Gibson Brands Forums

Best concert you've seen

Dirtideed

I've seen too many concerts to make a call like that.

Really, I've been seeing concerts since 1978.

My hard earned money, as well as the free shows I've seen when I was reviewing and interviewing bands for an A&E section of the local paper in Orange County, Santa Barbara County, and San Luis Obispo, has resulted in literally hundreds of concerts. Everything from headliners to festivals.

There's just too many to mention.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metallica last October w/ Gojira and LoG. I don't like LoG but Gojira so was F-ing awesome they made up for it. Metallica was always great. Especially standing on the rail just a few feet from the boys.

Pagan Knights was pretty awesome. Alestorm, Suidakra, and Týr headlining. Great set lists and meeting Týr after it was over.

Not COC? I saw Clutch' date=' COC, Nebula and the Mystick Crewe of Clearlight at an amazing venue in Seattle....

This was the show I referred to earlier when I simply stated "Clutch"

The ONLY issue was that it was a weeknight and there is a noise ordinance in the city so they had to shut COC down at 1am....they had only played for an hour! Still amazing!!!!

4 killer bands....[/quote']

COC's never played a show near enough for me to go. If they were anywhere in the state, I would have found a way to get there.

Maybe once they start touring again... [drool]

Many many years ago...

YES when they still had Rick Wakeman playing keyboards' date=' and of course Steve Howe, Jon Anderson, Chris Squire & Alan White.

Closely followed by Jethro Tull in the same year.

[/quote']

+1 I saw the same tours in Boston and I couldn't agree more with you... Yes always had incredible visuals and lighting too...

Right up there also were Led Zeppelin of course....

Slayer at Stones in Frisco back in '86 hell awaits tour-300 capacity club standing room. Kerry' date='hanneman,araya,and best drummer Dave lombardo tore the place. nonstopped,loud grinding speed metal.smoke in the air/leather jackets with spikes, beer cans tables, mosh pit and stage diving.[/quote']

I never saw Slayer, but I remember I had a buddy who was a bouncer at Hammerjacks (see avatar). Now crazy was the norm at Hammerjacks, but he told my he never saw anything like when Slayer played. People weren't just stage diving, but actually jumping from the second floor onto the crowd below!

L5Larry...

Some of these responses make you feel as old as they do me? <grin>

When I was in college we had both the count and the duke for dances.

I got to meet Harry James at a concert. Almost nobody there and the promoters lost their shirts. The concert, though, was perfect even though I'll wager he'd had rehearsals with bigger audiences. <grin>

m

Joe Pass' date=' Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, and Ella Fitzgerald at the Fox Theater in St. Louis, in the early 80's.[/quote']

That would have been a great show. I was lucky enough to see MJQ and Dave Brubeck (not on the same show).

1970 Forest Hills Queens NY tennis stadium, we couldn’t get tickets for the scheduled shows, they sold out in 2 seconds, and then they add an extra show, which is scheduled before the other shows. We score tickets and sit stage level center on the other side of the tennis court.

They open with some oldies Can't Explain, Happy Jack, then on to some Tommy, the Live at Leeds. Magic Bus & My Generation with the Tommy melody and a few more, then Pete say they have some new songs to do from a new album coming out tomorrow called "WHO's NEXT" and they open with Wont get Fooled Again !

L5Larry...

Some of these responses make you feel as old as they do me? <grin>

Don't feel old... I don't think anyone here is old.... You are more experienced than most that's all...:) As I am...[biggrin]

I have seen Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison and the Doors live... Not the best concerts I have ever seen but two that I am most proud to be able to say I saw live....

1970 Forest Hills Queens NY tennis stadium' date=' we couldn’t get tickets for the scheduled shows, they sold out in 2 seconds, and then they add an extra show, which is scheduled before the other shows. We score tickets and sit stage level center on the other side of the tennis court. [/quote']

Two of us slept outside Ticketron outlets, just in case. Both got tickets. We sat stage left, bottom of the bleachers. One of the girls that was supposed to go couldn't.

You should have called![biggrin]

Two of us slept outside Ticketron outlets' date=' just in case. Both got tickets. We sat stage left, bottom of the bleachers. One of the girls that was supposed to go couldn't.

You should have called![biggrin

I did at least one concert with The Who in 1966...sure wish I could remember it....(DAMN the 60's!!!)

I did at least one concert with The Who in 1966...sure wish I could remember it....(DAMN the 60's!!!)

I wish you could remember it too![biggrin] It'd be great to hear about![biggrin] Looks like you spent some time "away" with quite a few good friends of mine (some were there and home before you). ThX..

I wish you could remember it too![biggrin] It'd be great to hear about![biggrin] Looks like you spent some time "away" with quite a few good friends of mine (some were there and home before you). ThX..

Yeah... there were a LOT of us who took that "extended vacation in Southeast Asia". I hope all your friends made it back okay.

I actually do remember many, MANY of the groups I worked with. But a few, I only know we worked with them because there are posters, etc. There are a few that I simply don't remember.... (The Animals, The WHO and some others).....but I DO remember The Yardbirds, Byrds, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Turtles, Janice Joplin, Chuck Berry, The Leaves, Buffalo Springfield, THEM, The Grassroots, LOVE, etc...etc...etc.....

probably ac/dc ballbreaker tour in the mid 90's but a very close second was colin james earlier this year..

i have a couple more over the next few months, barenaked ladies, alice cooper/ rob zombie, beach boys and iron maiden.

Archived