Gibson Brands Forums

I'm giving up.

Shnate McDuanus

It's been a little over a year and I can't play like Rory Gallagher yet.

I'm giving up on guitar.

It's just a shame that I wasted so much on equipment and lessons, and had such a poor outcome from it.

Oh well. I guess there's no use in having regrets.

I'm done, though. I'm sad that it has to end this way.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm giving up on guitar.

It's just a shame that I wasted so much on equipment and lessons' date=' and had such a poor outcome from it.

I'm done, though. I'm sad that it has to end this way.[/quote']

What......the....Fxck?!?!?!!?

Are you serious [cool]

Don't be stupid

Don't give up, you get out what you put in. Never mind trying to sound like Rory Gallagher, or anyone else, you will sound like YOU. If you find you are getting really fed up try a different guitar or amplifier. If you find the right guitar that feels and sounds great it will inspire you.

I'm giving up on guitar.

It's just a shame that I wasted so much on equipment and lessons' date=' and had such a poor outcome from it.

Let's do a little math - Gallagher started playing when he was around 9 and he died when he was 47, seems like you're about 37 years short of the goal.

I'm giving up on guitar.

Well, if you're no more committed to it, than playing for all of one year,

and still not sounding like "Rory Gallagher," then you're probably wise to quit.

I understand the frustration, I'll never be EC or Hendrix, either...but,

SO WHAT?! None of us will, you know. We might (if lucky, and we work hard enough) approximate

that sound, etc. But, it's really best to sound like you! I'd suggest you walk away,

for awhile, but not sell your equipment, just yet. You may have a change of heart,

and more inspiration, for more "perspiration" (AKA Practice, practice, practice), and things

may start to happen, more to your liking. But...it's really up to you, in all accounts.

Good luck, XDemonknight...whatever you decide.

CB

Don't want to tell you what to do, Xdemon, but I think it is important to set realistic goals. I started when I was 15 and I decided I wanted to be good when I was 25. That's 10 years. By 25 I was playing gigs every weekend and doing some recording. Had I wanted to be great in one year, I woulda quit like you are threatening to do. A musical instrument is a lifelong pursuit that requires commitment and dedication. You have to give a lot to get something back. I say stick with it, but if you are looking for instant gratification you need to look somewhere besides music.

Archived