Gibson Brands Forums

Soo anyone play video games here?

dem00n

Of course... have for 20+ years now hehe.

I don't play computer games anymore tho.. I got tired of upgrading my damn video card every year. I bought a PS3 a few years back for the same price as a high end video card. It serves my purposes.

I likewise play every now and then. I used to play more often, but then books began taking up more of my attention.

Then I was sitting around on one boring night in September, and decided to pull out my copy of "Disraeli Gears" for another listen.

I ended up finding something else to occupy my time. The rest is history.

Well...

I beat up my computer mouses a bit with a couple one-person card games when I'm between writing projects. It's kinda a reset for the brain simply because doing "games" on the computer or otherwise, is pretty much blind escapism as opposed to learning per se.

As I said, it can function as a brain reset button if it doesn't become "reality."

Frankly I think it's okay to do, though, as much as I think reading a lot of fiction is okay to do.

The problem comes if one considers one bit of fiction (video game) as reflecting reality as opposed to reflecting the authors' perspective for a given story or game.

I still think that for any extended period, playing music is a better option.

Or going out and being around people.

m

Well...

I beat up my computer mouses a bit with a couple one-person card games when I'm between writing projects. It's kinda a reset for the brain simply because doing "games" on the computer or otherwise' date=' is pretty much blind escapism as opposed to learning per se.

As I said, it can function as a brain reset button if it doesn't become "reality."

Frankly I think it's okay to do, though, as much as I think reading a lot of fiction is okay to do.

The problem comes if one considers one bit of fiction (video game) as reflecting reality as opposed to reflecting the authors' perspective for a given story or game.

I still think that for any extended period, playing music is a better option.

Or going out and being around people.

m

[/quote']

Brilliance, man. You're right on point with this one, I've got to say.

The games are alright as escapism, but when you find people confusing fiction with reality, it becomes a bit of a problem, for sure. Again, fictional novels can do the same thing; films can do the same thing--nothing wrong with video games on their own merits. They merely have the same problems that other forms of blind escapism provide.

And yeah, I agree that playing music and socializing are better options.

Keep up the posts, man. Your insights are invaluable.

I beat up my computer mouses a bit with a couple one-person card games ...

Now, that's my kind of video game! I keep solitaire on my phone for meetings and other potentially dull moments. I got hooked on spider solitaire for a while too - it's pretty tough. My wife loves the mahjong and soduku on her phone. I wonder if there is a crossword puzzle app of the iphone. I love crossword puzzles. Shooting people in a video world, not so much -- but crossword puzzles rock.

Yes I play video games. Mostly stuff like Call of duty and Medal of honor. Ps3 is a lot of fun but can cut in to much valuable guitar time [confused]

CoD and GTA for sure! and RE5 !

I only play on weekends, so it only cuts into weekend guitar time, a little

I have a Gameboy advance that I play maybe 5 - 10 hours a year. about 98% of my "me time" goes into playing music. I cannot justify buying a new game system and $50-$60 per game. I know it would just collect dust. Guitar is my obsession. I don't have the discipline to play videos games. Or maybe I'm too disciplined. Either way, I just can't do it. Not that I'm old school (I'm 28). It always shocks all my friends until they see my guitar collection.

I used to play mmorpgs a lot but sort of fell out of it - Asheron's Call' date=' Anarchy Online, Star Wars: Galaxies, City of Heroes, Guild Wars, World of Warcaft and probably a few others I've forgotten.[/quote']

I would have never played an mmorpg if it weren't for my boyfriend.

To better understand him I decided to start playing a game with him called Secret of the Solstice.

We both started at about the same time but I made sure to play on my own and earn my own lvls without any help.

Soon I understood his lingo and drive, even as it applied to other games. When he began working out of town the mmo was what kept us connected. Also, I became one of the highest level female players (highest of my class), so I can say I didn't half a$$ed the research.

I'd say I'm better for having dedicated myself to that game, but now I'd MUCH rather write or read.

Archived