Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa's Answer To Orange Dual Terror?

jrsdws

Think they could put more knobs and switches on that? Maybe there is space in the back for another dozen or so?

I don't get it. Feels like you need an electronics degree to operate a Mesa amp. It's a 15 watt amp. Volume and tone should be the only knobs you need.

Think they could put more knobs and switches on that? Maybe there is space in the back for another dozen or so?

I don't get it. Feels like you need an electronics degree to operate a Mesa amp. It's a 15 watt amp. Volume and tone should be the only knobs you need.

Mesa has always been guilty of too many knobs to tweak.

True but the knobs do work.

The controls are actually easy on this model, 5/15/25 watt selector for each channel, footswitch toggle and the other 2 are actually voicings you might tweak more often.

The amp looks cool but I still prefer the 5:25 express small head.

True but the knobs do work.

The controls are actually easy on this model' date=' 5/15/25 watt selector for each channel, footswitch toggle and the other 2 are actually voicings you might tweak more often.

The amp looks cool but I still prefer the 5:25 express small head.[/quote']

Im old school...the fewer the knobs the better.

Some amps out now you feel like you have to take a course to be able to use them.

The most anyone can ask is that their amp can do one or two things well. The jack of all

trades amplification systems on the market today dont impress me very much.

My Mesa came with a short write up on how each channel voicing is designed. It made me understand how tube amps work better. Up until then I had been lazy about playing with the controls of amps but I like being able to know how my amp is designed and works.

There are very old Marshalls that have a slew of knobs, they are considered cool. Having 2 actual channels in an amp means a lot more knobs.

I also have 2 1-knob amps, it does not get more "old school" than that, if that is what old school means in the amplifier context.

I am actually really digging this!

Gonna have to wait on some sound clips and see how it compares to the Dual Terror, but correct me if I am wrong, you can't assign different channels, different wattage levels on the Orange. That is a main draw for me, being able to set the Wattage for different channels.

It looks pretty cool, and I figure, the knobs will be fine, all in all, it isn't THAT many, just four per channel.

I can't wait

Gonna have to wait on some sound clips and see how it compares to the Dual Terror' date=' but correct me if I am wrong, you can't assign different channels, different wattage levels on the Orange. That is a main draw for me, being able to set the Wattage for different channels.

It looks pretty cool, and I figure, the knobs will be fine, all in all, it isn't THAT many, just four per channel.[/quote']

No idea about the Orange amp; selectable wattage on each channel is a very Mesa feature (not that nobody else does it too, although I can't think of any offhand). I have a Mesa Stiletto Deuce with that feature along with the ability to assign either a tube or solid state rectifier to each channel independently.

The thing with Mesa amps is that while there is an initial learning curve involved, the controls are actually very intuitive and easy to get along with after you become familiar with them.

All that said, I use just one of the channels on my amp and haven't switched any of the modes, wattage or rectifier settings in years. I found what works for me with the amp and that's what I've been using. It's kind if a shame as I feel like I don't use it to it's full potential but, then again, it just works.

No idea about the Orange amp; selectable wattage on each channel is a very Mesa feature (not that nobody else does it too' date=' although I can't think of any offhand). I have a Mesa Stiletto Deuce with that feature along with the ability to assign either a tube or solid state rectifier to each channel independently.

The thing with Mesa amps is that while there is an initial learning curve involved, the controls are actually very intuitive and easy to get along with after you become familiar with them.

All that said, I use just one of the channels on my amp and haven't switched any of the modes, wattage or rectifier settings in years. I found what works for me with the amp and that's what I've been using. It's kind if a shame as I feel like I don't use it to it's full potential but, then again, it just works.

[/quote']

That's what I have heard, I have yet to find anyone buy a Mesa and not be happy with it. I really like the ability to go from 5 to 15 to 25 watts, offering a ton of flexibility along with two channels.

I have played with the Express series a bit, so I know a little bit.

I am actually really digging this!

Gonna have to wait on some sound clips and see how it compares to the Dual Terror' date=' but correct me if I am wrong, you can't assign different channels, different wattage levels on the Orange. That is a main draw for me, being able to set the Wattage for different channels.

It looks pretty cool, and I figure, the knobs will be fine, all in all, it isn't THAT many, just four per channel.

I can't wait[/quote']

Correct. You cannot assign different wattage levels when switching channels on the Dual Terror.

I just watched a demo of it at NAMM' date=' I just searched for mesa transatlantic, and that thing kicks ***!

Nice cleans, and good mesa gain. I will definitely be picking one up.

New Jet City stuff seems pretty cool too[/quote']

Link? :-s

Archived