Gibson Brands Forums

Why do you play guitar?

ShredAstaire

I knew had to quit drinking.

Playing an instrument is a family tradition, but it was the need to hang on to myself that made my nylon my best friend during the sobering period. Now I don't even think about drinking, its not a problem at all. I kept this new addiction.

My father played country and western when I was a kid, my grandmother was a music teach, taught violin, piano and cello, my older brother started playing R&B when I was 8 and I was sold! Then I discovered Merle Travis and Chet Atkins. I have been a finger picker ever since.

But the guitar, regardless of the type of music being played on it, will always attract me. I love listening to classical guitar and have ever since I can remember first hearing it. Jazz, Spanish, Country and Western, R&B and Pop, if it's done well and doesn't involve a vocalist screaming it attracts me.

Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour.

+1.

Irish Tour '74 was one of the first albums I ever bought.

I still play several tracks from it regularly. Too much Alcohol; As the Crow flies; Cradle Rock etc etc etc....

A sadly missed genius.

In alpha order because I cannot remember chronological...

Cream, Hendrix, KISS, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, ZZ Top

Later there were many other motivating sounds, but these were the ones that made me think...

I just HAVE to learn how to make these sounds because they are so bad ***!

To this day the thrill for me is plugging in and getting that growl.

At first i was influenced by Metallica,Guns and Roses,Def Leppard and i was trying to imitate these guitarists when my cousin gave me guitar lessons and one of he best advice he gave me is to try to not imitate these guys styles but to develop my own style by trying to compose songs and jaming.But to this day i have a great admiration for these guys who plays in covers bands and learn all the songs of a band.

i play cuz it's fun. it seemed like all the kids i knew played, so i picked it up. i tried the classic rock thing but it wasn't my cup of tea. i mean i like listening to the stuff. just ain't interested in playing it. then i started listening to and watching a lot of 70s and 80s punk and i was like 'hey, this looks like fun and something i can do'....

Archived