Gibson Brands Forums

I just never play my Gibsons anymore

dacookster

What Dave said.

Whatever the case, I go through phases were I favor one guitar over the others. At home, I've been playing my LP a lot but I haven't brought it to band rehearsal in a couple of months because my Strat covers everything I need to do there (and an LP is a heavy mofo to wear around your neck for three hours).

Over the last 35 years I've been through many phases of Fender - Gibson - Fender - Gibson. It seems though over the last 15 years or so has been all Gibson, and I only pull out the Strat a couple of times a year. Thinking about it, it may have as much to do with the type of music I'm playing at that particular phase of my alledged "career".

It started off with rock & roll on the Strat, then to the Strat/Firebird double attack. From there it went to r&r on the Firebird and an LP, and then the LP only. I then started playing blues on the Strat, and then switched over to an ES-335 for a complimentary tone to the Strat the other guitar player in my band was playing at the time. Then I started playing Memphis R&B and Motown, so back to the Strat. From there it was back to the blues on an ES-345. Now it's big band jazz on an L-5, jazz sextet and acoustic blues on an L-7, and the trusty old 345 for the electric blues.

Although I DO think certain guitars are better suited for specific types of music, I'm not one that thinks you HAVE to have a certain guitar to play certain music. I've just been fortunate enough to be able to afford what I thought were the best tools for the job.

At this point I could, and should, sell off a bunch of stuff. I'd probably never miss it.

ive recently converted to telecasterism...

my les paul has been in its case ever since...i felt so bad i ordered a sticker that im gonna throw on it to show it that i still think about it!

hahaha

these have been occupying my time mostly

(and i dont feel terrible cause i just bought a Gibson LG-2 3/4 acoustic and that is eating up all of my hours recently)

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

and my new gibby...

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

but i do wanna handwire my les paul and throw some bumble bees in it...maybe when i do that later this year itll increase my playing time...

IMG_0346.jpg

I tried the 1/2 step thing on my Stratocaster but it just does not work for me.

I also tuned to 432 pitch to see if that was ny different but nope.

Maybe is the fully floating tremolo setup I have.

I am about to replace the bridge of my Strat so I will try again then. I will be psoting pics of the tremolo assembly swap as well.

Yeah' date=' but it's white with a maple neck that's tinted just right and I have a serious jones for one of those going on. That or all black with the same neck.[/quote']

Can't see the pic because I am at work but I know what you mean.

My 2005 American Startocatser is black with white pickguard and maple neck and I GAS for a white version but if I had the white I'd be wanting a black version.

Hmmmmm.....

I never, ever, owned a Fender or copy thereof except for amps and basses. Never cared for the necks. Had a lot of others with similar pickups/pickup configurations, but necks I liked better. I wish I still had the old Hagstrom solidbody 12, for example... A Rick or two... a Gretsch...

OTOH, I think if I could have a more Gibbie-style neck on a tele, I might get convinced a bit 'cuz I reeeeally like what I've seen/heard Roy Buchanan do. A buddy I played country with back in the '70s could make his jazzmaster sound more like a pedal steel than a pedal steel, too. The Strat never did a thing for me. I'd kinda like to try a Jag if it had a wide enough nut. I dunno.

Hmmmmm. Were I to win some lottery, I guess GAS would be a huge problem. But I guess most of my GAS objects of desire tend to be just about everything except Fenders. Hmmmmm.

I do think it is beneficial to play different styles of guitar largely because the different fingerboards and the way one grasps them will change your head a bit when it comes to the fingerboard itself and technique in general.

m

...(and i dont feel terrible cause i just bought a Gibson LG-2 3/4 acoustic and that is eating up all of my hours recently)

and my new gibby...

photo2.jpg

Woah! I want one. NOW!

That is freaking beautiful. Bet it sounds even better. I love the sound of a 3/4. I'm gonna start looking around...

You lucky(feel free to delete Mr. Mod)bastard.

Archived