Gibson Brands Forums

AGF

albertjohn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, back to the subject.

I read the AGF from time to time, but that's all.

I've recently begun dipping my toe into the UMGF. I like that forum a lot, especially the threads where people put Christmas lights inside thier guitars so they can see the top bracing through the illuminated top. I love that kind of stuff. The people there seem very nice, and are appreciative and respectful of others' opinions and input. There are quite a few experienced and knowlegable folks there one can learn much from, too. Some of 'em post here! The topics are wide-ranging and there's plenty of traffic to keep it interesting.

But I'll always consider this my home. You guys are the best, and I'm a Gibson guy at heart.

Red 333

It must be this place...... I have a half dozen great guitars at my beck and call, yet the only one I want to wrap my arms around is someplace in Maine with a pipe running through it and a linoleum pickguard screwed on the top. [cool]

Scott- I DARE you to put that picture on the AGF with a 'Pictures of my new guitar' heading....[blush]

Node......I understand, man....I understand.......I'm glad you have made this home, and it is my home. great forum and great people and great modfather.....

I have to say I do like the "Show and Tell" section cause at least those people are playing music and putting it out there. There are too many over on AGF who only seem to brag about their $20K or $30K custom builds but then NEVER post a clip of thier playing. Even when one guy was asked directly for a sound clip of his new $30K Olsen he refused and said that if you listen to XYX James Taylor songs ...it sounds like that !! But he posted like 50 pics of his "Build". Does he even play or is he simply going to flip it?

Then what really drove me away was a post asking "Which guitar is best for "Worship" WTF? ..then a few pages into the thread someone responded that a Lutheir who posts there would build the best guitar for that because he is such a good Christian. I have to say I took the bait and simply asked if the Luthier being a good Christian was a requirement for the poster to buy a guitar. I was polite and really wondered.

My post was simple deleted with no PM or explanation by the Mod who has a Psalm reference in his signature.

I was outta there!

The Gibby forum is my home. KSDaddy does a great job controlling the Moderators Iron Glove. As they say "Less is more" and KSDaddy has that down perfect!

Man...I love you guys and gals ....

what's the purpose of that pipe or whatever it is in your mojo-swarthed Fender? I take it its structural.

I guess it was for support. Seems like overkill that didn't really help much. They typically fell apart regardless.

Some early ones didn't have the pipe. Many of them imploded. Even with the pipe many imploded. When these guitars 's**t the bed'' date=' the head blocks come undone from the sides and top, and everything pulls forward. Unfortunately they usually take good wood with them and the carnage is bloody and jagged.

I have a half dozen great guitars at my beck and call' date=' yet the only one I want to wrap my arms around is someplace in Maine with a pipe running through it and a linoleum pickguard screwed on the top.[/quote']

And to add to the romance of it, it retains the song list written in pen on first-aid kit white tape. I didn't have the heart to peel it off.

ajvuci.jpg

I re-topped one a couple years back (and way too much other work besides). The old top had been sanded paper thin and as horribly unstable. Looking at the braces, I just don't understand why they all collapsed. They were braced and braced and braced some more. This one is a POS like all Fenders, it's just a POS with a new top.

shen909a.jpg

where people put Christmas lights inside thier guitars so they can see the top bracing through the illuminated top.

I've actually done that, but not to look at the bracing; it was so I could accurately place a repair cleat. I cleated a D-41 a couple years ago and with a little 7 watt bulb the top was darn near transparent.

Then what really drove me away was a post asking "Which guitar is best for "Worship" WTF? ..then a few pages into the thread someone responded that a Lutheir who posts there would build the best guitar for that because he is such a good Christian. I have to say I took the bait and simply asked if the Luthier being a good Christian was a requirement for the poster to buy a guitar. I was polite and really wondered.

My post was simple deleted with no PM or explanation by the Mod who has a Psalm reference in his signature.

I was outta there!

The Gibby forum is my home. KSDaddy does a great job controlling the Moderators Iron Glove. As they say "Less is more" and KSDaddy has that down perfect!

Man...I love you guys and gals ....

Snort! Chortle! Guffaw! Har har har! One thing I always do is check with the luthier to see what religion they are! If it's a factory built guitar' date=' I go right on down to the factory and check out the workers before I'll buy a guitar from them. Because God will never let the intonation be right on a guitar built by an unbeliever. It says so in the, well, never mind, LOL!

And I know, I've played quite a few like that over the years, and the first thing that occurs to me is that someone with an impure heart, who did not think like me and believe like me must have built the guitar, LOL! Ain't that always the case? Let's face it, it's [i']us[/i] versus them, always! But we'll win in the end because we're just so gol durn superior in every way, LOL! We're not sinners, goddamn it! We are the righteous! And I'll bet ya a case of beer I'm right, LOL!

Holy crap! Ya know, this world is scary! Really scary! You should try living where I live. Especially if you sometimes empathize with Friedrich Nietzche! True, he was a certifiable misogynist, and a butthead in a number of other ways, but in, ahem, some things, he may have had a point. You have no idea how lucky you are if you happen to live someplace enlightened. Around here you might get death threats if you happened to crack a joke about certain religions or otherwise were construed as irreverent. Of course, it's perfectly OK to crack jokes about any religions not practiced 'round here. And even a few that are practiced 'round here. Maybe even encouraged. Because those religions belong to people who are gonna be doing the backstroke in the eternal lake of fire anyway, or so I'm told, LOL!

So check those guitars, folks! And woe unto ye who are caught with heathen-built instruments in that great day!

And yes, I'd agree. This is the best guitar forum out there, and I know 'em all. There's only a couple others, Let's Talk Guild and the UMGF that even come close. They're pretty good folks over there, too.

Cheers!

Rick...[blink]

Hello Pot? This is the Kettle calling...

C'mon guys, many of the negative things that have been said about the AGF could also be said about this forum as well (with the possible exception of the number of the worship-related threads and the "righteous police").

Heaven forbid that someone here should talk about poor quality control coming out of Bozeman given the price of the guitars or talk about the numbers of Gibsons exhibiting poor tonal characteristics: many folks will jump all over those posts. I can't say that this is totally surprising as this IS a Gibson guitar forum so there is bound to be a certain amount of biased opinions.

You'll also find far more people posting pictures of their guitars here than sound clips. More people have cameras than recording devices.

Some of these things are just human nature - many people (but certainly not all) use online forums to justify their purchases/actions, plenty of others simply want to share their joy and passion for things. It takes all types as they say.

I've not spent much time on the UMGF, but the bit of exposure that I've had has been fairly positive.

Overall, I think that the community here is pretty tight-knit and accepting, but almost nothing in life is perfect.

All the best,

Guth

Hello Pot? This is the Kettle calling...

Doggone it' date=' Guth! You're missing the point! Everything you said may very well be so, but with us it's different, because we're [i']right,[/i] damnit! LOL!

I would like to note at this point that the level of overt truculence at the AGF surpasses anything else I've found anywhere. If you're not a clique member or in lock step with them on everything, most especially in adoring the very bowel movements of their favorite luthiers, you will be condemned to the outer darkness where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth, LOL!

Cheers!

Rick...[blink]

Some healt felt views here chaps.

I'm not into bashing anything really, especially Gibsons. It took me a long time and alot of pain to get the 2 I have. And I love them.

I also own 3 cheapo yet rather charming acoustics. A Yamaha, a Fender and an Epiphone. The Yam was my first "proper" acoustic. Having just had it returned after a long term loan, it will soon be the office guitar. The other 2 will be in a car boot sale as soon as spring arrives.

My days coukl be numbered at the AGF.

But "don't knock it 'til you,ve tried it"

Wily got it right. It's great here and the Modfather is the man.

I'm not into bashing anything really' date=' especially Gibsons. It took me a long time and alot of pain to get the 2 I have. And I love them.

I also own 3 cheapo yet rather charming acoustics. A Yamaha, a Fender and an Epiphone. The Yam was my first "proper" acoustic. Having just had it returned after a long term loan, it will soon be the office guitar. The other 2 will be in a car boot sale as soon as spring arrives.

[/quote']

This is exactly what I find to be the heart and soul of great music and a guitar forum. A chap who loves his guitars and making music ...no false airs. ....that is why I love this place....yah...we like Gibsons....but we love guitars and music !! Well and we have GGirl.......(In my best Bill Murray voice).........I mean ...we got THAT go'in for us...[biggrin]

Heaven forbid that someone here should talk about poor quality control coming out of Bozeman given the price of the guitars or talk about the numbers of Gibsons exhibiting poor tonal characteristics: many folks will jump all over those posts. I can't say that this is totally surprising as this IS a Gibson guitar forum so there is bound to be a certain amount of biased opinions.

Are you kidding? I see more people complaining about Gibson quality here than other forums. And I've never seen anyone bash a Taylor here.

I disagree with your point.

This is exactly what I find to be the heart and soul of great music and a guitar forum. A chap who loves his guitars and making music ...no false airs. ....that is why I love this place....yah...we like Gibsons....but we love guitars and music !! Well and we have GGirl.......(In my best Bill Murray voice).........I mean ...we got THAT go'in for us...[blush]

+1 on this. i have a $400 seagull and i am still trying to wrap my head around the notion that its the best acoustic i've heard whilst zappa's 'shut up and play yer guitar' swirls around in my ears.

+1 on this. i have a $400 seagull and i am still trying to wrap my head around the notion that its the best acoustic i've heard whilst zappa's 'shut up and play yer guitar' swirls around in my ears.

I just read your sig line and realized you don't have any Gibsons. Kindly take leave of this place now' date=' Sir. [blush

I'm not into bashing anything really' date=' especially Gibsons. It took me a long time and alot of pain to get the 2 I have. And I love them.

My days coukl be numbered at the AGF.

But "don't knock it 'til you,ve tried it"

Wily got it right. It's great here and the Modfather is the man.[/quote']

all sorts of folk who's days have been numbered HERE too AJ.

Well, I went and took a gander and read posts at AGF. It's seems alright. [lol]

I enjoy reading anything about guitars, so I view the place as a new resource to turn to.

Thanks for bringing up the place, I had never heard of it. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to post that good looking picture of me (I know other musical primates would enjoy it).

Well' date=' I went and took a gander and read posts at AGF. It's seems alright.[/quote']

Ha! You looked! Post something. See what happens, Don Carlos.

If you really want the total effect, tell them that the big, longtime factory makers like Gibson and Martin are the only ones who really know what they're doing, and that even the best custom luthier is nothing but an amateur running peculiar experiments with acoustical projects he doesn't even understand.

Then inform them that luthier-builts aren't worth the money compared to a Gibson or Martin anymore than a homebuilt dune buggy should be worth more than a new Mercedes and that all those self-appointed luthiers should go get a real job.

That should do it. You'll feel like the guy who crashed the cannibal picnic in short order, LOL!

Cheers!

Rick...[laugh]

Archived