Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall Haze Amp

Dom_JEM

Lowdown was using the Class 5 for the clips. Unfortunately there is only one

person on this forum that has one and most of the time his information has

little to be desired. I stand corrected and it's not Cunkhead.

Check out the Blackstar H5 they're engineers from Marshall

that started up a new company.

CW

That's the Marshall Class 5 - not the Haze.

so he was [angry]...i think this haze is a fantastic little stack too' date=' i'm using a marshall valvestate and line 6 amps at the moment and im defo gonna buy a all valve amp and i think this is the one for me...[scared

i have the 40W combo. it doesn't get alot of love around here because its not well suited to the metal crowd but i i love it. i am not a metal player but my live stuff gets a little heavy at times - like neil young's crazyhorse. the amp's voicing reminds me of the jcm900 i had in the 90's. two channels with boost on each. very versatile and portable. its a real backsaver and really loud if you need it. the effects are meh. the reverb aint bad and neither is the echo. i had a power tube burn out recently (its only 5 months old) but that been the only issue so far. i've had many marshalls and they've all been in the shop for warranty issues. i am not a big pedal guy - i just use a fulltone fatboost3 and a boss EQ pedal for some volume/boost/tone variations. i have never had so many compliments from other players on my live tone. i use an epi 56gt mostly w/p-90s. very rich live sound. i just saw one yesterday at GC in southfield, mi for 699. great deal. i paid 845cdn. comes with a footswitch. no cover.

on the negative side, the tubes are impossible to get to. 11 screws on the back and you have to reach in blindly behind the power assembly. i used a dentist style mirror the first time. now, i've popped out the heat vent on top and i use that to see through. i've removed 7 of the screws and let the essential ones in. its a labour but one of love. also the switch is relay style and there is a pause when you change channels. its irratating. maybe there is a cheap mod you can do to remedy this. does anyone know? maybe that's a topic for another thread. hope this helps.

Lowdown was using the Class 5 for the clips. Unfortunately there is only one

person on this forum that has one and most of the time is information has

little to be desired. Check out the Blackstar H5 they're engineers from Marshall

that started up a new company.

CW

:-k Wha?! :^o

[biggrin] :-

Update: Fuggeddaboutit! All's cool. I took absolutely no offense at all. Just couldn't understand per the sic.

My jaw's made of concrete not glass[thumbup] [biggrin]

it would be the first valve amp i buy' date=' im a bit of a newbie when it comes to valves. im after a decent amp for blues mostly... the haze seemed like the most resonable [/quote']

Its great for blues.

Go on clean and hit the boost button.

Or go to overdrive and put the gain around 2.

Actually there is a recall on all the Haze's right now. Not sure what for but I'd make sure you got a good one [blink] May I recommend the Marshall class five? It's maybe something more geared to your musical style. They are pretty loud little amp and cheaper than the haze.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to clarify - which amp are you passing judgement on?

Still nothing.[biggrin]

Haven't tried the Haze - so can't reply.

But have the C5 - if you couldn't get a decent ( notice I came down a step for you) sound from it' date='then this may reflect your playing style maybe? Jazz,country...

Of course it's a bedroom/recording amp. But 5 watts is still going to be loud enough for most for practicing and even yes,gigging. Have no idea of your background,but I've yet to find any capable guitarist who cannot get a working/passable sound from any amp. Tube or not.

You don't like the Haze or C5 (if that was indeed what you were referring to) which is fine,but to describe this amp as being lifeless,dull,"flat"-well I have yet to come across a flat amp. There's no such thing and is just a cop-out. What you are attempting to describe is a playing style (and I'm not having a dig at you) For eg.,amps do NOT have dynamics,unless we're talking about those didgitized things now.[biggrin] You create dynamics. Akin to saying a recording sounds "warm"? All a play on words.

When I asked you to elaborate on "flat" - I meant for you to tell me what the amp didn't do for you and why.

What were you playing through it? How loud? etc.

Too bad your poor choice of description said more for you and less of the amp. You should give it another shot. Believe me.

Anyhow...

Archived