Gibson Brands Forums

My first Les Paul Custom

truetone6

Hello,I am new here.I have read alot of posts here but I wasn't able to log on to this forum until today.Lot of cool and knowledgeable people here and I hope to learn alot about Gibson guitars from you all.

I am a big fan of Gibson Guitars especially Les Pauls and my favorite Les Paul is the Custom. I have wanted one since I went to college in the 1970's and listened to music like...

Gibson%20Les%20Paul.jpgFramptonLesPaul-1-1.jpg08080810325328f-1-1.jpg

This week I went my friend music store and he had just gotten this one in so I had to have it! It's a little "roadworn" but I think it looks cool. I think I am going to put some gold covers on the pickups. Good idea?

100_7798-1-2-1.jpg100_7763-1-2-1.jpg

100_7789-1.jpg

Congrats - looks like a few mods on her during the years.

Thanks for the posts guys! Yeah When I got it it looked like this:

100_7753.jpg

Below is an appraisal from George Gruhn that was in in the case

100_7752.jpg

I changed the white plastic parts to the correct black ones and ordered some gold pickup covers so it will be back to it's stock appearence. Well,except for the finish removed from the neck. The original owner removed the finish on the neck because of the problems Gruhn refers to in the appraisal. That's ok because the maple neck feels great the way it is now.

Great entrance into the forum! Congrats on a great find. If you can find some "worn" gold covers then I think it'll look great. Otherwise I'd leave it as is. Tell us about the Goldtop too...

Thanks very much. The Goldtop is a 2000 Custom Shop R 7. I got it used. It has a nice gloss finish and the pickups sound great. I think they are '57 Classics. It is lighter than my Custom and has a fatter neck.

5923e540-2.jpg

75c78b50.jpg

70bf10fc.jpg

Thanks for the posts. I posted photos of my guitar on the Les Paul Forum and actually met the the original owner of my guitar. Here is a photo he posted of how it looked in 1986 when it was still all stock. I was surprised that it actually came from the factory with gold speed knobs.

002-3.jpg

Archived