Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall, Mesa Boogie, or Orange?

El_Jeffe_Solid

The Mesa is probably the most versatile of the three.

How do you know? He didn't say what Marshall or Mesa he planned to purchase, and there are Marshalls that are just as versatile as Mesas. Orage on the other hand while not as versatile as Marshall or Mesa, still has a sound all of it's own. Like I said before, you need to try all of them out to really know which one you will like best.

you need to try all of them out for yourself to decide which one is best for you. Tone is subjective to the individual.

That's a good idea. I need to take my Les Paul to Guitar Center or something. I am really looking forward to trying it out with a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb. I must have spring reverb..... Digital just doesn't do it for me.

Get the guitar first' date=' then go where the amps are available and plug in. The nearest guitar shop for me is over 120 miles away (round trip) so I live in HillBilly he11.[/quote']

Haha. Yeah man, I feel ya. The nearest Guitar Shop that is worth anything for me is a six hour drive round trip. I need to move to Portland or Seattle. lol

How do you know? He didn't say what Marshall or Mesa he planned to purchase' date=' and there are Marshalls that are just as versatile as Mesas. Orage on the other hand while not as versatile as Marshall or Mesa, still has a sound all of it's own. Like I said before, you need to try all of them out to really know which one you will like best.[/quote']

Ok, generally the Mesa will be more versatile. Happy?

What's your budget?

That's the elephant in the room.

Can you afford the Orange?

They're that expensive for a reason.

Boogie ain't cheap, but I dare say they're worth every penny.

Marshalls can be a relative bargain in comparison.

Whatever you buy, don't let lots of gadgets, gizmos and switches romance you with their "versatility"...

A simple amp that works is heavenly.

I would choose Orange just because I generally prefer it's tones to Marshall and Mesa. The Orange is most likely the least versatile but I don't know about you but I could definately make it work.

The Mesa would likely be the most versatile but they're not really my cup of tea personally.

The Marshall is always a solid choice. Great amps but again not my personal favorite.

I don't think you could go wrong with most of those brands amps. You just have to try some out.

What's your budget?

That's the elephant in the room.

Can you afford the Orange?

They're that expensive for a reason.

Boogie ain't cheap' date=' but I dare say they're worth every penny.

Marshalls can be a relative bargain in comparison.

Whatever you buy, don't let lots of gadgets, gizmos and switches romance you with their "versatility"...

A simple amp that works is heavenly.[/quote']

Well, I am going to use ebay, and buy used, because it's a lot cheaper that way. I'm not into gadgets and gizmos and such. I agree with you 100%!

Since I am posting on customer service and warranty issues. I know with my mesa, never once during the five year warranty period did I have to shell out

a single penny for a repair, and with their vast warranty shops of different calibers, some shops are basic, mid level, and advanced, I only had to ship it one time. I do live in a remote area but even here the closest low tier shop is only an hour away. Try to get an orange or a marshall serviced under warranty.

Most of the time you are shipping it with a min. of three weeks turn around. Most mesa shops know what the problem is before you finish your sentance.

I have had some great mesa's and I have owned one that plenty a player wish they never crossed paths, as with most amps.

Yet since music is an art of sound, only you can decide what sounds best to you. Depending on models from each of the three companies, they all have swiss army knives and one trick ponies. ImHo, two amp heads are my favorite way to go, one for clean, and another for the distorted areas. I have found that even the swiss army knives are handy, but come with some drawbacks of reliabilty, at least from my experience. I can always have one of two heads die while playing and toss some effects in the line of the other to get through the night.

Just some thoughts, yet what sounds great to you may sound very different to me.

Best to you.

I must have spring reverb..... Digital just doesn't do it for me.

I LOVE Marshalls...but frankly the on-board reverb' date=' when available, is not that great (think Fender)...if you [b']MUST[/b] have reverb with a Marshall you should run it with a Fender Reverb tank it you don't like pedals...:)

You'll probably prefer the Mesas...

Okay... here I go:

What is your 'sound'? Genres, styles of music, what?

Personally, I like Orange, sounds real cool. If its a model that doesn't have reverb (I haven't played any models with a reverb from them) But you can always get a Fender reverb tank, its like a pedal thing or something.

Orange is a unique sound, but so is Marshall, and so is Mesa. Try them out, but maybe if you mention what you play, we can make some better suggestions.

Archived