Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 is healthy and home!

Jinder

I picked up my SJ200 from my regular luthier, Lee Norris of Christchurch in Dorset, this afternoon...

And, well, wow-you'd never know the repair was there. It is beautifully done, neck refinished (invisibly so) and the whole thing looks good as new and plays like butter.

If anything, I'd say it even sounds better than before, but that could just be my ears being grateful to have her home and in one piece again!

I'm away from a computer at the moment and posting from my iPhone, but I'll get pics done and up asap :-D

Jinder....great news....do you have any pics of the repair? Do you have to be real careful of the neck now or is it "better than new"!!!??? Good thing you didn't have to trash it.....I will keep my eye out for any replacement necks from damaged SJ's just in case.....Play her well!!!

Wow, that WAS fast! Can you play it right away, or do you have to wait for glue to 'cure' or something like that? Is it like a car, and you have to stay within a certain speed until it's broken in? [blink]

All kidding aside, I am very happy for you. That guitar deserves a second life!

Wow' date=' that WAS fast! Can you play it right away, or do you have to wait for glue to 'cure' or something like that? Is it like a car, and you have to stay within a certain speed until it's broken in? [biggrin']

All kidding aside, I am very happy for you. That guitar deserves a second life!

GG....love you new pic!!!....lol.....very RETRO!!!

GG....love you new pic!!!....lol.....very RETRO!!!

Thank ya Thank ya very much! ;-) It's a My Yearbook photo. The site's offline for updating but I think when it's back up we should all have a Yearbook month here at the forum. That would be a blast.

Sorry for the temporary hijack, Jinder :-k

Thanks all!!

Yes I couldn't believe how quickly it got sorted-I think it was Sat when I dropped it off. Thankfully my luthier wasn't too busy and could get straight onto it, he must have worked night and day to get it finished in two days straight, but he knows I depend on my guitars and I am

very thankful to have it back so soon.

The repair is amazing-you'd never know it had ever been off, save for a minute amount of crazing along the headstock faceplate lacquer where the veneer meets

the binding...this is the only thing that was holding the headstock on whilst broken, and the flexing has caused the lacquer to craze a tiny bit at the joint, but you'd never notice from any more than a couple of inches away.

The refinish on the back of the neck is amazing-absolutely top drawer craftsmanship.

The repair should be good and strong, but as it's the second break the old girl's had, I will be babying her a bit from now on...I may even invest in a nice new case, a Calton perhaps. I don't want to risk a third break!

Wily, thanks for the offer to keep an eye out for replacement necks-please do let me know if anything turns up-I'd like to own one just in case there is another break at some point...natural or 'burst is fine, the guitar is a 'burst but I can always get the neck refinished during the install if need be.

Thanks again for your care and concern, all!!

Pics will follow asap :-)

Archived