Gibson Brands Forums

Want a new amp

nikko18

So I really love my fender blues jr. and it's great for a lot of stuff I play. But not for some of my harder stuff. I really would like another small sized amp like it but one that gets more of a Marshally british tone. I also really like how oranges sound.

Are there any amps like this out there that aren't super expensive? Like $500 or less?

Tons, that's the problem. I love my Vox AC15 but if you want a Marshall sound in a small amp, try a Marshall Class 5. Just 5 watts but it's loud. You can always go to a website like GC.com and browse tube amps by price just to get a rough idea of what's in your price range.

If you are looking for a heavier sound, those cranked should work pretty well for you and as Are Nine said, they get loud for 5 watts.

Since you would probably have it turned up it should work out well. Good luck and let us know what you pick. Personally, I want to save up for an Orange Dual Terror. IMO for 800 bucks, it sounds great, allows you to go from 7 to 15 to 30 watts and also has two channels. I am stoked for when I can get one. If you have a cabinet, I would recommend saving up for one of those, if you like it.

+1 on the Class 5.

You also might want to check out the Fender Champ XD series - I have both! Settings 8 & 9 will get you surprising close to 60s & 80s Marshall with some thoughtful twiddling with knobs. Yeah, they're hybrid amps but they both push 6V6 tubes. VibroChamp is 5 watts and less than $200. :-k

Some suggestions to look at:

Orange Tiny Terror

VOX AC 15

VOX Night Train (only as a head)

Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th anniversary (perhaps a statesman?)

Blackheart (Little Giant or Handsome Devil)

Jet City Amplification 112 RC

Marshall Haze

Some are a little over the mentioned price range but perhaps nevertheless worth looking into...

Vox Night Train is awesome sounding for $500 or less. Some good deals on Ebay for closer to $400. I really liked it.

My son just got a good deal on an Orange Dual Terror for just under $700. More than you stated but well worth the extra in my opinion.

The Jet City sounded pretty good for the money but just didn't come near the crunch as the Night Train.

So I really love my fender blues jr. and it's great for a lot of stuff I play. But not for some of my harder stuff. I really would like another small sized amp like it but one that gets more of a Marshally british tone. I also really like how oranges sound.

Are there any amps like this out there that aren't super expensive? Like $500 or less?

Drive a little' date=' save a lot!

Fender Blues Junior Jr. All Tube Amp - $250 (Medford/Ashland)

I'm with Bluemoon! "The thing about the Blues Junior is that it has a lot of clean headroom...which means it takes pedals really well."

That was my first thought too. If you can sample the pedals at a G shop with the same type amp you have at home, try it. You could wind up with the sound you want for less $$$.

Vox Night Train is awesome sounding for $500 or less. Some good deals on Ebay for closer to $400. I really liked it.

My son just got a good deal on an Orange Dual Terror for just under $700. More than you stated but well worth the extra in my opinion.

The Jet City sounded pretty good for the money but just didn't come near the crunch as the Night Train.

How does he like it? I want one bad.... also what cab is he playing through?

get a great distortion pedal bro. I no you told me before you prefer overdrive but a good distortion through your amp will sound great.

zvex distortion

box of rock - is a pedal that can get u a great marshall tone. also has a clean boost( i no you would like that!)

LOL! He shouldn't! I should pay closer attention to what I read. :-

Hahaha This made me laugh a lot :-k

I think I will go check out some pedals and see what I think. If I can get the tone I want with a pedal I will probably go that way. If I can't I think I will probably go for one of those Marshall class 5s. I do really like the nighttrain but it isn't as much what I want as the Marshall, especially because I would have to buy a cab too. I also LOVE the orange tiny terror and any other tube amp Orange has made. So I am assuming the Duel terror is great! But it's a bit to expensive for me and once again I would have to buy a cab.

I am going for a Marshall over driven tone and that is EXACTYLY what the Class 5 does.

Archived