Gibson Brands Forums

A Ham in a burlap sack in the closet

Blackie

Yeah my dad had this Ham in the coat closet for years........

I am not far from Smithfield VA where this ham came from...

So before I say what happened to this particular Ham.........

How do you revive said Ham to be eaten ?

No an actual piece of a Pig .........salt cured I would believe.........although smoking is als used or part of the process...........

Yall have never seen a ham hanging in front of a shop in burlap........

Blackie I used to watch my gramps remove the burlap from his hams that had hung for long periods and he would wipe it down with hot water and then take a rag with vinegar and wipe it down then just scrape/cut off the outer layer. He would use a filet knife so he could cut just enough and not waste any.

You may want to take a pic to post here when you unwrap it so these city boys will know what they look like.

OK this one is similar

67_WigwamHamCooked1.jpg

: Requires no refrigeration prior to cooking. For peak flavor, prepare within 3-4 months of purchase. Store by hanging in cool, dry place. If stored longer, ham will continue to dry and become more intensely flavored.

Preparation: Mold on skin of an aged ham is natural and harmless. Remove by washing with hot water and stiff brush. (If necessary, remove portion of hock so ham fits into cooking vessel.) Prior to cooking your Wigwam ham, soaking is essential. Soak ham overnight in water to remove salt. Then, wash with warm water and stiff brush to remove mold and pepper.

...salt cured I would believe.........although smoking is als used or part of the process...........

If it is salt cured, at least part of what you want to do is soak it in a bucket of water for a day or two to draw out some of the salt.

I love me some aged' date=' cured ham. Can you say "Prosciutto."[/quote']

Living in a predominately Italian

community I can tell you there is a huge difference between ham and prosciutto (pronounced proshootoh)

Ham is smoked, prosciutto is not

Ham is salt cured, prosciutto is spice cured, and initially raw. We have a local sausage here called "soupy" that's also initially raw, and it too is cured with spices, and soaked in olive oil for the entire curing process (up to 4 months). No, there is a diference between the two...

Archived