell out of a signed cd sleeve or personalized guitar picks - I have a bunch of those too.

Some people "Ooh" and "Ah"... while others just say "yeah, that's cool" and then move on.

Speaking briefly to both Perry and Nugent was cool.

With Perry it was vintage Fender and Marshall amps, with Nuge it was politics.

Kindred spirits either way, to say I envy them in that regard would be an understatement.

Meeting and chatting with any musician (even amateurs like I play with) is nice.

To meet the guys who made the music I've loved for decades is especially so.

Archived