Gibson Brands Forums

New AJ!!

hlarry14

I go to Guitar Center for accessories (strings, picks, etc…) pretty regularly, and agree with most of what’s been said here and other places about the general quality of their guitar stock. I do like to try different things though, so I’ll often pick up a model I’ve never played before just to see how it feels.

Until very recently I had never played an acoustic there that impressed me (I’m sure some of them were fine guitars if they had reasonable strings and set up, but if it doesn’t sound/feel good when I try it, I don’t know enough to be able to judge how it would sound and feel with fresh strings and a good setup.) Anyway, several weeks ago I was there, and they had a new Advanced Jumbo hanging on the wall. I’d never played or heard one, so I picked it up to try it. I wish there would have been someone videotaping it (maybe there was?) because I’m sure I looked pretty comical, doing an actual double take after the first chord. It sounded crazy good, and when I dug in a little I was amazed at the volume – “the cannon” indeed, it’s got more volume than my J-200. Playing bar chords up the neck, they almost sounded as good as open chords (and I’m not a very good player – I have trouble getting clean bar chords on most acoustics, and when I do hit them cleanly they sound muffled compared to open chords.)

I was not in the market for a guitar and thought maybe I was just having a really good playing day – it just seemed too good to be true. I left it there, but kept thinking about it, so I went back a couple more times and tried it again, and it was consistently great. I decided to wait and see how our taxes came out, and if I at least didn’t have to pay and if it was still there I’d go ahead and get it. Then, I decided it was too much of a risk to wait that long – surely someone would buy it. I saw that GC had a promotion going where if you traded something in, they gave you 15% off what you bought plus what you get in trade. They generally don’t give you much in trade, but I had an Epiphone EJ-200 that I had bought before I got my Gibson SJ-200. With the 15% off I actually ended up getting more out of the Epi than I had paid, and it looked like I got the Advanced Jumbo just before a Gibson price bump (that’s what the salesman told me, and when I checked the price online later that day it had indeed gone up.)

The only bad thing was that by leaving it there as long as I did (a few weeks) someone had put a fairly good ding on the bottom near the end pin. They offered to order me a new one from Gibson for the price I had negotiated, but I really think this one is special, so I’m living with the ding (actually, having the first ding out of the way before I bought it was almost a relief…) Unlike any other guitar I’ve played at Guitar center, I don’t know that this one could be set up any better – great low action, super easy to play, no fret buzzing, etc. From the serial number it looks like this guitar was made in Nov. 2009, so even the strings were pretty fresh.

I’ve had it for a couple of weeks now, and I’m so glad I went for it. I still don’t know what my taxes are going to look like, but I don’t care at this point. If I hadn’t gotten it I know I would always think of it as “the one that got away.”

ajs5.jpg

ajs4.jpg

ajs3.jpg

ajs2.jpg

ajs1.jpg

Those AJs are blindingly great when you find "the one". Unfortunately they're nigh-on impossible to get hold of in the UK, so I've never owned one.

I played (and tried to have built for me on Artist-Order) a great AJ at Gibson HQ in London, but was told they don't manufacture them for export to the UK...maybe I'll pick one up next time I tour in the US...or a custom-shop Dove...mmm :-)

Ah, another happy AJ owner in the fold. Its like being in a secret club.

Don't worry about the ding. I had mine out of the case for all of 20 minutes before I bashed it against one of the case snaps.

Enjoy !

I forget the guy's name who does the bursts at Bozeman' date=' but that man is a true artist.[/quote']

Van the Man Feldner (I seem to be the only one who calls him that, but I'm going to keep doing it until it catches on!)

Sunbursting.jpg

-- Bob R

Van the Man Feldner (I seem to be the only one who calls him that' date=' but I'm going to keep doing it until it catches on!)

-- Bob R

[/quote']

HA!

I've been calling Van that too -- go figure.... [lol]

If I could concentrate on things the way Van does when he's spraying, I might have gotten some more stuff done, and done well!

Fred

HA!

I've been calling Van that too -- go figure.... [lol]

If I could concentrate on things the way Van does when he's spraying' date=' I might have gotten some more stuff done, and done well!

Fred

[/quote']

Maybe it's just me- but' date=' ear protection & no mask is probably the exact reverse of what I'd do if that was my job!![/quote']

I may be going out on a limb here but is it concentration or is he just stoned from the vapors? [biggrin]

Maybe it's just me- but' date=' ear protection & no mask is probably the exact reverse of what I'd do if that was my job!![lol] [/quote']

He used to wear a mask (and coveralls), at OSHA's insistence. But Henry saw this when he did a tour of the factory a few years ago, and knew that some of the other big guys had installed fancy high-tech ventilation systems that made special gear unnecessary, so he decided to install one too. Working in there without a mask is now OSHA-approved. I got a chance to try it myself (briefly, on a scrap top) awhile back, and the scent of the volatiles in the lacquer, while noticeable, is not strong at all. Nowhere near as pronounced as when spraying lacquer from a can in your backyard. And ear protection isn't necessary, as there are a couple of walls between the spray booth and the main floor with the woodworking equipment. It's not loud in there.

-- Bob R

Nice AJ! I love mine and I am sure you will love yours!

What year was it built? I noticed it doesn't have the "Historic Collection" Sticker on the back of the headstock like my 2005 AJ does.

Thanks, Taylor Player! If I'm decoding the serial number correctly it was built in Nov. 2009, so just a few months ago - it's still a baby!!

Archived