Gibson Brands Forums

What would be your signature guitar?

Silenced Fred

dem00n and me (yes i used improper grammar as a tribute) were on joshlays thread and it got me thinking... what would your signature guitar be if a company asked you to put your name on one.

For me, 335 with 57 in the neck 57+ or Pearly Gates in the bridge, wired out of phase, Firebird neck and headstock like the Dave Grohl one.

Cool topic man... I think my signature guitar would be similar to my LP Special below, but I'd like a tobacco/natural burst finish, binding on the neck, and a bigger (70's style) headstock.

111_4X6.jpg

I would want a few different versions with different pickups.

My signature would be a SG with full pickguard and a body that is beveled and tapered to perfection. I like a neck that is narrow (fretboard width wise) whether it's thick or thin. I would want an ABR-1 and a short tail vibrato. Trapezoid inlays and créme fretboard binding.

Here's the weird part. I would want one with Strat pickups (SSS), one with p90s, and of course one with some choice humbuckers. I've always thought that Strat single coils would be cool in an SG.

Well...an SG with a half pickguard, a yellow-ish finish (think Ibanez's "Poisoned Pumpkin" finish"), Filtertron pickups, a Bigsby B5 and an ebony fretboard with block inlays. I know that Gibson would probably have trouble doing a guitar with Gretsch pickups and Bigsby hardware, but I'm sure they could find a way around that. The brand-mixing thing is weird, but damnit I want Filtertrons!

You might think it sounds weird, I think it would be awesome. In fact, I might just put one of those together if Gibson's not gonna do it for me.

I have two in mind - one from Gibson.

Basically a Bigsby-equipped Cherryburst 1960 Les Paul with a nice tiger stripe-looking flame Maple top.

phil%20harris%20&%20jimmy%20page%20les%20pauls%20002.jpg

Chrome hardware, including the jackplate, Schaller straplocks and locking Grover tuners.

Lower output humbuckers - sorta PAF/57 Classic-ish....

I'd love to do coil taps and push/pull tone pots, but I have something better in mind.

The Gibson control scheme has always driven me CRAZY!

Years ago, I bought a cheap-*** Danelectro reissue with the stacked tone/volume controls.

Smartest set up I ever saw on a guitar.

Since the LP has separate tone/vol pots they don't need to be stacked, but I want them to act independently.

Leave the selector in the middle, then dial either pickup in or out as desired.

If I could still do coil taps in addition to all that, I would call it the PERFECT Les Paul control layout.

None of this VOS/Tom Murphy/Aged/Relic/Worn/Faded/fxcked-up finish bullsh!t either - it's gonna SHINE!

The other one would be from Fender;

Natural finish Ash American Stratocaster with Dove P-90s in a B/W/B pickguard, and a Maple modified "C" neck.

3375030724_0571f591bf.jpg

3375030728_6236db770b.jpg

Gotta have the big headstock to finish off that 70's vibe, but on a modern micro-tilt/4-bolt neck.

American Fender trem, Fender/Schaller locking tuners, Schaller straplocks.

Gibson pots, and an SG 3-way selector switch.

Oh, wait....

I already own that one - cuz I built it myself!!!

[blush]/

Not to come out as an asshole, but if some brand told me they were making a thundergod signature, it would surely be exactly like this one (tho we all know brands don't make signatures the way artists ask them to, they cut costs everywhere)

telecasterpickguards002.jpg

estudio18defebrero016.jpg

Hey, it's got my initials already, so why do I care if other guys can buy one of her? I preffer to be the only one who has it [blush]

nuevas051.jpg

For me....

Just a nice 175, probably a sunburst. Nothing special except an added master volume.

It's one of those deals where yeah, it'd be neat to have a piezo bridge. But in general, I think just fine materials and maybe just a teeny bit wider fingerboard and maybe just a teeny bit shorter scale. Since the fingerboard and scale ain't likely, especially the scale, It'd say just ... nice like a 175 with a master volume.

Oh, why the master volume on a jazz guitar that most guys say they never use the bridge pickup on anyway?

I like to get a bit brighter sometimes, but diddling to keep two volume and two tone properly handled seems a bit silly if a master volume lets you get things set the way you like for balance, then use the master volume.

m

Archived