Gibson Brands Forums

My brand spankin' new J45 True Vintage Adi Top is on the way!!!

Rock Bottom

Hey Folks...I am PSYCHED!!!!!

Just received an e-mail from my dealer informing me that Gibson has shipped him my newly ordered J45 TV with Adirondack Red Spruce top. Arriving in the shop tomorrow!

While at the dealer, I'm having a Fishman Matrix Infinity installed as well as doing a setup with John Pearse strings, then its on its way to me. I must say...I am VERY EXCITED about this purchase as well as a super price (45% off MSRP) and can't wait to get this baby home.

Please chime in with your J45 TV love stories.... !!!

Hey Folks...I am PSYCHED!!!!!

Just received an e-mail from my dealer informing me that Gibson has shipped him my newly ordered J45 TV with Adirondack Red Spruce top. Arriving in the shop tomorrow!

While at the dealer' date=' I'm having a Fishman Matrix Infinity installed as well as doing a setup with John Pearse strings, then its on its way to me. I must say...I am VERY EXCITED about this purchase as well as a super price (45% off MSRP) and can't wait to get this baby home.

Please chime in with your J45 TV love stories.... !!![/quote']

45% off MSRP??? That's INSANE...

Can you PM me the dealer?

Thx

Thanks, guys.

The camera is ready and waiting for the opening of the case on Day One.

As far as the differences between a J45 and the True Vintage (TV) model, here are a few (I may have missed some):

The TV has:

- no electronics installed

- scalloped bracing (making it less "stiff" as well as lighter than a standard J45, which BTW I also enjoyed playing)

- "old school" white button tuners (lighter than those heavier grovers on the J45)

- a bone nut and saddle

- Adirondack red spruce

- Old style Banner logo w/ "Only a Gibson is good enough"

I have been told that overall the guitar is more "woody" and authentic sounding, as well as crisper with greater note separation due to the scalloped bracing and Adi top.

Other J45TV lovers, please chime in with additional specs or corrections, as I have yet to receive mine.

Mmmmmmm, I can smell it now..... the click-click of the shiny new latches as you open each one in wide-eyed anticipation....... the little squeak from where the shiny, black new case edges rub together ever so slightly...... the woodsy aroma when you open the case for the first time................ that brilliant glass-like shine that greets you as the sunlight falls upon the beauty that lays inside....... ahhhh, life is good.

I just received my new 2010 J45 standard and I feel like I just played one of the best sounding guitars and I have been playing since 94. I loved the tone the first time I played it which is a good sign. If Gibson is putting out guitars that sound this good right now you are probably going to be loving your J45TV. Let us know how it sounds when you get it in.

Congrats on the TV. It really is a great guitar. Are you serious about the 45% of msrp? That's less than $1800. We could all use one at that price!

The folks at the Bozeman shop really take pride in the True Vintage line. They hold their own against the real vintage '45's very well.

G.G; nicely done on capturing the anticipation that's probably going on in Rock Bottom's mind right now.

As far as additional spec's; don't forget the 17th fret marker dot, 3-ply rosette, "belly-up" bridge (for some reason, as it's not orig to the early '40's models it's inspired by), the aged finish (so the lacquer is further thinned by a little wet-sanding(?)) which you could always buff/polish a little if you wanted more shine, and of course, that period-correct ('cept for the block Gibson logo near the handle, & flat style latches) case with the cool tan exterior color and bizarre vintage fuchsia interior color.

Enjoy.

Congrats on the TV. It really is a great guitar. Are you serious about the 45% of msrp? That's less than $1800. We could all use one at that price!

The folks at the Bozeman shop really take pride in the True Vintage line. They hold their own against the real vintage '45's very well.

G.G; nicely done on capturing the anticipation that's probably going on in Rock Bottom's mind right now.

As far as additional spec's; don't forget the 17th fret marker dot' date=' 3-ply rosette, "belly-up" bridge (for some reason, as it's not orig to the early '40's models it's inspired by), the aged finish (so the lacquer is further thinned by a little wet-sanding(?)) which you could always buff/polish [i']a little [/i]if you wanted more shine, and of course, that period-correct ('cept for the block Gibson logo near the handle, & flat style latches) case with the cool tan exterior color and bizarre vintage fuchsia interior color.

Enjoy.

The MSRP is $3,874. Check your math... : )

The fingerboard also has traditional binding over the fret ends. They also are using the hot hide glue process on this guitar.

All in all, a VERY special guitar.

Rock Bottom,

Unless I overlooked it, I did not see anyone mention the forward shifted bracing used in the J-45 TV as opposed to the bracing in the standard J-45 (both of which are scalloped). This bracomg is supposed to be similar to forward-shifted bracing in the Advanced Jumbo.

There is no fretboard binding on the J-45.

Perhaps the thing that stands out the most to me is the lightness of build used on the TVs, mine weighs in at just under 4 lbs. and feels considerably lighter compared to many other similar sized guitars. Even my smaller OM-sized guitar feels quite a bit heavier (it does have rosewood back and sides).

Hope you enjoy your new J-45.

Regardless of whether it is a standard or a TV series model, J-45s can be wonderful, versatile guitars.

Here are a couple of tracks I've recorded with mine:

Walking Nick (Standard tuning)

Corn On The Cob (Open D tuning)

All the best,

Guth

The MSRP is $3' date='874. Check your math... : )

[/quote']

Uh..., $2131? Still a darn good price.

'Forgot to mention the combination of the wood selection, lacquer, and hot hide glue all

combine to make it intoxicating before you even hear it!

Thanks to all...especially Gilliangirl for making me salivate even further over this astounding piece of "guit-architecture"...I'm feeling like Pavlov's dog right now!

OH Yeah!!!!! How could I forget???...the hot hide glue, fretboard binding, forward shifted bracing, aged finish, lightweight of 4lbs....good lord...will this ever end?????? The anticipation is killing me! Don't know if I'll make it to next week...

I'll just keep playing GUTH's tracks over and over to get the monkey off my back, but I fear that even that won't help!!!!!!!!!!

Rock Bottom' date='

Unless I overlooked it, I did not see anyone mention the forward shifted bracing used in the J-45 TV as opposed to the bracing in the standard J-45 (both of which are scalloped). This bracomg is supposed to be similar to forward-shifted bracing in the Advanced Jumbo.

[/quote']

The back's braces are also different: taller and thinner. They also taper at different points.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most important difference: the J45TV is sprinkled with awesome-dust. You can't see it, but when you play one, you will know.

Red 333 (who is DELIGHTED with his J45 TV Red Spruce)

The Adi top and forward-shifted bracing are the big winners in TV-land for me. They are ridiculously fine instruments, some of the best Gibsons out there...in terms of old-school Gibsonage, the only thing that betters them are the Legend series, but that's a different beast entirely.

Archived