Gibson Brands Forums

Van Halen

ShredAstaire

Is anyone else bothered by DLR's constant squealing and shrieking in the music?

I think I would listen to a lot more VH, but that just annoys the hell out of me...it distracts from the music big time. Their version of You Really Got Me is unlistenable because of that.....for me.

Am I alone? hehehehe

I do like the Diamond Dave era a lot more than the Van Hagar stuff.

Van Hagar - Too much soft rock and not enough silly lyrics.

w/ Diamond Dave - Those songs, including the unnecessary amount of covers, had a lot more dirt and edge.

Fair Warning and Woman And Children First are two of my favorite albums. It's not even about EVH' date=' it's just great rock music.

[/quote']

My two favs as well....

To this day I'm still after that brown tone that Eddie once had. But only to realize that in my heart of hearts, the tone was in EVH's fingers[blush]

But the chase will continue[biggrin]

I do like the Diamond Dave era a lot more than the Van Hagar stuff.

Van Hagar - Too much soft rock and not enough silly lyrics.

w/ Diamond Dave - Those songs' date=' including the unnecessary amount of covers, had a lot more dirt and edge.[/quote']

This. I agree 100%, and I couldn't have said it better.

Also, evol, I love your signature.

Van Halen with DLR were absolutely awesome. Van Halen I was an innovative album and turned rock on it's head. Then they got Hagar and seemed to loose there way. 5150 and OU812 were over commerical or over produced, and a total sell out IMO. And what's with the song Dreams :-$ .

I saw DLR live a few years ago and it was one of the best concerts I've been too (better than when I saw Nirvana in 91 and Iron maiden in 89 but not as good as AC/DC in 88).

I like Van Halen a little if I just hear it on the radio but DLR's voice has always just rubbed me the wrong way. Same with Haggar, I don't listen to VH because of the vocals on most of the songs.

I think it's awesome when my guitar teacher plays Van Halen though. He played a song by them the other day and I was like "That kicked ***!!!! What's it called?". He told me so I listened to it when I got home and I didn't like it /: |

Archived