Gibson Brands Forums

The 1961 Les Paul

Californiaman

I've posted about this before but not too specifically.

Hypothetically speaking, if you had the money to spend on a 1961 Les Paul, would you?

Would you play it or put it in a pretty case?

I know I wouldn't take it out on tour with me. But I would use it to make great music. I'd certainly record with said instrument. Now the discussion inevitably turns to price; anywhere from 15K to 20K on eBay. Lets say money is no object for you.

If you could get one for under 15K (one that's in good condition for its' age) would you spend the money?

My wife and I were talking about this today. She's of the mind that she would buy it and make music with it and like me she would certainly not take it out to play, but would only use it to record with.

Discuss ladies and gentlemen; please.

If I had nothing else to spend it on, I would.

The 1961 Les Paul (and other early SGs) are the only kind I'm particularly interested in, and one with a Les Paul nameplate especially for the "odd" factor. It's kind of the same way with the early 80s Spirit/Special models. Even though they're identical, I'd rather have one with the Epiphone USA logo than the Gibson logo, just to be a little different.

I'd use it - recording and all... I don't know that I'd take it out to shows, because any damage to my guitars is from show-related activities. But it certainly wouldn't sit in the case or display case all the time.

I would probably store it in a display case, though, if it were in particularly nice condition.

Also, if I had my way, I'd have a Standard, Special, and Junior. I don't care so much for the Custom.

Todd, the notion of me ever having 15K to drop on an instrument is so hypothetical as to be impossible to consider. That plus the fact that the '61 Custom was what my rhythm player had in my last garage band in HS. It was the finest neck I've EVER put my hand around, although at the time I couldn't play more than a few chords. Point is, it was once very real to me...but was just a nice guitar that one of my guys played. Now it's an icon...and hella expensive. I'd consider $5 - 6K on a nice B3 and Leslie a major but do-able expense. Three times that much on an axe is just too rich for me. I hope you come to a comfortable and happy resolution. Don't walk away with regrets. [cool]

ScruftyPersonified002.jpg

Not being an SG guy, I'd leave it on the market for someone who was.

Then I'd go out and get me a 1958 or 1959 ES 335, then I'd get it a nice Glass Case that hangs on the wall.....no...I'd build it a nice glass case into the wall, with a Piano Hinged glass door that allowed easy access for using it to Record, Special Jams or Gigs, and just playing when I felt like it.

NO REGULAR GIGGING OR TOURING.

But since money is no object, I'd shop around for the best custom shop in America and have them make me Two just like it, for Gigging/touring (if I have this much money I must be touring with Clapton or Sheryl Crow). While they're at it they can make me Two more Nighthawks, one just like the one I got and one made a lot like this Les Paul Supreme, and while your at it, Throw in the Les Paul Supreme.

GuitarLPSupremeBody001web.jpg

Gibson_Les_Paul_Supreme_Root_Beer.jpg

Probably, the most expensive SG I would ever buy is the '61 Re-Issue. Many will argue that this is ''not the real thing'', but in my humble opinion, the difference in the tone of the two is not justified by the huge gap in the price. I could built me a studio with the rest money!

Generally speaking, I LOVE everything about SGs and there is one this little thing that I HATE: the fact that they are neck-heavyand they don't stop leaning on the front, all the time. It bugs me, even when playing sitting down.

There is a you-tube video, where a guy compares a ES re-issue with an all-original ES. Perhaps when returning home I can find it and post. It's quite interesting...

Its all relative really. If you can afford instruments of that price and your a player not just a collector, you play it.

I've seen Paul Mccartney throw his iconic 63 hofner violin bass 20 feet to his guitar tech!! Crazy as marrying a one legged blonde I say!

The guitar influenced a generation and he's been offered huge money for it but to a man worth zillions of dollars its just another instrument.

I agree with Hector- I hate the neck heavyness of them.

But, if I was to get a classic guitar, a nice LP or 335 for that same price range, I would play it. I will never buy anything to just have it sit there or look pretty. As beautiful as guitars are, they are tools.

That's just me. Hell, even if I had a '59 Les Paul, all original, I would just play the snot out of the thing, if I couldn't just sell it and use the thousands of dollars for all my other musical needs [thumbup]

Guitars are meant to be played. Play it

No. Even if I had the money, I don't think I could spend 5 figures on a guitar and have a clear conscience. But I'll play along. If I were to hypothetically own one, hell yes I'd play it. Tour with it? No. Record, yes. If I ever make it in a top selling band, I would have an exact replica of my fav guitar for touring. Mmmmm....that would be sweet.

My first thought was, "Naaah... even if someone gave it to me, I'd do the glass case thing."

Then...

I dunno. I personally have a hard time with the fiddlers who will haul a Strad around the world to play, and those are way more money than any guitar.

I know I'll never have the cash to drop on a really high end guitar, but were a 175 given me, I'd probably have it half worn out within 10 years. <grin>

Okay, then on the neck weight thing. I guess I've never understood that as a problem. To me the SG shape is a lot more comfortable overall than the heavier LP shape. I've played quite a bit with the SG shape, tried the LP shape and gave it up. I dunno...

m

Not being an SG guy' date=' I'd leave it on the market for someone who was. [/quote']

Same, of course I'll get an Sg... someday. But then again I'm such an LP whore...

I serioulsy I always come back to LPs...

Probably almost definitely not. 20 frikin thOUSAND dollars on a guitar that i would be so afraid to have anything happen to i would never take it anywhere or do anything with it?. I would just buy a much less expensive way more durable guitar that wouldn't be the end of the world if i dropped it.

If I had that kind of cash to spend on anything, I would buy every freakin guitar I wanted and play the ever lovin hell out of them, regardless of the price and what they were. Same goes for cars, drive the hell out of them. Then, in the end, those that wanted them could buy them for what they were worth after I had my way with them. After all, that is what money is for right? Don't get me wrong, I would buy them because I thought they were beautiful in the first place. To hear them would be over the top. That is the thin line between chaos and reality with a price.

The same goes for if I only had money for just one -

Archived