Gibson Brands Forums

Sweetwater

Gibson CS

Im not one to order online...

Im interested in the EDS-1275

The music shops near me are about the same in price $3500

Sweetwater has the same guitar for $3099. They will take it back if

im not satisfied and ship it to me for free.

Anyone here deal with Sweetwater?

I wouldn't do it.

Get serious with a local shop, get 'em as close as you can in price.

I'd pay a couple hundred more just to avoid all the potential mail order hazards.

I ordered mine in March 2006 for $2475, paid $2675 tax and all, when it arrived in November.

It was in tune when it came out of the box, dropped half a step for shipping.

Gibson had a couple price increases since then, so $3k out the door would probably be cool.

Also, I like supporting stores that carry first line guitars made in America.

Someday they will ALL be gone and mail order will be the only choice.

Not good.

Oh, and mine has a one piece body.

No kidding.

I think that's a very good deal, and being it's -37% off plus you save sales tax from buying locally, so you're saving well over -40% off of list. And with the return policy if youre not happy, you're just stuck with return shipping. Not a bad deal at all... Sometime you do better locally, sometimes online. You just have to look for the deals, and you found one...

Let us know what you do...

Neo...

Thanks for the heads up. Your pic link doesnt work and id sure like a gander at her!

LPDEN...

Id like to shop locally. Im in Canada and unless its in inventory they have to order from the custom shop.

I need a road trip to Nashville! lol....know where I can get a good steak?

deepblue1963...I've purchased 3 guitars and various other things from Sweetwater and I would not hesitate to do it again. They have a very low turn over so through the years I've been able to do business with the same person (Tim Harrington). It's not the Musicians Friend thing by any stretch of the imagination. I alway buy locally when I can but when I go on line it's Sweetwater first.

Don

I wouldn't do it.

Get serious with a local shop' date=' get 'em as close as you can in price.

I'd pay a couple hundred more just to avoid all the potential mail order hazards.

I ordered mine in March 2006 for $2475, paid $2675 tax and all, when it arrived in November.

It was in tune when it came out of the box, dropped half a step for shipping.

Gibson had a couple price increases since then, so $3k out the door would probably be cool.

Also, I like supporting stores that carry first line guitars made in America.

Someday they will ALL be gone and mail order will be the only choice.

Not good.

Oh, and mine has a one piece body.

No kidding.[/quote']

Yeah, I agree with NeoConMan, because supporting the local stores is necessary. Otherwise they'll all be gone, and we'll all be shopping at Wal-Mart and be going to online guitar stores. Then we'll only get to play guitars at GuitarCenter........ *shudders*

I live about 20 minutes away from sweetwater's headquarters here in Fort wayne. I've been there quite a few times and I have to say that it is my favorite store (and place). The salesmen there are very helpful and they take good care of their guitars (the display models are in very good shape even). The warehouse is huge! I just got a dove from them and they were very easy to work with. I've always had extremely good experiences there. They have a very relaxing and nice atmosphere there. I haven't ordered anything online from them (i live too close to do that) but like I said - they are a very good place to get gear. Recommend them over any other dealer.

Yeah' date=' I agree with NeoConMan, because supporting the local stores is necessary. Otherwise they'll all be gone, and we'll all be shopping at Wal-Mart and be going to online guitar stores. Then we'll only get to play guitars at GuitarCenter........ *shudders*[/quote']

i would buy guitars from local-based stores but we have no local non-chain gibson dealers in my area. Sweetwater is locally based for me though. does that count? O:) it's a local non-chain store on steroids. it started out a little store but they got lucky. if i can help it i'll never go to a guitar center again.

I have bought several items from sweetwater, Including a gibson les paul. I personally recommend them. Great deals and in house credit. They just had a promo for no payments and no interest for 1 year. Call and ask for a mike at ext. 1334 he can and will go thur all of the same models in stock and let you choose from say, a serial , I personally had him give me serveral serial #'s from 9 guitars and I found one that matched my son's birth date. And they have a guitar set up dept that looks-em over/sets action and intonation for free if you want and yes free returns and a full refund if you decide to send-em back. They are all real kool over there and I'd say do-it

If you feel strongly about using a local shop then ask your local shop to match the price. Some of us don't have the luxury of having a local shop that carries high end guitars. I've delt with Sweetwater on several ocations as a mater of fact I got my GOTW bass from them. I highly recomend them, They do a free setup and double check everything before it leaves. My Bass was packed in the original Gibson box and then that was packed inside another box so there was very little chance of damage.

I have ordered from SweetWater a few times.

Their service is second to none. I receive calls every so often from the sales rep that I deal with, just to ask if there is anything I need.

As an example, I placed an order for about 10 items, I received a call from the sales rep telling me that they didn't have one of the items in stock that cost $3.00. He asked me what to do, ship without, wait to ship until the part arrived, or cancel that piece of the order.

I like service like that.O:)

I'm not sure how the taxes work when you buy from an American company and have it shipped across the border. That's something you should look into. You might get a bill for an extra couple hundred dollars.

You could always go to your local music store and tell them "This is how much Sweetwater as the guitar for, if you can match it, I will buy it from you."

...cash is king.

If you feel strongly about using a local shop then ask your local shop to match the price.

A very valid point. Many local shops have limited inventories, and don't always beat pricing. When you add tax, your out the door price is even higher. The upside to a local dealer is you can try before you buy. Even though places like Musician's Friend offers refund return guarantees, you are stuck with the return shipping fee if te guitar is unsatisfactory. 9 time out of 10 my local dealer beats the online reseelers in price, but tax closes that gap by 8%. Sometime with tax added it's a deal breaker and going online is the better deal.

From experience, you will still have to pay PST and GST even though it's duty free. The way I usually approach the shop is to tell them the other guy's price and then explain that I don't mind paying a bit more to shop locally, but the difference with tax is almost $500 (I always round up to the next hundred). I don't expect them to match the price, but if they could come a little closer, I'd prefer to keep my business local.

Hi, I think that's a pretty good deal. I've ordered few items at Sweetwater before, and I've just ordered one last week, it's on it's way this week. They're pretty reasonable with their price, and the sales reps are very helpful, they would even call you before they ship your item and when you recieve your item. Go for it, and save a few extra $ in your pocket. Let us know your what you do.

Tim...

I called both LA & L&M...They said all their prices went up this week because the Canadian dollar is now Par with the US dollar, and they wont match American prices.

Thats fine...

Problem is, no one has any in stock. L&M said they have no idea how long it would take to get one. Im calling Yorkville tomorrow morning and get the ball rolling.

I hate waiting for things.

btw..The price went up close to $300 since last month...so im told.

Tim...

I called both LA & L&M...They said all their prices went up this week because the Canadian dollar is now Par with the US dollar' date=' and they wont match American prices.

Thats fine...

Problem is, no one has any in stock. L&M said they have no idea how long it would take to get one. Im calling Yorkville tomorrow morning and get the ball rolling.

I hate waiting for things.

btw..The price went up close to $300 since last month...so im told.[/quote']

I could be wrong, but wasn't it you that started that whole post about not buying guitars through the mail last month? O:)

Saturn...

My, what a memory! lol

Yes, I did say that.

Theres a problem. Its hard enough to find a shop with ONE EDS-1275, let alone a few to try out.

I live in whats called the Golden Horseshoe. Its the area around the West end of lake Ontario.

Its basically the wealthiest area of Canada. The engine the drives this country.

We have everyhing here....

Except... an Alpine White Gibson EDS-1275.

There is not one to be had...believe me, I have checked.

Therefore in this case im going to make an exception.

Sweetwater puts it through a 55 point inspection. They are "A" list guitars, and if im not happy I can

send it back.

The guy on the phone was great!....He said as a rule Gibson wont let them ship to Canada. Gibson Canada is handled through a company called Yorkville, so they cant step on any toes by over riding Yorkvilles contract with Gibson. But since Yorkville cant find me one, hes going to see if they will make an exception.

Customer service at its best!

America...I Love You!!

Before I bought my new 1275, my dealer had two used ones hanging on the wall for MONTHS!

1978 and a 1982.

One was Walnut. Not Walnut stained, but actually made of Walnut if I understand correctly.

Instant collectible, I should have done it.

Oh well, my Custom Shop model is damned nice.

I recommend it!

Archived