Gibson Brands Forums

Stuff you never understood

Silenced Fred

I have played telecasters, and I love the feel and everything, I just don't like how it sounds for how I play. I know they are great guitars, but I just never understood the thin sound they have.

PRS' to me, just don't have that 'feel', the feel where you are in awe of how something like that could be made by humans. They sound great and have some of the best QC ever, but I don't care for them that much.

Please don't turn this into a flamewar, but what are some things you never "got"?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric Clapton.

Not that he is a bad guitarist. He is great, great ''feel'' of the blues and all. But I think he's overrated. His best work was done half a century ago and he still gets to be in the first 5 spots of every poll...? And Richie blackmore & tony Iommy barely make it in the first 20...? doesn't make sense. [cool]

Oh, and how George Bush Junior got re-elected. no sense at all... [sneaky][biggrin]

I have played telecasters' date=' and I love the feel and everything, I just don't like how it sounds for how I play. I know they are great guitars, but I just never understood the thin sound they have[/quote']

I think they are great all around guitars, unless your into metal. Note that Eddie Clark played one in Motorhead. To get the most out of them, I think you have to be on an upper level as far as being a player is concerned.

I've posted this video a thousand times, but it still blows me away. Only a handfull of guitarists could come close to puling this off.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Eric Clapton.

Not that he is a bad guitarist. He is great' date=' great ''feel'' of the blues and all. But I think he's overrated. His best work was done half a century ago and he still gets to be in the first 5 spots of every poll...? And Richie blackmore & tony Iommy barely make it in the first 20...? doesn't make sense. [cool

Oh, and how George Bush Junior got re-elected. no sense at all... [sneaky][biggrin]

I'm pretty sure "Junior" never got elected much less reelected. There have been two "Father/son" presidents....and one "grandfather/grandson" presidents...but never a "Junior"...so far....

Oh... and I think Claption is FABULOUS!

Flame war ahead (if I post this:) Led Zeppelin

Never got what the great thing about them was, specially JP.

I also never got all the hype around strats, I have 2 and they get played 1 or 2 times a year (between the 2 of them!). I used to think it was because of the upper horn (I mostly play and rehearse sitting down and that horn is a pain in the gut!) but my superstrats have it too and they get played even more than my gibbies [sneaky] My telecasters get played everyday too, so it's not the single coil sound what I don't like.

Come to think of it, maybe it's the cheap knobs, 3 control layouot and 5 position switch (I almost never use the middle position on my 2 pickup guitars, what am I supposed to do with 3 midle positions!?)

Yeah' date=' whatever. George W. Bush, is that correct? Nope, I didn't google it... Point stands however. [/quote']

What? You mean he is not junior but there is some maggot beneath him that is actually junior? (and would be his son)

Yuck... as if 2 of them weren't enough[angry]

6-string Rickenbacker necks.

The Gibson S.G. I really should like them; they're really good guitars and are very pretty to my eyes but I just don't. The thing that annoys me more is that I don't know why I don't like them.

Fender Jaguars and Jazzmasters.

Yeah' date=' whatever. George W. Bush, is that correct? Nope, I didn't google it... Point stands however. [/quote']

Oh...well then I'd be happy to clear it up..... "W" got reelected by getting more votes than his opponent, (John Kerry). The same people who voted for our current president, voted for him over Kerry.

As an aside, our founders wanted to prevent tyranny, so the president isn't elected by a direct vote of the people... they're elected by the electoral college, which basically gives each state the same number of votes as it has representatives & senators in congress, (making the fewest number of electoral college votes would be 3...since even the least inhabited state has 2 senators and one congress critter).

Come to think of it' date=' maybe it's the cheap knobs, 3 control layouot and 5 position switch (I almost never use the middle position on my 2 pickup guitars, what am I supposed to do with 3 midle positions!?)[/quote']

Nailed it! LOL! There comes the necessity of a genius: Richie Blackmore in particular. He removed the middle pickup from his Strat. His signature model from Fender-Mex comes with no middle pickup as well. See? Ingenuity!

I think they are great all around guitars' date=' unless your into metal. Note that Eddie Clark played one in Motorhead. To get the most out of them, I think you have to be on an upper level as far as being a player is concerned. [/quote']

I think what you said is true, in the right hands, they sound balls out amazing

For me, it doesn't particularly fit me and what I do. Probably as I get older and wiser <grin>, I will like them more, but for now, I want two humbuckers in a Gibson!

TGod- I agree, just something about the layout on the pickguard of Strats seems "cheap", especially the knobs. I like the sound, but I prefer P90s if I am playing single coils.

Other things to add to the lists:

Guys who are jerks to girls

Signature Guitars

Infomercials

How someone can die and instantly become well liked (touchy subject)

I don't get why the Who are so big, right place right time I suppose.

I have made an effort to expand my music horizons all the way back to 1920's blues and the Who are an enigma to me, I own a greatest hits album and like the songs but don't get how they hold the place they do in Rock history.

Fred I do not get Teles either, I find them ugly and blocky but that's alright they sound good on other player hands and for certain genres.

I don't get why the Who are so big' date=' right place right time I suppose.

I have made an effort to expand my music horizons all the way back to 1920's blues and the Who are an enigma to me, I own a greatest hits album and like the songs but don't get how they hold the place they do in Rock history.

[/quote']

+10!

Fred I do not get Teles either, I find them ugly and blocky but that's alright they sound good on other player hands and for certain genres.[/quote']

I agree

i agree with the ones who said you never "got/understand" tele's and strats, becaue i really don't see any appeal in those guitars,

though fender basses i guess are an exeption, but maby thats because nowhere around where i live carries ANY gibson basses

and i just dont get these robots and dark fires and DUSK TIGERS!?!?!? which is kind of the same argument as maybe:

solid state to valve amps?

because solid state is another thing i don't get

if they are the "new deal" than why do they all try to replicate their tubed ancestors

there are alot of things i don't get, but what can ya do?

Fred I do not get Teles either, I find them ugly and blocky but that's alright they sound good on other player hands and for certain genres.[/quote']

+1 to both (or would that be plus 2....screw math!)

I do like The Who however, just not one of my favorite bands

Another thing is I find it interesting the bands from the 60s and 70s that carried over and still get played today. You hear some of the classics, and nobody has ever heard of them, unless they are really into music, but you have bands like the Eagles still around and at large!

Also, Relic'd guitars (Why the hell would I pay someone to beat up my guitar when I can do it for free? Same things with "worn" jeans. I almost bought a couple of pairs from WalMart and shot them with Birdshot to beat em up and charge 75 bucks a pair :- )

I must be getting old....

I don't get why the Who are so big' date=' right place right time I suppose.[/quote']

The Who had THE best bass player in Rock, (still today no one can carry his lunch), and the best drummer in Rock. They had a guitar player, (only one), who was/is competent on the instrument, but was also the intellect behind their music... Daltry was the showboat... sang okay....but for three instruments, they made a LOT of sound...and 66% of their musicians could arguably be said to be the best in Rock... not bad, methinx. Plus, remember.... this was 40 years ago... you have to put them in their time element.

Plus' date=' remember.... this was 40 years ago... you have to put them in their time element.[/quote']

This is very important. We had the likes of "Ferry across the Mersey", "Summer Holiday" and so on and then along comes "My Generation"...

Punk 15 years before Punk.

Archived