Gibson Brands Forums

Are posts like trolling? As in fishing-not living under a bridge

pete

I posted in the acoustic forum and as of this writing there have been 18 views with 0 responses. This whole forum thing is new to me so I have some general questions.

Should I have cheesy tag lines to attract attention? I know sex sells but... Should I just be patient? After my post hits the bottom what is the likelihood of anyone actually coming across it? Is it considered rude to re-post and "butt to the front of the line" so to speak? I don't want to come across as the kid jumping up and down screaming. If there is no response should I persist or just consider it a dead topic?

Thanks for any input you can offer on posting etiquette.

Hi, Pete, welcome to the forums! rockon.gif

Your analogy of posts and trolling is a sound one, it's a lot like that. Every forum has its own rhythm and personalities, and it takes awhile for some to get into it. But persevere! Everyone here loves guitars and music. You'll get the help you need. Nothing wrong with bumping your post if it gets lonesome, either.

Most of your questions in this topic will be answered with a bit of just "watch and wait". It is a good method for learning Forum ettiquette.

Perhaps you've no responses in the acoustic forum because none of the 18 (19 now) folks who viewed your topic own one? I sure don't....

If you want to fish, most successful folks use bait. Try pictures. The folks here LOVE pics....

and welcome to the Forum / gratz your new guitar!

Or you can mention Buckethead or Slash that usually gets a few posts

:-

In more serious response you didn't really ask any question other than what's the info on this. I answered you on the acoustic page but to get responses be specific ask a question or show a picture some of us have dozens of guitars and can give you a lot of info if you need specific details ask.

What di I think of the EC-10 from 97 isn't gonna get much response.

..This whole forum thing is new to me so I have some general questions...

I like fishing a lot. I once caught a 13+ pound bass.

Are you posting about a guitar that you paid a lot for because it was shiny? If so, you should get a good number of hits.

If you bought one that is not-so-shiny, then, well, you prolly won't have a lot of love.

The folks here who have paid lots for the shiny ones will hate on you.

I like fishing a lot. I once caught a 13+ pound bass.

Are you posting about a guitar that you paid a lot for because it was shiny? If so' date=' you should get a good number of hits.

If you bought one that is not-so-shiny, then, well, you prolly won't have a lot of love.

The folks here who have paid lots for the shiny ones will hate on you.

[/quote']

You caught a 13+ lb. bass, now that is fishing... but I will leave it alone for now - no comment. :-k

I posted in the acoustic forum and as of this writing there have been 18 views with 0 responses. This whole forum thing is new to me so I have some general questions.

Should I have cheesy tag lines to attract attention? I know sex sells but... Should I just be patient? After my post hits the bottom what is the likelihood of anyone actually coming across it? Is it considered rude to re-post and "butt to the front of the line" so to speak? I don't want to come across as the kid jumping up and down screaming. If there is no response should I persist or just consider it a dead topic?

Thanks for any input you can offer on posting etiquette.

WELCOME to the GIBSON forum!

this place is "clicky." filled with regulars who troll craigslist and ebay for freebies.

you may already know that your post in this forum is closed off to non-members (and will not show up if googled either.) thus, you have a small audience and that audience wants something cheap and quick.

i realize how negative this comment is but you need more than a welcome and advice to bump once in awhile.

this place is "clicky." filled with regulars who troll craigslist and ebay for freebies.

you may already know that your post in this forum is closed off to non-members (and will not show up if googled either.) thus' date=' you have a small audience and that audience wants something cheap and quick.

i realize how negative this comment is but you need more than a welcome and advice to bump once in awhile.

[/quote']

Ida - Welcome.

I know you aren't saying we are "clicky" trolls that want something cheap and quick are you? (My attempt at humor, don't be offended. I know that was your first post.)

What you do have in this forum is a lot of knowledgeable folks that are very aware of their surroundings including craigslist and ebay. They (most of the time) have everyone's best interest truly in their hearts - unless you mispseelll a wrod here and there... right Demoon? Even then, it's just a lot of fun. No one here intends to be a know it all - tell all, but it is a great place to get information. If you think this forum has a small audience - maybe not. Have you looked at the "song association" Post number of views? Not everyone that visits comments or even registers. I myself enjoyed these forums for a year or more as I get the Gibson news letters in email as well. It was reading the forums that encouraged me to join - the information, the humor, and the management of the forum.

Most of us here would not buy at guitar off ebay, especially a Gibson. We know better. A lot of dealers do buy off ebay if you click on the bid information.

Any ways, don't get the wrong idea regarding the forums. Maybe I misread your comments, but just wanted to Welcome you and give you my take on the forum.

you may already know that your post in this forum is closed off to non-members (and will not show up if googled either.) thus' date=' you have a small audience and that audience wants something cheap and quick.

[/quote']

Couldn't help but note you're a "newb". How on earth did you figure out what a bunch of clicky trolls we are in one day? And why are you pm-ing me with sexual references? Are you sick or just desparate? In any case, I'm not interested.

Bump.

(That's the way ya do it.)

:D/

As stated above, pics are the best bait if you're trolling for conversation.

Doesn't even have to be your guitar.

Some here are slow to catch on, I actually never owned a guitar in my life....

(Okay, that last part was a lie.)

Wouldn't hurt to put a small signature together with some pertinent info about yourself or your interests.

That way it appears with everything you post, and people learn that as your "face" along with your avatar pic.

Soon, you'll be as popular here as what's-his-name.....

[lol] [lol] #-o[lol]

If you really wanna have some fun, go to The Lounge and search the menu for the oldest posts in the archive.

Find one you like, post something in it to bump it up to the top of the list.

It's a little mischief that doesn't usually offend too badly, and you might do somebody a legitimate service....

On the other hand, I haven't owned an acoustic in over four years now so I never go to that area of the forum.

If you ask me, I say you're welcome in The Lounge or Les Paul and SG areas anytime.

Welcome aboard!

Click - irritating short sharp noise like a computer key being pressed.

Clique - small exclusive circle of friends who keep outsiders outside.

Think you'll find a lot of open minded and knowledgeable people here,

no clicking and no cliques either (well..... not too many, anyway)

Click - irritating short sharp noise like a computer key being pressed.

Clique - small exclusive circle of friends who keep outsiders outside.

Think you'll find a lot of open minded and knowledgeable people here' date='

no clicking and no cliques either (well..... not too many, anyway)

What the click are you trying to say?

Strange though it may seem, I am responding to several posts in this thread.

They used the word click instead of the word clique.

I am also suggesting to the OP that there are neither clicks NOR cliques here,

but that there ARE folk who know stuff and may be both willing and able to help.

And I am saying it in English. Bwahahah, Just sayin'.....

Strange though it may seem' date=' I am responding to several posts in this thread.

They used the word click instead of the word clique.

I am also suggesting to the OP that there are neither clicks NOR cliques here,

but that there ARE folk who know stuff and may be both willing and able to help.

And I am saying it in English. Bwahahah, Just sayin'.....

I was joking.

(click)

The current bass (Fender MIA Jazz):

7JoQP.jpg

My brother has one of those and it's a really great sounding bass. He filed down some of the upper frets - something he seems to do with all his basses - to get rid of some of the "clicking" though. He's a kickass bass player and has been playing for decades so he knows his gear so, if he's playing one, it's a good instrument.

Strange though it may seem' date=' I am responding to several posts in this thread.

They used the word click instead of the word clique.[/quote']

And being the well heeled, upright chap you are, you took it upon yourself to show them the error of their ways. Commendable, to say the least. [cool] I wonder if some of the posters didn't misuse the incorrect spelling deliberately...you know, as a bit of a slam? (OK, I don't really wonder that at all, I'm being a smart a$$) [cool]

Sometimes newbies are impatient. Sad too, as most everyone has something to contribute to a forum.... in this computer age, we want things to happen immediately.

I think what irks me are the people who come in here with their BS stories about their grandfather dying and they found an old Gibson in the attic. Yeah, I'm sure it happens, but not every three days. Just be honest, they bought it cheap and they want to flip it and they want to know how much it's worth. Bada-bing, we'll help you out, just don't try to bs us with some tear jerker. I may have fallen off the turnip truck but not last night.

LOL! Do you remember the guy from a couple weeks back who'd bought a "real" Gibson from an old friend who's been getting him stuff on the cheap for many years...but now he's not sure he got the real deal? (not that his old friend might be a skosh dishonest, mind you) These guys wanna go to school on the guys in here who really know their Lesters, so they can produce undetectable counterfeits. Or, as you say, they want to place a value on something that was, in this particular case (in my opinion) stolen goods. What a world! :-k

Archived