Gibson Brands Forums

Page vs. Buchanan

jinx2

You won't get a fair and balanced answer from me. Roy Buchanan could do things with a guitar that no human ever thought possible. I got my first Telecaster because of him. Nobody has ever matched what he could do with just his fingers. Jimmy Page, he was that curly haired guy in Led Zeppelin, right?

Page was/is so much more than just a player. He's a great song writer

Some people would argue that point since Jimmy "borrowed" a lot from others, but that's another thread for discussion. I'm a huge Page fan, but I have my doubts about his originality.

never heard of the second guy....so there's my answer.

In 1971 PBS did a documentary on him called "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist". So you're not alone.

The Rolling Stones tried to get him to join them and he turned them down.

He was found dead in his jail cell in August 1988. He "hung himself". Nobody offered any explanation about the numerous fresh bruises on his head though. Funny how suicide works, isn't it?

Somewhere here I've got a test pressing of one of his albums, with a blank label and typed song list taped to it.

In 1971 PBS did a documentary on him called "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist". So you're not alone.

The Rolling Stones tried to get him to join them and he turned them down.

He was found dead in his jail cell in August 1988. He "hung himself". Nobody offered any explanation about the numerous fresh bruises on his head though. Funny how suicide works' date=' isn't it?

Somewhere here I've got a test pressing of one of his albums, with a blank label and typed song list taped to it.

[/quote']

I used to work with a girl, who was married to Roy's bass player. Anyway, according to her, the band believed the local redneck cops beat him to death, but no one could do anything to prove it :-k

I would pick Roy over Page as a blues player, Page is no doubt a great rock player and as pointed out by others a great song writer.

Roy started touring with Johnny Otis Rhythm & Blues Revue when he was 15 in 1954, and recorded on Chess Records with Dale Hawkins in 58'. Johnny Otis and Hawkins had a following in England, as a result Roy was better known in Britain in the early 60's then he was here. Jeff Beck was influenced by Roy, even dedicated his 1977 cover of Steve Wonder's "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" to Roy. I wouldn't be surprised if Roy was a early influence on Page, as Page was influenced by Beck.

This is a clip from the PBS special on Roy;

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

He was found dead in his jail cell in August 1988. He "hung himself". Nobody offered any explanation about the numerous fresh bruises on his head though.

I'd no idea the poor bugger was dead! That news came as a bit of a shock!

I didn't know much of his stuff and the only record I have of him was bought way back in 1980-81 ('My Babe') after I'd read an interview he gave with a UK journalist whilst on tour. I suspect he was much better known 'Stateside than in Europe.

As regards the original question it depends to what extent you consider L-Z to be a blues band! Buchannan probably explored the blues more within the usual understanding of it's definition whereas Page took the music to a place hitherto unknown. Whether or not it could still be called the blues is a moot point.

I'd say that most rock/blues guitarists around the world would cite Page as an inspirational influence whilst Buchannan's appeal would be more felt by blues/country-blues purists who loved his approach; both to the instrument and the music.

Neither Page nor Buchanan is a slouch when it comes to guitar but having said that Roy had an inate feeling for the blues that he conveyed through his hands with astounding virtuosity.His soulful bends,uncanny ability to create steel guitar and wah effects through his dexterous manipulation of the volume and tone controls were without equal.Only Danny Gatten could give Roy a run for his money in his time.I saw a double bill concert circa 1976 in our local university with Pat Metheny and Roy,that was an outstanding display of talent from two different genres.Roy's rendition of Hey Joe brought goosebumps and a tremendous standing ovation.I suggest that those who never heard him or of him go out and buy some of his discs and prepare to be blown away.It's a real travesty that his"suicide"wasn't properly investigated,it may very well be that some got away with causing his death.

I thought I'd posted before but it seems to have disappeared...

Buchanan.

He could do things with that Tele - and I don't care for Fender sound or necks otherwise - that nobody else could imagine doing. Jazz? That Misty replayed above is incredible.

Roy didn't play guitar, he made his guitar sing with a combination of flatpick, fingerpicking with the flatpick, bending, a knowledge of the fingerboard that was uncanny, and just about any other technique you can think of that's specific to electric guitar playing.

As I say, I'm not a tele fan - except for Roy's stuff that somehow is Roy rather than Tele.

Country, jazz, blues, rock...

Roy.

BTW... I just got to lookin' at one of his vids on Youtube... His statement "There's no such thing as number one ... but I love you for thinkin' about it..."

m

Archived