Gibson Brands Forums

prob with les paul studio

sweep1912

1. Is it a new guitar?

2. Is it black?

3, What part of your hand is turning color the pads of your fingers that touch the strings and fretboard or the palm of your hand and the inside curve of your thumb that are on the back of your guitar neck.

It can take a while for a finish to cure but the normal complaint is a sticky feeling not black fingers. Discoloration is usually from a really dirty fretboard or strings. I have had that happen on a few guitars that spent too much time in smoky filthy bars but thats pretty obvious. [cool]

If you mean that the tips of your fingers are getting black, it's probably because the guitar is new and the dye on the fretboard is running a bit. That will stop in a week or two, nothing to worry about...

Is this an Epiphone or a Gibson Les Paul?

HI THANKS 4 THAT IT IS A LES PAUL STUDIO ITS NOT NEW IT WAS MADE IN O4 JUST THE TIPS OF MY FINGERS ARE GOING BLACK SHOULD I CLEAN THE NECK IF WHAT WITH THANKS

Take your caps lock off.... No need to shout we hear you... [cool] If it's just the tips of your fingers it might be that you strings are old or/and very tarnished. Do your G B and high E strings look black or shiny silver.... If they are black thats whats going on to your fingers...

It's got nothing to do with your guitar - there's nothing wrong with it. It's the strings making your fingers go black.

i thort that at first ive changed the strings 2 days ago still the same fingers still going black i only use i make off strings i use on all my other guitars and they seem to be fine

You might think I'm being a smart arz but you would be surprised what a little soap will do for ya. I do before and after I play. I also wipe down my guitars before and after; this is either at the house or at gigs. 30 plus years of experience talking here; sometimes the easiest resolutions are over looked because they are just too simple.

I think that the oils from the hand can create some funky residue with the strings for some people. This happened to me often when I was younger. Washing my hands prior to playing reduced this.

You might think I'm being a smart arz but you would be surprised what a little soap will do for ya. I do before and after I play. I also wipe down my guitars before and after; this is either at the house or at gigs. 30 plus years of experience talking here; sometimes the easiest resolutions are over looked because they are just too simple.

no not at all help you people can give me the beter i to clean my axe after use just the same as you thanks for you comments

The only time I ever had my Fingers turn Black was from a Harmony Acoustic I got from Sears. The fretboard was painted black and coming right off onto my fingers. That was a super-cheap guitar, shouldn't be happening with a Gibson or even an Epiphone. It may be that the fretboard is so dirty the Grime from the last owner is coming off, but that would be pretty dirty. Besides, the residue from old strings is more Grey than Black

I have a sneaking hunch you have a cheap imitation, but since we don't want to jump to conclusions, a few pictures would be nice.

Does it have a Bolt on Neck?

The fern bar fans have pretty well killed saloons.

In fact, they've done more to kill 'em around here, and the music played in them, than Carrie Nation.

There still are two here with smoking and spittoons. I'll wager they'll be gone in a year as such; gone entirely within three to five years. Small town joints with live music....

Meanwhile the "no smoking" joints have no live music around here. They did some when smoking was allowed, but the trade slipped and slipped regardless of what the fern bar crowd sez.

Folks do their parties at home in winter and in the back yard in good weather 'stedda in the saloon. It's cheaper, too.

m

Archived