Gibson Brands Forums

How subjective the sound of a guitar can be.....

onewilyfool

Yesterday, I put new strings on three guitars, must have just been my mood at the time, but when I finished, they all sounded brassy and harsh, and I was thinking, " I will never use those strings again!" This morning, they sounded fantastic.....it's hard to figure sometimes.....

I've encountered that before, too. I guess you get the tone of the "dead" strings in your head which makes the new ones sound so much more "louder". After a day of the strings "stretching out", your ears adjust to the tone of the new ones. Ain't nothing like the sound of a new set of Elixers on my ol' Gibby!!!

And Wiley- changing strings on THREE guitars, (and I'm assuming they're all Gibbys), is a labor of love, huh?!!! [biggrin]

... I guess you get the tone of the "dead" strings in your head which makes the new ones sound so much more "louder". ...

I've noticed some of the members here really like the sound of "old" strings. Some them even proudly state they can't remember the last time they changed strings. Okay, that's cool. For me, giggin makes 'em fade quick. My "house" guitars get changed at least once a quarter (3 months), but sooner if they started sounding dead. I love the sound of new strings put out.

changing strings on THREE guitars' date=' (and I'm assuming they're all Gibbys), is a labor of love, huh?!!! [wink

A few weeks ago I changed the strings on 10 guitars (three of which were 12 strings) and one mandolin in a day!

A few weeks ago I changed the strings on 10 guitars (three of which were 12 strings) and one mandolin in a day!

Ugh. I would have walked away after about the third one. Well, if my bench was clean and my cutters sharp I might hold out better, but I like doing a neat job and after about three I would get sloppy.

I think brand new strings sound awful. Sometimes they settle in after a day or so, but for a while....ick.

Classicals are worse. You have all heard my rants on that. Takes a solid month before they know their job.

The problem with having more than one guitar is that you have to change more strings. I hate changing strings. That's my task this afternoon. But I'm only doing one, cause that's how long I'll last. I have to psych myself up. I'm ashamed to admit that the strings on Magic have been on for over a year. And I DON'T like the sound of dead strings. I bought mediums too so I'll have sore fingers tomorrow. But tonight, tonight will be magic :)

I like the sound of new strings after about an hour of playing in.

I tend to change strings after every couple of gigs. Before I stopped drinking, as I mentioned in a previous thread, my natural finger oils were quite corrosive and this would necessitate a fresh set of strings for every gig...I save a ton of money now, both on strings and booze!

I have, as a result of years of fitting new strings for every gig, become some sort of stealth operator when it comes to string changing time. I always buy a new pair of good quality side-cutters for my guitar case every year, and keep a decent string winder and pin puller in there too. From taking the guitar out of the case to having it strung up, tuned up and strings stretched in takes me around four-to-five minutes...and that's a neat job too-I'm a fusspot when it comes to having a neat headstock.

Like some of you, folks I don't like to change often the strings of my guitars.

I don't play often gigs before public so I stay home and the "kitchen playing" for me is good with 2-3 months strings.

Now I use Martin phosphor bronze 12-53 on all my steel string guitars. Tried Gibson bronze 12-53 on M-R GIBS but prefere Martin on this guitar.

And yes - I love the sound of the changed strings but on the second day. I have noticed that M-R GIBS sound veeeeery good when the weather is humid and my "GALE" sounds better when it is warm and dry. Both are stunning instruments.

And as we are speaking about different sound I must confess here that I have a small GAS attack. Two days ago I went on a gig and I played for a while on the Takamine of a friend of mine (cedar top and solid mahogany back&sides). The sound was different from the sound of my guitars and as I have no such sound in the house I plan, no - I am sure already that I will have a mahogany drednout. Will buy a Silver Creek D-160 and will set it up with my luthier. The model is cheep enough to buy it and yes - this is a GAS but what to do...

Life is short - buy the geetar...

I just LOVE Elixirs too Like Larryp58, especially on the old guitars. But for some reason, they don't sound good on my Martin. So I've switched to Martin SP's 12's which Nodehopper recommended. I am VERY happy with those, but I'm sure I will regret the longevity of the Elixirs, and I think Node said that Martin SP's are no longer available????? JUST when I find something I like....lol....

To Gilliangirl,

I must say that I admire folks who will sacrifice their fingers for the sound of Medium-gauge strings. I've always feared their effect on my acoustic guitars. When tuned up to pitch, do you think most Gibsons, Martins, Collings and other quality guitars can handle them without stressing their top bracing or their bridgework? Anyone had problems associated with their use? Do you find that acoustics with scalloped bracing handle heavier strings okay? I have a set of Martin mediums ready to install but I always use Lights and I can't quite make myself put them on anything. No doubt they'd improve the tone. You're a brave lady. Any advice? Magic sounds like a good time.

Jack6849

Hi folks...

I think the sound of strings is even more subjective than the "day after" thing.

Any different room; any different angle; even the ambient sound you might have been around before hearing the guitar.

I'll wager that at my age and degree of ear damage I hear less highs compared to lows, too.

... I dunno about various sorts of strings on flattops - I've always done very light ones, 10s being the heaviest, on my acoustics or EA guitars.

BUT...

I'll never forget nearly 45 years ago attempting to play Mother Maybelle's Gibson archtop. I'd been playing a lot of 12-string, but even so, I wasn't strong enough to play the darned thing with these huge, thick strings, and her fingers just danced along 'em. OTOH, the tailpiece-bridge-arched top is gonna have different sorts of pressures than a flattop.

m

To Gilliangirl' date='

I must say that I admire folks who will sacrifice their fingers for the sound of Medium-guage strings. I've always feared their effect on my acoustic guitars. When tuned up to pitch, do you think most Gibsons, Martins, Collings and other quality guitars can handle them without stressing their top bracing or their bridgework? Anyone had problems associated with their use? Do you find that acoustics with scalloped bracing handle heavier strings okay? I have a set of Martin mediums ready to install but I always use Lights and I can't quite make myself put them on anything. No doubt they'd improve the tone. You're a brave lady. Any advice? Magic sounds like a good time.

Jack6849[/quote']

Hi Jack, I'm not brave at all. I just love the extra 'oomph' that the mediums give the guitar. For me they're really not practical because they're harder to play and I struggle to sing over them, but every now and then I treat myself to a set of mediums just for the thrill of it. I have had no problems at all putting mediums on any of my guitars. Some will tell you that Gibsons sound best with mediums, especially J45's.

To Gilliangirl' date='

I must say that I admire folks who will sacrifice their fingers for the sound of Medium-guage strings. I've always feared their effect on my acoustic guitars. When tuned up to pitch, do you think most Gibsons, Martins, Collings and other quality guitars can handle them without stressing their top bracing or their bridgework? Anyone had problems associated with their use? Do you find that acoustics with scalloped bracing handle heavier strings okay? I have a set of Martin mediums ready to install but I always use Lights and I can't quite make myself put them on anything. No doubt they'd improve the tone. You're a brave lady. Any advice? Magic sounds like a good time.

Jack6849[/quote']

ok not to jinx myself, but I have always used mediums on my J30 (since 1997) and no problems yet. Also have them on my AJ for over a year now.

Okay, I think I'll put my Martin Medium Gauge 80/20 Bronze strings on one of my guitars tonight while I watch "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS.

Last week on that show, a guy brought in a 1941 Martin 000-42! He made my night. As I recall, the Antiques Roadshow appraiser said he thought it was worth about $65K.

Anyway... When I used to occasionally use medium gauge strings, I would sometimes lighten up the high E and the B (unwound) strings by replacing them with slightly lighter singles, which I purchased separately. That way I got all the lows and the bass punch but the guitar felt a little less stiff and more accessible in the higher range for finger picking. It's fun to experiment, but I always seem to go back to Martin Light 80/20 Bronze strings after a short time. I also don't know why I've never been able to warm up to the sound of Phosphor Bronze. It sounds "tinny" to my ear.

Stuck in my rut, I guess. But as Gilliangirl said, Mediums are fun for a while. Thanks to Yaz also. Maybe I'll go all the way and try the Mediums on my SJ-200 "True Vintage". That should make for a "big" sound.

Have fun,

Jack6849

Okay' date=' I think I'll put my Martin Medium Gauge 80/20 Bronze strings on one of my guitars tonight while I watch "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS.

Last week on that show, a guy brought in a 1941 Martin 000-42! He made my night. As I recall, the Antiques Roadshow appraiser said he thought it was worth about $65K.

Anyway... When I used to occasionally use medium gauge strings, I would sometimes lighten up the high E and the B (unwound) strings by replacing them with slightly lighter singles, which I purchased separately. That way I got all the lows and the bass punch but the guitar felt a little less stiff and more accessible in the higher range for finger picking. It's fun to experiment, but I always seem to go back to Martin Light 80/20 Bronze strings after a short time. I also don't know why I've never been able to warm up to the sound of Phosphor Bronze. It sounds "tinny" to my ear.

Stuck in my rut, I guess. But as Gilliangirl said, Mediums are fun for a while. Thanks to Yaz also. Maybe I'll go all the way and try the Mediums on my SJ-200 "True Vintage". That should make for a "big" sound.

Have fun,

Jack6849[/quote']

It would be great if they devoted one complete show to old and odd guitars (with enough advert ahead of time so as not to miss the show) !

i know what you mean regarding sound. as for actually changing strings, i dont mind doing my own guitars because i know which strings work and how much adjustment etc, i get a little nervous with new or other peoples guitars. tuning them up and there all sorts of creeks as the strings are stretching..mmm so much fun!!!! not!!!

I dislike two things, when it comes to guitars. The sound of new strings, and how some instruments can really be different from one day to the next, which I think is probably due to variations in levels of humidity and temperature. Even in a humidity controlled environment, I swear, some guitars can be so sensitive that even minor changes, like going from 45% RH to 50% RH can make the difference from a 'git sounding great to sounding kinda dead and thumpy. And it seems to me, that the lighter the build, and the newer the guitar, the more prone it can be towards being temperamental. My oldest guitars with the heaviest builds seem to be the most resistant to change.

Gimme an old guitar, with played-in strings, without all that brassy newish crispness, when the wood is on the dry end (without being so dangerously dry as to cause cracks), and I'll have a good day. (If my fingers will let me.) New strings, a rainy day, and a tubby sound ... it's time to either switch guitars, or put them all down and go play piano until things improve!

Flinx

Archived